Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next
MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 03:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Marty said: "Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Was a good question...Grit will be along to apologize pretty soon, nothing wrong with that! I would, if I ever offended someone unnecessarily. [emoticon]

Jerry

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 03:49pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MFL wrote:

Marty said: "Actually I like the "what if it were a front tire?"

Was a good question...Grit will be along to apologize pretty soon, nothing wrong with that! I would, if I ever offended someone unnecessarily. [emoticon]

Jerry

He hasn't apologized yrt6!
I'll leave him in the Perverbial dog house in the mean time.

My swag, the big three could easily come up with 7500-8500 grawr setups, have 500 min more lbs of payload than an equal dw setup. My 286 65 18 tires on my 1500 are close to 4000 per tire. A 305 or 315 should put one over 8000.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 07:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

My swag, the big three could easily come up with 7500-8500 grawr setups, have 500 min more lbs of payload than an equal dw setup. My 286 65 18 tires on my 1500 are close to 4000 per tire. A 305 or 315 should put one over 8000.

Marty

Last winter I checked in on one of the Dodge/Ram diesel forums where one forum member does a talk with a Ram engineer topic every so often.
The very question came up why doesn't Ram uprate their 3500 srw 11.5" AAM rawr to 7.8k-8k + lbs.
Engineer covered a few reasons but the main one being new OEM uprated wheels (load and diameter) would have to be mfg'ed and the tire industry would have to come up with tire lines to meet 4k-4.5k tire diameter and load ratings/psi rating and possible a F load range for the new OEM wheels.

GM may be the first to upgrade their 3500 srw to the 8k +/- range. They sure made a good move on the 10500 rawr on their drw trucks.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Jim,
The guy is full of sheet! 265-70-19.5 lrG will net you iir 5000-5500 per tire. Iirc their is a 285 too. Closer to 5500 yet! Granted you would have to go to a 10 lug setup to have "EASY" access to tires. Those are 33-35" or so in diam. A 245 shy of 5000 iirc, is 32.5", 225s 31.5", 4100?!?!? Lbs capacity in lr g. Should go outside like at my IHC...
So assuming you can build a 10-11k RA, 6K FA, talking class 4 truck with singles. If you can get an 8' put on it, great rig for the 12' slide campers, larger 5W setups.
It can be done now. I can see where rim manufactures in typical 8 lug class 3 sizes could be screwed. This would not, nor should it be a 35 series or smaller gvw. It's solid 45 series truck.

Marty

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/17/22 09:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I think this thru a bit, there's no SWv19.5s mad in mass right now. Rims would be an issue with this option. Everything else should be an easy put together. Assuming a steel wheel option, should not be too hard. Outer rim is same as a dw. Need the center part designed, weld to outer rim...
Aluminum, would be another issue.

Marty

Me Again

Sunbird(Wa)/snowbird(Az)

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/17/22 10:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

blt2ski wrote:

Now that I think this thru a bit, there's no SWv19.5s mad in mass right now. Rims would be an issue with this option. Everything else should be an easy put together. Assuming a steel wheel option, should not be too hard. Outer rim is same as a dw. Need the center part designed, weld to outer rim...
Aluminum, would be another issue.

Marty

And we all know what a smooth ride the 19.5'a at that rating supply, not!

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 09:29am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Chris,

Ive not had any problem with my IHC with 225's on it! Like LT tires, some do have a stiffer ride than others, depending upon the case construction. It is an option that nets full capacity, to FBL tread limits, some are even a bit more than FBL width amounts.

At the end of the day, tires are available, whether we as consumers want them on a given rig or not is another story.

Marty

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 10:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Apologies for further mucking up a thread, that was frankly started with that intention anyway.
But don’t believe that t2r was doing anything but also trying to add to the mess by his interjection. Think about it….
It was the typical “3rd grader” response that so many on here feel the need to put forth at the weirdest times, for what personal satisfaction I can’t begin to understand.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 11:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

One aspect is many one ton srw owners didn't want a drw and a rougher ride....or didn't need 4 tires and 10500 lb rawr payloads.

Most of us are old enough to remember for years all we had was 16" and later 16.5" tires and wheels. Thankfully the 16.5" were dropped in favor of our current 17"/18"/20" tires and wheels. New OEM 18" and 20" took a while for wheel and tire mfg to mass produce enough for all the LDT manufactures.
It will be interesting to see what Ram/GM/ Ford truck mfg come up for the next new gen mass produced higher capacity tires and wheels as gawrs on these trucks are steadily going up.

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/18/22 12:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

time2roll is on a roll! 2 fish with one cast!
Remember, he's not thinking in practical, probable, real world terms...
Just curious why all the comfort and security is given to a flat tire on the rear of a dually.
Seems like the front tire is a bigger issue. No great solution for the front that I know of.

This is the practical real world. Unless an issue with the front is mitigated with having four in the rear. Is there actually a greater chance of an issue with dual wheels? There is a wider area to collect debris and potentially something gets between the sidewalls.

Do SRW and DRW have the same number of rear tire issues? (not withstanding overload)

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 6  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Point to ponder, hornets nest stir
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.