cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Q: pump rattle - SHURFLO 4008-101-A65 Revolution

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
After a few months of very intermittent use it developed a rattling noise on low flow or before shutting down. Here is the noise, phone mike makes it more "rattling" than it is: https://youtu.be/S2PteAI_M3o.
See how loud it is on low-flow, then at sec 8 rattle subsides when I open the faucet more, then at sec 18 I shut the faucet off and rattle increases again for the last few seconds before the pump stops.

It's not the motor - all is quiet when I run pump without the head.
It's not debris in the head - all is clear inside.
Rattle disappears for one day or so when I disconnect and reconnect the pump output, then re-appears again.
Some bearings?

Also, pump lets a steady trickle of water through when it's Off, as long as there is any slight intake water pressure. Is this normal?

The pump has pressure switch supposedly set to 55 psi, and by-pass supposedly set to open at 40 psi.

I have 21 oz accumulator charged to 30 psi, tried to charge it to 45 but doesn't look like accumulator is causing or affecting the rattle.
5 REPLIES 5

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
How are you getting pressure on the intake side of the pump? Stuttering on shut down could be leaking check valve or erratic pressure switch. Also how is the voltage at the pump?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
I tried to hold/move the pipes around. The rattle is coming from the pump. It is different from the noise that pipes make. It disappears for one day when I disconnect and reconnect the output with same pipes in the same position, and then re-appears again.

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
have you tried moving the piping near the pump around when it is rattling to find where its coming from
there are lots of you tube videos about quieting rv water pumps
Silencing A Loud RV Water Pump

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Fixed the link to video - now it works.

3 tons - I removed the head to check whether it's a motor clicking, all screws in the head are fine.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
I would check the four stainless screws that secure the pump head to the bodyโ€ฆThree of mine were sheared off, possibly due to freezing, though the basement is well heated and Iโ€™m not aware of a single time that Iโ€™ve camped or driven that coldโ€ฆCamper is stored indoorsโ€ฆ

3 tons