cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GM 6.6 & 3:73

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Looking for actual input, experience not opinions without experience.
Anyone that has a GM, 6.6 gas with 373 gears, towing I would like to know your experience with towing power, fuel mileage and overall performance.
Again, looking for actual information and maybe a comparison to what you had before. thanks in advance. Jeff
12 REPLIES 12

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Dadoffourgirls wrote:
I had a 2020 6.6 gas reg cab dually. I towed 15k lbs (gooseneck with round hay bales) many times. It was in Michigan. No issues, and had experienced some uphills from a stop.

Yeah, from the field to the farm, a few miles at most. You can put up with it being slow and anemic. You might even think it's fast and powerful.

I fell into that with my enclosed trailer and 2003 Silverado 1500 4.8L. Towed it great around town. Acceptable for 50-mile trips. After the first 200+ mile trip, I knew I didn't want to do that forever.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Well, it will do slightly better than a 6.0 3.73 6speed truck.
But will not be an earth shattering improvement.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Actually Peoria, Arizona. Hills normally to get me out of the valley to anywhere, been over a few big ones in the past, Wolf Creek Pass and can't remember the other one east of Yellowstone,plus a couple more, california through oregon etc, Nevada, utah etc. but with 6.0 and 3:7 3 gas, slow and struggled some but overall did well. thanks

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
jffnkrn wrote:
Looking for actual input, experience not opinions without experience.
Anyone that has a GM, 6.6 gas with 373 gears, towing I would like to know your experience with towing power, fuel mileage and overall performance.
Again, looking for actual information and maybe a comparison to what you had before. thanks in advance. Jeff

Sorry no experience, just opinion.
Towing 14K with a gas 3500 SRW, you will have plenty of payload, and I assume Peoria it the one in Illinois, as long as you stay in the plains states pulling should not be an issue.
If you travel to either coast that 6.6 may need to rev a bit in the hills, but it will get you there.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 2020 6.6 gas reg cab dually. I towed 15k lbs (gooseneck with round hay bales) many times. It was in Michigan. No issues, and had experienced some uphills from a stop.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Towing a fifth wheel, GVWR at 14K. I am just looking at comparisons on what others had from gas to gas, more specifically the change form the 6.0 to the 6.6, gas yes, 4:10 or 3:73, Preferably the 3:73. Just getting some real life info. not opinions. thanks

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
They're slightly better than a 6.0/6 speed/4.10 truck.
The lose some of the new power to the taller gear ratio and obviously the trans isn't adding anything to the equation.

Milquetoast offering for a "new" high dollar HD truck. Both the Godzilla 10 speed and Hemi 8 speed out pull it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

MNRon
Explorer
Explorer
OP, you might want to add some info on what you plan to tow. I towed an 8-9000lb TT with a GM 8.1 gasser back ~15yrs ago. It pulled well (except up steep grades in Rockies) and never passed a gas station without stopping. Pulled 14-17k 5ers the last 10yrs with dieselsโ€ฆno comparison.
Ron & Pat
2022 F350 Lariat CCSB SRW Diesel
2019 VanLeigh Vilano 320 GK

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then sorry can't help. Last gasser I had was a 1987 Silverado 1500 with the 350/5.7 On my third Duramax 2005, 2011, and current 2018 pulling three different Fifth Wheels, but very close to the same mileage with all combinations.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
Michelle.S wrote:
Before I can answer, are your talking 6.6 Gas or 6.6 Duramax Diesel????????
Will make a huge difference in the answers you get.

sorry, I just updated my post, Gas.

routeforty
Explorer
Explorer
My 05 duramax ,3:73,towing a 28โ€™ TT about 6000lbs, mostly from Ohio to eastern shore of Maryland via Interstate 68 averaged about 12mpg. But I donโ€™t get in any hurry going anywhere(speed limit or less)
2018 coachmen leprechaun class c 2008 KZ spree 260FL

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before I can answer, are your talking 6.6 Gas or 6.6 Duramax Diesel????????
Will make a huge difference in the answers you get.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint