Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: 2019 Kodiak water in wheel well
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2019 Kodiak water in wheel well

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 09:46am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I recently sold my NL TC and moved to a 2019 Kodiak Ultra Lite 201QB. Its in great shape but that never means "perfect" though what is.

I've taken it on 1 weekend trip and with heavy rain found the kitchen window seal faulty (4+ inch butyl tape gap at top). After pulling and reinstalling correctly that seems good.

When I ran the hose over window all was good with no lake on the counter. However, i still saw water in the wheel well. Inspecting outside the best i can figure is that either the band holding the skirt on or the wheel well extension must be the source.

Other than shooting proflex into the screw holes, is there anything else? This really seems like a dumb design to have screws installed all the way around with a silicon bead as protection. The wheel well extension is semiflexible and driving will cause it to fail any sealant bead pretty quickly.

I have pictures but not seeing how (and can't remember wither) to upload.

Turtle n Peeps

California

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 11:02am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How to post a photo

~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 01:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bkenobi wrote:

I recently sold my NL TC and moved to a 2019 Kodiak Ultra Lite 201QB. Its in great shape but that never means "perfect" though what is.

I've taken it on 1 weekend trip and with heavy rain found the kitchen window seal faulty (4+ inch butyl tape gap at top). After pulling and reinstalling correctly that seems good.

When I ran the hose over window all was good with no lake on the counter. However, i still saw water in the wheel well. Inspecting outside the best i can figure is that either the band holding the skirt on or the wheel well extension must be the source.

Other than shooting proflex into the screw holes, is there anything else? This really seems like a dumb design to have screws installed all the way around with a silicon bead as protection. The wheel well extension is semiflexible and driving will cause it to fail any sealant bead pretty quickly.

I have pictures but not seeing how (and can't remember wither) to upload.

I have not had nor seen any TT or 5'r that the wheel wells were designed or installed waterproof. Out of sight out of mind is the RV Industry method of QC and QA. In fact on most if you look close you'll find exposed raw wood somewhere. Remove the wheels, get a can of undercoating, and spray the hell out of everything.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 04:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I'm saying water is visible inside the living space (under the kitchen cabinets). The metal wheel wells are visible from inside if i look over the luan wall under the plumbing. Its not uncommon for there to be water inside without any way to drain?

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 08:40pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I have some 3M tape that I used with the TC to confirm the source of a leak. I just used it to seal off the lower skirt and fender extension. I ran around a gallon of water all around the window and no new water in the wheel well. I removed the tape a little at a time and found that the leak is in one specific location at either a screw or the unsealed gap above it on the fender extension.

Are these typically just screwed on or do they use butyl tape as well? Seems liek butyl tape would be best so I'm assuming they would save the money and not do it. Since it needs resealing anyway I'll have to pull the plastic and see what I'm working with.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/18/22 09:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Here's some photos

Driver's side of camper:
[image]

Driver's side front of fender extension/side skirt junction:
[image]
The leak appears to be coming from just to the right of this image at the next screw location. I didn't have another closeup but this shows the general installation.

Passenger's side front of fender extension/side skirt junction:
[image]

Inside living space side of fender with visible water:
[image]

Inside living space side of fender with visible water:
[image]

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/22 12:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Have you checked the roof? Water can leak in at the roof, find its way into the laminated wall panel between the foam and luan, and come out at the bottom of the panel. Your picture seems to have some yellow material that may be the water based adhesive leaching out if the above is happening although the adhesive is typically red.

Just about every trailer made has the same plastic fender skirt such as your Kodiak installed the same exact way. Re caulk the top of in and remove, back caulk, and reinstall the screws.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/19/22 09:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

Have you checked the roof? Water can leak in at the roof, find its way into the laminated wall panel between the foam and luan, and come out at the bottom of the panel. Your picture seems to have some yellow material that may be the water based adhesive leaching out if the above is happening although the adhesive is typically red.

Just about every trailer made has the same plastic fender skirt such as your Kodiak installed the same exact way. Re caulk the top of in and remove, back caulk, and reinstall the screws.

I ran the hose on the roof rolling down the wall initially. It's possible there are more leaks but so far I have only located 2. The window is now fixed. The fender flare definitely has a leak. I pulled the plastic off and found rust on one of the screw's threads so that's definitely a suspect location. That one was in the same general area where water dumped on the outside resulted in water inside.

I was surprised to see a leak down there too since this TT looks identical construction as every other one I have seen as far as the plastic fender flare. I'm thinking that the best bet is to use butyl tape to seal the fender to the side of the camper. As opposed to proflext and silicon it will last for the life of the camper. I'll probably also shoot some proflex in the screw holes, too.

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 08:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

After talking to a couple local dealers, I've decided that cleaning with Acrysol to remove the silicon is a best bet. Then I'll use squares of butyl tape on the screw holes to properly seal and use proflex caulking. The only problem is that two of the screws are behind the skirt and I'd rather not remove the whole skirt right now. If I can fix this leak without having to do that, I can get some use out of this thing.

Screw hold on right may be the source of the leak. The others on the fiberglass should be simple to deal with. The one on the lower left (one matching on opposite end) is going to be challenging to seal unless I can reach it from under the skirt.
[image]

I pulled the opposite fender flare and didn't see any corrosion on any of the screws (though they forgot to install one lol).

bkenobi

View Profile

Posted: 06/23/22 08:28pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Upon closer inspection today i noticed that there is a gap in the fender that isnt sealed that creates a relatively large opening into the living space. I dont know if it would let water in, but both would make a great entrance for a colony of bees! I've added spray foam so it should be resolved now. Details are important and I'm starting to think either this mfg or all mfg just don't care about critical things to prevent huge issues down the road.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Travel Trailers  >  General Q&A

> 2019 Kodiak water in wheel well
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Travel Trailers

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.