cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Furrion Glass stove tops

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone had experience with the glass cover on the range "exploding" and bits of glass flying within the RV?
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.
16 REPLIES 16

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Glass bowls, drinking glasses, and such, don't like me. If I look at them wrong they break. I converted everything I own over to plastic, stainless steel, or aluminum.

If I had a glass top stove I think I would swap it out.

Haven't I herd somewhere about a type of travel trailer or 5th wheel RV that had a glass front and they would break at random ? Or, did I dream that ?
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
dedmiston wrote:
You drop a Pyrex bowl and you'll regret the day you were born.

Been there, done that.

It's a pain to clean up but other than getting in trouble for breaking her favorite baking dish...nothing earth shattering about it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dedmiston
You drop a Pyrex bowl and you'll regret the day you were born.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
gbopp wrote:
No but, I have seen a Pyrex mixing bowl explode when it was picked up by the handle. The bowl was empty and at room temperature.
Thousands of pieces.

Pyrex and the stove covers are forms of safety glass (toughened). When they break, they are purposely intended to shatter in many small (generally square) pieces. A pain to clean up but unlikely to cause serious injury.

This is different from standard glass which often shatters into long sharp shards which can be dangerous.

Generally safety glass is less prone to shattering but it can. Putting it down over a hot burner is one potential cause (similar to pouring boiling water in an ice cold glass. the outer layer heats up faster than the inner layer and expands. If it expands too much, something gives and it shatters). Another is a sharp impact by a solid item in a very small area (like the edge of a pot). You will see on busses and subways, little hammers with pointed ends to break windows in the event of an emergency. Because the energy is focused on a small area, it is easy to put a crack in the window. Once a crack forms, it propagates over a grid pattern taking out the entire window.

I'm not crazy about it on our stove but if it breaks, we'll probably go the cutting board route.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to have happened to other Sunseeker owners.

At This Link for one.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
First time I've seen this topic posted.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

Gooma
Explorer
Explorer
Did yours explode?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Richert wrote:
Has anyone had experience with the glass cover on the range "exploding" and bits of glass flying within the RV?

No, but what were YOUR circumstances that lead up to the event?

I really have no idea why they would but a glass cover on such a large area that produces goobs and goobs of heat?

I took out the battery for the auto ignite cause I'd lean against it just reaching to the upper cabinet/microwave.. Sure, the knob has to be turned on too.. But, still. No need to have it as I've always used a fireplace 'clicker' to light them anyway.

If that ever happens to me, I'll just replace with a wooden cutting board and call it a day.

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
Was hoping for a little comedy fron this one. Thanks all. Unsubscribing....
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
No.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

dedmiston
I moved this one to General and closed the rest of them.

We'll send you an invoice for the duplicate threads.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
No but, I have seen a Pyrex mixing bowl explode when it was picked up by the handle. The bowl was empty and at room temperature.
Thousands of pieces.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
It evidently exploded because you posted the question in too many online boards, and pissed off some self appointed moderator types. That or you have belonged as a member here either too long or not long enough.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
The most common cause is reinstalling the cover when the HEAT of the burners has not dissipated(cool) enough and that sudden heat causes the top to "blow" after it slowly heats up the glass. Doug