cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Goodbye China Bombs, Hello Made In The USA

Arn
Explorer
Explorer
9,000lb trailer with load range D tires which came on the trailer. I just had my second blowout in only a few hundred miles. Time to go to load range E in a Goodyear Endurance. Thinking the D is not heavy duty enough & thinking I need to go Goodyear. It will be nice to tow without worrying about my tires.
Arn

1958 Me
1963 Her
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 33RLDS
2020 Silverado LTZ Crew, 5.3 Max Trailering Pkg.
17 REPLIES 17

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
On my third set of Maxxis 8008 with zero issues. I balance with balance beads.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

BarabooBob
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do yourself a favor and install a tire pressure monitoring system (tpms) I put mine on just before our last rip and it saved me from having a major breakdown. My parking brake did not release properly and the rear hub started getting hot. My tpms let me know that the tire was getting hot and I was able to get the parking brake to release. I could have overheat the grease seal on the rear axle which would have resulted in loosing the differential grease and possibly ruining the rear end. I would have ended the trip.

I put the tpms on the truck and TT.
Bob & Dawn Married 34 years
2017 Viking 17RD
2011 Ford F150 3.5L Ecoboost 420 lb/ft
Retired

1320Fastback
Explorer
Explorer
I mounted, static balanced and used metal valve stems on both our trailers using Endurance tires. All were born within 4 months of delivery from Simple Tire.
1992 D250 Cummins 5psd
2005 Forest River T26 Toy Hauler

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
My Trailer King RST had two failures in the last week. The tires are just 3 years old. Properly inflated, watched the temps until the tire went.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

rmnpcolorado
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Arn wrote:
9,000lb trailer with load range D tires which came on the trailer.

If you're insinuating the tires are 7-8 years old, I wouldn't necessarily blame the tires....

I agree with Grit. If these were still the original tires as youโ€™re referring to them as, they probably should have been replaced 3-4 years ago. It doesnโ€™t matter who the manufacturer is/was, theyโ€™re past their prime. I had two made in the USA Goodyears blow that were only 3-4 years old. Got me to replace the other two real quick.
2020 Ford F-150 3.5L w/Max Tow
2023 Riverside RV Intrepid 240BHi

Nv_Guy
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had nothing but bad experiences with Chinese tires. The one "failure" I had since I switched to Goodyears was due to a valve stem popping out. Lesson learned, I replaced all valve stems with metal screw in type. Zero issues since then.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
The other day one blew out just sitting in the yard. It's possible that the dealer may have over inflated them. I'm getting ready to get five new Carslie tires for it from Discount Tire.

I've had tires on Skyline RV trailer (Marathon ST from Goodyear) and several ST/LT/P (different brands and all made in the usa) on various implement trailers just blow out while sittings over the years....or as a spare. Usually they were well used tires with lots of miles on them.

Its possible someone put to much psi in them.... then heating from the sun made even more psi.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fished wrote:
I just bought a Keystone Cougar, it had four Trailer King tires on it. The other day one blew out just sitting in the yard. It's possible that the dealer may have over inflated them. I'm getting ready to get five new Carslie tires for it from Discount Tire.

Valve stem failing sitting, yep, have had that happen once.

Tires sitting around and blowing out, no, never had that happen.

Possible? Sure.

Not very likely though.

Perhaps examine the valve stems, if you have tires with sidewall pressures listed above 50PSI then high pressure valve stems should be employed.. Typically high pressure stems will be made of brass metal unlike low pressure stems which are all rubber with brass liner for the valve..

High pressure stems

Standard stems

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Fished wrote:
I just bought a Keystone Cougar, it had four Trailer King tires on it. The other day one blew out just sitting in the yard. It's possible that the dealer may have over inflated them. I'm getting ready to get five new Carslie tires for it from Discount Tire.

Possible, yes. But highly unlikely even if they overinflated a fair bit it caused a static blowout.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Fished
Explorer
Explorer
2019 Ford F150
2020 Keystone Cougar
USAF Retired

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arn wrote:
9,000lb trailer with load range D tires which came on the trailer. I just had my second blowout in only a few hundred miles. Time to go to load range E in a Goodyear Endurance. Thinking the D is not heavy duty enough & thinking I need to go Goodyear. It will be nice to tow without worrying about my tires.

If you are loading full 9,000 lbs then load range D tires are "marginal" for your needs. LRD gets you around 2100 lbs per tire at 65 PSI or 8,400 lbs..

I have a 10K flatbed trailer and it came with LR E tires which have side wall pressure of 80 PSI..

I also have a 7,000 GVWR travel trailer which originally had LR C tires which were rated around 1,700 lbs at 50 PSI. I have been running LR D tires which have about 2,100 lbs capacity at 65 PSI and for the yrs I have been using them no blow outs..

It isn't who or where the tire was made but if you are overloading and/or underinflating the tire that really is the problem.

It is very easy to blame the tire manufacturer or where it was made but in reality the manufacturer of the trailer should have spec'd a tire with more capacity.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
I kept the Trailer Kings that came on the trailer for the first year we had it. Second season I noticed bulges on the side walls. We made it home taking back roads going slower than being on the E-way. Took it next day and got my Goodyear Endurance put on. Haven't worried since.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Arn wrote:
9,000lb trailer with load range D tires which came on the trailer.

If you're insinuating the tires are 7-8 years old, I wouldn't necessarily blame the tires....
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bolljl
Explorer III
Explorer III
Arn wrote:

Good Choice getting Goodyear Endurance,
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually 4X4 CUMMINS
2013 Lifestyle LS35SB, MORryde IS System
AIRSAFE, Air Hitch