2022 Rockwood 2109S
2006 Durango HEMI
6 REPLIES 6

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
They are opening the majority of the park faster than anyone predicted. I think the other part of the park will not be opened till next year.

I got berated on another thread for suggesting that they will pull out the stops to get the crown jewel of the NP system back open fast.

Of course, they were always talking about the south loop opening in a week or two as there was minimal impact. On the north loop, it was just a question of what they could open and when.

I'm betting they have road & bridge projects going before the snow falls and by mid summer 2023, the main roads will be open. Some of the secondary and spur roads will likely stretch out longer.

They used your post to express their negative "feelings" towards the fed gov, and in particular the NPS with no real knowledge of the situation.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
wapiticountry wrote:
Not sure what is opening much faster than expected? There was no major damage on the southern loop and some of the campgrounds remain closed. There is no consideration to opening the north or northeast entrances as both the Gardner River canyon road and the road through the Lamar valley are severely damaged or destroyed. There isnโ€™t even a preliminary plan for the north entrance, so construction is still a long way off.

The south loop was never really in question, so I agree, nothing unexpected.
The north loop was suggested in early reports that it might not open this year but now appears to be opening with limitations.

The heavily impacted north and NE entrances are still likely closed thru this year. I'm sure there is a plan and it's moving forward at breakneck speeds...just maybe not put forth publicly at this point.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
They are opening the majority of the park faster than anyone predicted. I think the other part of the park will not be opened till next year.

I got berated on another thread for suggesting that they will pull out the stops to get the crown jewel of the NP system back open fast.

Of course, they were always talking about the south loop opening in a week or two as there was minimal impact. On the north loop, it was just a question of what they could open and when.

I'm betting they have road & bridge projects going before the snow falls and by mid summer 2023, the main roads will be open. Some of the secondary and spur roads will likely stretch out longer.
Not sure what is opening much faster than expected? There was no major damage on the southern loop and some of the campgrounds remain closed. There is no consideration to opening the north or northeast entrances as both the Gardner River canyon road and the road through the Lamar valley are severely damaged or destroyed. There isnโ€™t even a preliminary plan for the north entrance, so construction is still a long way off.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
dodge guy wrote:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
TY for the official information. NPS seems to be proceeding quickly and appropriately.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad