Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: What Upgrades needed for a 3/4 ton pickup
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What Upgrades needed for a 3/4 ton pickup

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next
rarin'2go

Medway, OH, USA

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 12:34pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I want to thank everyone who responded to my other post "will a 3/4 do". It was very informative. I am making a new post because I thought I could get more answers than just asking on my other post. On to my question - I have a chance to get a chevy 2500 (used, late model, low miles) but it is not set up to tow a heavy 5th wheel with a towing package. What would I have to do to upgrade it to be able to safely tow my 14000 trailer? On the other hand I also have a chance to get an older GMC 2500 that already is beefed up with a trailer pkg and a snow plow setup but has higher miles already with a 5th wheel hitch. Both of these are extended cab and gassers. I quickly found a new truck is really beyond my price range.
To answer a statement make in my other post. My small number of posts on the forum is the result of illness in the family. We had what we thought was everything to go full time after retirement but it wasn't to be.

Thank you for helping me regear and go camping.

* This post was edited 06/21/22 02:59pm by rarin'2go *

Mike

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 01:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Remembering you can't change the manufacturer's payload limit or maximum rear axle limit, you could add airbags to level the tow vehicle and you could insure that the tires and wheels are rated for the weight anticipated.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 02:12pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

It would be helpful if you provided the actual details on the truck. 2500 is fairly generic and could result in wildly different answers.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 02:33pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Which body styles? A reg cab may not need anything more than a 5w hitch installed, and power plug in the bed.
On the other hand, an ext cab will weigh approx 500 or so more lbs than a reg cab, crew cab another 500 lbs more. 1000 less payload available in a crew cab. Some suspension and tire rim mods may be beneficial.

Marty

92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 03:37pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Maybe it's just me, but not sure I would be trying to pull a 14K Fifth wheel with a gasser unless it was all down hill.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

MFL

Midwest

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Post all specs of the late model 2500, transmission, rear end gearing, tires/wheels, for proper answers.

Forget about older, high mileage model.

Jerry

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 04:10pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

Maybe it's just me, but not sure I would be trying to pull a 14K Fifth wheel with a gasser unless it was all down hill.

Best answer yet.
Any "late model" unless it's a used '22 will be a 6.0 6speed, 3.73 or 4.10 gears and they havent changed in the drivetrain dept in about 10 years save for the new 6.6s which aren't mush better in the power dept anyway.
3.73 trucks are rated to tow about 10klbs GN/5ver and a non starter for that size camper IMO.
4.10 trucks are rated to tow about 14klbs GN/5ver

Suspension and chassis and cab type make no difference, really, the tow rating is based on how much power it has. Slap some airbags and a 5ver hitch in it and go. The chassis is up to the task no problem. Presume it has an integrated brake controller or you'll need one of them too.

IF it's a 4.10 truck and you'll be staying E of the Rockies and don't mind running with your hazards on in the truck lane up every grade, and 4th gear max on the flats it will pull...ok, at best, the rest of the time.

This is my analysis, not being the guy that holds up traffic and doesn't have time to wait for another birthday to roll by to get somewhere. If you're literally the person who is doing 55-60 mph max everywhere you go/tow and have the expectation that you will not be keeping up with, well, anyone except the Army convoys and heavy haulers, then it will be ok for you.

The truck drivetrain itself is pretty bulletproof. You can wind the snot out of the engine for days or months at a time and the only thing hurting will be your wallet at the gas pump @ 5-6mpg.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

blt2ski

Kirkland, Wa

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 04:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Now that I've reread intial better....
If the gas rigs are pre 2014, assuming a 6.0 gas, I would not buy that rig, 2500, 3500 SW or dw! A 6.6 gas is a way better option power wise. If at elevations below 6-7k' best. It will go to the 10-12k feet elevation in Rockies, but your down 30% of HP at those levels. If a single life time trip, go fo for it, if ALL the time over next 3+ years, get one of the diesels from last 10-15 yrs.
An ext cab may be ok payload wise, depending upon options 6.5 bed is 200 LS less than an 8' bed. The longer bed and wheelbase may be better than the loss of payload.

Marty

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 06/21/22 04:19pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lwiddis wrote:

Remembering you can't change the manufacturer's payload limit or maximum rear axle limit, you could add airbags to level the tow vehicle and you could insure that the tires and wheels are rated for the weight anticipated.

Wheel and tire rating are more important than the manufacturer payload rating. Knowing EXACTLY which rear axle and ratio you have installed is also very important.

You will likely have to upgrade the radiator, transmission cooler and probably the rear axle ratio.

Remember, older vehicles will likely need tires, brake, shocks and probably front end parts !

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/21/22 05:50pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Wizard, didn’t think at all about the radiator and cooling. (Even though I’m very kool). Good response.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 3  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> What Upgrades needed for a 3/4 ton pickup
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.