cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

programing of Mercedes key fob

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2018 PleasureWay XLMB that is built on a 2017 Sprinter chassis. Recently one of my key fobs quit working and the other works as it should. I've changed the batteries, cleaned the contacts and still cannot get it to work. I tried programing it from info I found online and key fob worked for a couple of days and then quit again.

I contacted a mobile locksmith that specializes in European vehicles and he brought a new key fob and cut a new key. But when he went to program the fob so that it would unlock the doors it simply would not program no matter how many ways he tried it. I was told that there are
two programs in this fob. One deals with the starting of the engine and this works fine and this is true on my old fob as well as the new one.The other program deals with the unlocking of the doors. Neither the old nor new fob will program to unlock the doors. After a couple hours of trying the locksmith gave up and left.

At this point am I stuck with having to bring the vehicle into a MB dealership for programing of the fob. Keep in mind that I still have one original key fob that works as it should so I'm thinking there's not a problem with the vehicle end of things.
11 REPLIES 11

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:

Maybe they changed something. This was about 10 years ago.

That something was that Automakers realized they were losing a revenue stream by letting their customers program their own keys.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
In my case, even if you can afford the part, MB will not sell it to you.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thats about what I found. You can afford a Benz you can afford to pay, at least that is how they act.

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Just talked to the Sprinter service guy at Mercedes who told me that he feels the key fob has failed and will not try to reprogram it. He wants me to order a new key and fob from Mercedes for $170 and then pay another $225 to program it. Went to order the parts and was told Mercedes is short on parts and if you still have one fob that operates, they will not sell you another until maybe, just maybe January of 2023.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
ernie1 wrote:
dodge guy: Tried that probably a dozen times with no luck.

Maybe they changed something. This was about 10 years ago.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy: Tried that probably a dozen times with no luck.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
A Benz fob doesnโ€™t need to be programmed from what I remember. You just put it in the ignition and turn it to run and it programs itself!
Maybe the newer ones are different?
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ernie1
Explorer
Explorer
Hmmm! Mgirrado this is probably what I'm up against. Thanks.

mgirardo
Explorer
Explorer
We encountered the same thing with our son's Volvo. We bought key fobs on Amazon and took them to the largest and oldest Locksmith in town, after confirming they could do it. One of their machines was not capable of programming the fobs. The other machine would only program the key to start the car. Digging a little deeper, the tech found that the car's Immobilizer system had to be decrypted to get the 4 digit code needed to program the fob to unlock the doors and start the car. Volvo would not provide the locksmith with the 4 digit code, so we made an appointment to come back since the decryption process took several hours. They charged $50 to program the key fobs. It took about 5 hours to get the key fobs programmed.

The only other option for us would have been driving an hour to a Volvo dealer and pay close to $300 per key fob. We bought 2 fobs on Amazon for $70.

-Michael
Michael Girardo
2017 Jayco Jayflight Bungalow 40BHQS Destination Trailer
2009 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS Class C Motorhome (previously owned)
2006 Rockwood Roo 233 Hybrid Travel Trailer (previously owned)
1995 Jayco Eagle 12KB pop-up (previously owned)

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
A Dodge is a Mercedes cousin of some sorts and our Smart car is also made by Mercedes--in France. It cost us around $300 to get the FOB fixed. I refused but SHE got it straightened out---fixed, new, ???? I don't dare ask.

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just got a fob for our 2018 RAM 2500. The locksmith had to order the fob, the he had a programming box about 12 inches by 10 inches with a screen. Took the original key put it in the ignition switch, plugged the box into the OBDII port and fiddled for 10 minutes before getting it programmed. Cost $228.
No telling what the Dodge dealer would charge.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper