cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What Upgrades needed for a 3/4 ton pickup

rarin_2go
Explorer
Explorer
I want to thank everyone who responded to my other post "will a 3/4 do". It was very informative. I am making a new post because I thought I could get more answers than just asking on my other post. On to my question - I have a chance to get a chevy 2500 (used, late model, low miles) but it is not set up to tow a heavy 5th wheel with a towing package. What would I have to do to upgrade it to be able to safely tow my 14000 trailer? On the other hand I also have a chance to get an older GMC 2500 that already is beefed up with a trailer pkg and a snow plow setup but has higher miles already with a 5th wheel hitch. Both of these are extended cab and gassers. I quickly found a new truck is really beyond my price range.
To answer a statement make in my other post. My small number of posts on the forum is the result of illness in the family. We had what we thought was everything to go full time after retirement but it wasn't to be.

Thank you for helping me regear and go camping.
Mike
21 REPLIES 21

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
rarin'2go wrote:
I want to thank everyone who responded to my other post "will a 3/4 do". It was very informative. I am making a new post because I thought I could get more answers than just asking on my other post. On to my question - I have a chance to get a chevy 2500 (used, late model, low miles) but it is not set up to tow a heavy 5th wheel with a towing package. What would I have to do to upgrade it to be able to safely tow my 14000 trailer? On the other hand I also have a chance to get an older GMC 2500 that already is beefed up with a trailer pkg and a snow plow setup but has higher miles already with a 5th wheel hitch.

Couple comments, you've already heard plenty about how "well" the drivetrain will lug a trailer that size.
To your statement above, I'm not aware of any downgrading in cooling or drivetrain parts that would show 1 3/4 ton truck not having a towing package, vs another. Yes maybe auxiliary in bed trailer plug or 5th wheel prep package or similar. But there is no distinction on tow ratings based on a tow package I'm aware of.
Gearing though is a real thing, as mentioned already also.

If you meant one has a 5ver hitch already and the other doesn't, well, just consider that part of the cost/benefit calc for each truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would not tow a 14K 5th wheel in Western States without a diesel that has an exhaust brake. Or in the Eastern part of the country that has some steep down hills.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

spoon059 wrote:
Michelle.S wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but not sure I would be trying to pull a 14K Fifth wheel with a gasser unless it was all down hill.

This being RV.net in the tow vehicles section, I've got to disagree with you! 😉

If all my towing was downhill, I'd rather have the diesel with integrated exhaust brake!

That is actually a valid argument spoon ! ! !:B
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

Michelle_S
Explorer II
Explorer II
Then you would have a Diesel and not a Gasser, the down hill part was tongue and cheek.
2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Michelle.S wrote:
Maybe it's just me, but not sure I would be trying to pull a 14K Fifth wheel with a gasser unless it was all down hill.

This being RV.net in the tow vehicles section, I've got to disagree with you! 😉

If all my towing was downhill, I'd rather have the diesel with integrated exhaust brake!
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I've got a Chevy with the 6.0 and 3.73, and tow an 8000lb TT. That is all I'd want to tow with it. Newer ones have a little more HP, and 2 more gears, but it's gonna struggle with 14k.

If looking at 2020 or newer, look at Fords 7.3 gasser. It way out performs the Chevy 6.6 gas.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

blt2ski
Grit,
The 2014+ is that generally speaking, a lot of the gas motors did get significant HP/torque/mpg gains. More so in the under 8400 gvwr relm than 25/35 series. Hence recommendation. If as you point out, the last improvement was 2010 for the 6L gas, Go back that far. At that point in time, finding a rig in decent shape is a crapshoot at best
Even the 3.73 to 4.10 std option is not a big deal. The 6sp/3.73 is better than a 4Lxx with a 4.88 ratio from a get up and go stand point!
Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
mkirsch wrote:
rarin'2go wrote:
What would I have to do to upgrade it to be able to safely tow my 14000 trailer?

Short answer, NOTHING.

You could tow thousands upon thousands of miles with the truck stock, frame pushed down on the axle. As long as everything is mechanically in good shape and working, you'll perfectly safe.

You won't be comfortable, though.

The inability of this forum to differentiate between safety and comfort is unfathomable.

Unsafe is running on bald tires, brakes worn paper thin, wheel bearings growling...

Well said.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Also, the 6.0/4.10 combo of that time was rated to tow a FW around 15K. Not saying it would be a comfortable tow, but if OP is towing mostly flat midwest roads, it may be acceptable.

Jerry

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Now that I've reread intial better....
If the gas rigs are pre 2014, assuming a 6.0 gas, I would not buy that rig, 2500, 3500 SW or dw! A 6.6 gas is a way better option power wise. If at elevations below 6-7k' best. It will go to the 10-12k feet elevation in Rockies, but your down 30% of HP at those levels. If a single life time trip, go fo for it, if ALL the time over next 3+ years, get one of the diesels from last 10-15 yrs.
An ext cab may be ok payload wise, depending upon options 6.5 bed is 200 LS less than an 8' bed. The longer bed and wheelbase may be better than the loss of payload.

Marty

What’s the aversion to pre-2014? Same power and 6 speed back to at least 2010 as I recall.
I know the body/chassis updated in 2015 if that’s what you meant. But I’m not aware of any major chassis capability changes.
Regardless, OP shouldn’t even consider unless 4.10 gears.

IIRC, 2014 was the year GM 2500 6.0 went to 4.10 gearing as standard, since earlier standard was 3.73.

Jerry

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
rarin'2go wrote:
What would I have to do to upgrade it to be able to safely tow my 14000 trailer?

Short answer, NOTHING.

You could tow thousands upon thousands of miles with the truck stock, frame pushed down on the axle. As long as everything is mechanically in good shape and working, you'll perfectly safe.

You won't be comfortable, though.

The inability of this forum to differentiate between safety and comfort is unfathomable.

Unsafe is running on bald tires, brakes worn paper thin, wheel bearings growling...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Now that I've reread intial better....
If the gas rigs are pre 2014, assuming a 6.0 gas, I would not buy that rig, 2500, 3500 SW or dw! A 6.6 gas is a way better option power wise. If at elevations below 6-7k' best. It will go to the 10-12k feet elevation in Rockies, but your down 30% of HP at those levels. If a single life time trip, go fo for it, if ALL the time over next 3+ years, get one of the diesels from last 10-15 yrs.
An ext cab may be ok payload wise, depending upon options 6.5 bed is 200 LS less than an 8' bed. The longer bed and wheelbase may be better than the loss of payload.

Marty

What’s the aversion to pre-2014? Same power and 6 speed back to at least 2010 as I recall.
I know the body/chassis updated in 2015 if that’s what you meant. But I’m not aware of any major chassis capability changes.
Regardless, OP shouldn’t even consider unless 4.10 gears.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Wizard, didn’t think at all about the radiator and cooling. (Even though I’m very kool). Good response.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
Lwiddis wrote:
Remembering you can't change the manufacturer's payload limit or maximum rear axle limit, you could add airbags to level the tow vehicle and you could insure that the tires and wheels are rated for the weight anticipated.

Wheel and tire rating are more important than the manufacturer payload rating. Knowing EXACTLY which rear axle and ratio you have installed is also very important.

You will likely have to upgrade the radiator, transmission cooler and probably the rear axle ratio.

Remember, older vehicles will likely need tires, brake, shocks and probably front end parts !