cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Slide Brake Problem

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2010 Lance 1181. A couple weeks ago, prior to going out of town for a vacation, I attempted to retract the slide. It moved a couple inches then stopped. I changed the remote battery, tried the cable connect to the remote, plugged into shore power, all with no resolve.

I did notice the controller acted funny as the normal in and out buttons (left front jack) for the slide did nothing, but the button for the right front would cause a click that I assumed was a solenoid. Also, the ALL UP and ALL DOWN buttons just changed the unit from JACKS to SLIDE and back. I tried to use the manual crank and it would not budge.

The next morning, I decided to give the slide a little lift and shove while my wife tried the crank. Nothing. I decided to try the remote again. First I noted the buttons seemed to make the solenoid clicking using the right buttons. So I held the IN button and in it came. Also the other buttons worked as normal

Here is the real question. Why can't I get the override crank to work? I have flipped the Brake Switch to off, pulled the fuse at the motor, nothing works.

I am attaching a photo of the motor. There is a manual lever on it to engage and disengage the motor, but I have not been able to move the lever. Does anyone have this on their slide motor? If so, how do you move the lever. I don't want to use any force possibly braking something.
Dale & Rose Cavin, Marianna, FL
2004 Dodge Laramie dually , Cummins diesel
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:
2004 Lance 1121 (lost to hurricane Michael 10/10/18)
11 REPLIES 11

joerg68
Nomad II
Nomad II
You might try to contact the people that make these, maybe they have an idea?

https://www.gamainc.com/product/acjrelay/
2014 Ford F350 XLT 6.2 SCLB + 2017 Northstar Arrow

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of a replacement for the Atwood electronics to run their jacks and slide? The Lippert replacement has also been discontinued.

Dale
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam, I don't think so.

If I can't find an Atwood combo remote I think I will need to replace the receiver and remote for jacks only. Those are available. then hardwire a switch to operate the slide.

My 1121 had a switch for the slide and it never was a problem. I also know that the older 1181's have a hard wired switch for the slide.

I will call Lance this week to see if someone there actually has some knowledge about this issue.

Dale
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

Bedlam
It is similar to the Lippert Powergear motor. You may be able to convert or adapt your setup to it.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I called Dometic. The item I need is no longer available. :M
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Atwood was purchased by Dometic in 2014, have you tried contacting them? Unfortunately the first thing Dometic did after the acquisition was immediatly start to cheapen Atwoods products and in a lot of cases simply abandon / discontinue them. Replacement parts for a lot of Atwoods previous products are non existent. As far as that goes replacement parts for a lot of Dometic's newer products are non existent as well. You have to love the RV industry.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
Update. The controller has gone nuts. We just returned from a camping trip and I had to remove the battery from the remote as the slide tried to push out, or the left front jack tried to extend without my input.

I think it is the remote. Anyone know where I can get a Atwood remote model 88022? It isn't fun cranking the slide and 4 jacks by hand.

Dale
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
As I noted above, I was finally able to move the lever in the photo to OFF. Doing so released the motor brake and I was able to crank the slide by hand.

The electronic brake switch, which is on step to the bed area, still does not by itself release the brake, but it does prevent the slide motor from running when in the off position.
2010 Lance 1181
Previous:

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
An automatic brake with manual override is common and helpls hold the slide in place. Check the wires at the motor to see if you have power when the button is pushed.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dale I was going to post but mine is nothing like that. I have an 07 and the switch is mounted on the wall inside the door and I have a completely different motor. My electric brake switch is in the kitchen cabinet so nothing is on the jack remote. If I understood you correctly.

bookmaker
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:

I kept fiddling with the lever and got it to move to the OFF position. Yes, it is the brake release. With it OFF, I can crank the slide in or out. It isn't easy, but will do if needed.

Two other 1181 owners, one the same year as mine have different motors without the brake unit on the back of the motor. Apparently, mine was changed at some point.

Dale
2010 Lance 1181
Previous: