cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

First big trip - Newbie questions

edgerelease
Explorer
Explorer
Hello - First (big) road trip using my 2022 Palomino HS 8801 truck camper. Do you recommend filling, or at least putting some fresh water in prior to the trip? I'll be on the highway primarily and will likely be stopping at a campground with hookups but you never know. Figure best to have some in there. I know weight is always an issue. Also, with the black tank set up, should I run some water in there before adding the deodorant?

I'm sure I'll have a million other little questions.
33 REPLIES 33

mbloof
Explorer
Explorer
mkirsch wrote:
1. Brand new camper = warranty. Call the dealer. The pump may be bad and they OWE you a replacement. You paid for it.

2. Here's a thought on the full water tank: TRY IT. It's WATER. If you find yourself unable to maintain control of the truck, or having scary moments getting the rig stopped because of the weight, or feel that its adversely affecting your fuel economy, you can just pull over and dump the water out.

However, if you are so close to catastrophe that an empty/full water tank makes the difference, you've got bigger problems to solve.

+1

Bedlam
Typically the filter is on the input side of the pump.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the filter on the suction side or pressure side of the pump?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh406 wrote:
Start at the closest faucet and go from there. If you have low point drains, start there.

You also can prime the pump with some water assuming you have access to it.

Definitely start with the low point drains.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
1. Brand new camper = warranty. Call the dealer. The pump may be bad and they OWE you a replacement. You paid for it.

2. Here's a thought on the full water tank: TRY IT. It's WATER. If you find yourself unable to maintain control of the truck, or having scary moments getting the rig stopped because of the weight, or feel that its adversely affecting your fuel economy, you can just pull over and dump the water out.

However, if you are so close to catastrophe that an empty/full water tank makes the difference, you've got bigger problems to solve.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

ticki2
Explorer
Explorer
An air leak on the suction side can also cause this . Check all fitting from water tank to pump .
'68 Avion C-11
'02 GMC DRW D/A flatbed

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Start at the closest faucet and go from there. If you have low point drains, start there.

You also can prime the pump with some water assuming you have access to it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

edgerelease
Explorer
Explorer
It's air. I can see it in the filter since it clear plastic. It's trying to clear it but can't. I don't know how to fix it. Super frustrating.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
You could have air in the system or you could be out of water or the pump isn't on.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

edgerelease
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, trouble in paradise. Brand spanking new camper and all of a sudden my water pump isn't working! I've only used it a couple times and it's been perfect. Do I have air in the system? How to get that thing primed again?? Assuming that is what the problem is...it is BRAND NEW!! HELP!

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I travel with a 12 pack of bottled water and 1.5 liter of Jim Beam. That said, I fill the water tank. I think the Bigfoot water tank is fully forward so that helps put some weight forward. I have 1,000# of freeboard so it doesn't make any difference. I always travel with about 5 gallons of water in the black tank with about a cup of blue Dawn. Drain it only when I have to. Refill with water and Dawn.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
notsobigjoe,

5% more in fuel cost? I get about 11 mpg. But I drive slowly. (about 79 mph) If I drive 80 mph that drops to 10 mpg.

My GVW is 14500, so I'm well within the limits.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
pianotuna wrote:
jimh406 wrote:
Since water weighs 8.3 lbs a gallon, my full tank was around 500 lbs. I saved a few hundred lbs by not filing it all of the way up.

My weight with ALL tanks full (black, gray, fresh, propane, and fuel) is 13750 lb. That included two humans, with the RV provisioned for a 2 week trip.

Fresh water is 80 us gallons or 664 lbs. That's less than 5% of the total weight. Not enough to make a difference in fuel economy.

With all due respect, I don't agree with that. 700 pounds is 700 pounds. I'm certainly not challenging your way of doing things just totally disagree.

Camper_Jeff___K
Nomad II
Nomad II
Fresh is always full, black and gray are always empty when traveling. Nothing sucks worse than not being prepared.