Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Empty parks with no open sites.
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Empty parks with no open sites.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 01:05pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

An article on a study done in Colorado concerning booked sites and no shows, as well as some potential issues with park personnel saving sites.
rvtravel
If the story is true, Colorado is changing some rules that may help limit the empty but still not available sites in state parks.

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/22 02:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very interesting. I’ll wager the State of Colorado will get this fixed.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/22/22 05:08pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Interesting article. Sounds like there is an institutional failure at Colorado State Parks.

I was at Lassen Volcanic National Park the other week and the camphost checked for no shows and opened the empty campsites that same day. And this was without cell service or wifi in the campground. Very effective.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 06:02pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

Interesting article. Sounds like there is an institutional failure at Colorado State Parks.

I was at Lassen Volcanic National Park the other week and the camphost checked for no shows and opened the empty campsites that same day. And this was without cell service or wifi in the campground. Very effective.

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm ok with that. If I've got a week long reservation that I've paid for and something has delayed me a day (weather, mechanical issue, food poisoning, whatever) I shouldn't lose my entire stay because I can't get there on the first day. Heck, I've had traffic accidents that caused such delays on trips that an 8pm arrival became 1am and I decided to Walmart the first night so as not to be rude to the other campers, being courteous shouldn't be penalized.

If they've got a way to contact the park and you're a no show no call on day 2 then fine cancel the reservation to free the spot up but otherwise I payed for the spot and if I need to delay my arrival then so be it.

2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 06:47pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

afidel wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

Hmm, I'm not sure I'm ok with that. If I've got a week long reservation that I've paid for and something has delayed me a day (weather, mechanical issue, food poisoning, whatever) I shouldn't lose my entire stay because I can't get there on the first day. Heck, I've had traffic accidents that caused such delays on trips that an 8pm arrival became 1am and I decided to Walmart the first night so as not to be rude to the other campers, being courteous shouldn't be penalized.

If they've got a way to contact the park and you're a no show no call on day 2 then fine cancel the reservation to free the spot up but otherwise I payed for the spot and if I need to delay my arrival then so be it.

I think the responsibilty should be on the camper to contact the CG if there is an delay or arrival issue. Not the other way around.
No contact from camper within the 1st 24 hours and the site should be available to others. That gives the camper 24 hours to inform CG which should be ample time to make contact.

19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

ferndaleflyer

everywhere

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 07:23pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

If I pay for it it should be mine for as long as I have paid for it even If I never show up. Just because you think it is empty and someone else has payed for it and isn't there yet don't mean you get the space

Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 07:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

If I pay for it it should be mine for as long as I have paid for it even If I never show up. Just because you think it is empty and someone else has payed for it and isn't there yet don't mean you get the space

If you never showed up, and don't call you forfeit the right to use site. Why should the site go unused? It's not about the money. If you have unforseeable circumstances call CG and expalin when you plan to arrive otherwise you forfeit.
There are those wealthy enough to book every site in the CG for an entire month. Do they get to tie up the CG without occupying the sites simply because they can afford to?

Horsedoc

Dixie --- N. Georgia

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 07:48pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

ferndaleflyer wrote:

Exactly right. I "own" that space because I have paid for the time of the reservation.
However I have reserved sites in private parks and only pay for one day. The rest of my stay will be paid for when I arrive. That seems the best system.

afidel

Cleveland

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 07:57pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Lantley wrote:

afidel wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I think the responsibilty should be on the camper to contact the CG if there is an delay or arrival issue. Not the other way around.
No contact from camper within the 1st 24 hours and the site should be available to others. That gives the camper 24 hours to inform CG which should be ample time to make contact.

I think we agree, toedtoes was talking about a location without communications clearing out sites in less than 24 hours. You should absolutely need to contact the park before close of business on day 2 to keep your site.

dave17352

Ne

View Profile

Posted: 06/22/22 08:53pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think people should be able to shonow and keep the site unused. Perhaps a day with a requirment to make contact. There are far to many campers and too few sites to let them go empty. Also there are many that could care less if they lose the meager fees in order to keep a site available just in case. JMHO

NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
[email protected] turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attractions

> Empty parks with no open sites.
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in RV Parks, Campgrounds and Attr...

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.