cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for best route from Modesto ca to Yuma Az

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
I will be going to Yuma for some dental work for the DW and was wondering what would be the best route to take. We are both retired so time of departure is not a factor for us. I want to avoid all the LA traffic and thought that going down to Bakersfield and get on 58 that way as opposed to I-5 all the way. I would appreciate any info. Thanks Ed
6 REPLIES 6

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Outside of Parker is a fuel station or turn left on Main in Quartzsite for 1 mile to a Arco.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

AKsilvereagle
Explorer II
Explorer II
On a second note...

If heaven forbid or hell in this case - one "somehow" does end up in the Indio-Coachella area during mid summer -

If proceeding via eastbound I-10 thru Blythe and US 95 :

Either leave Indio no later than 630am or leave Indio after 1100pm during the night when ascending uphill out of the valley due to avoiding extreme hot daytime temperatures enroute towards Chiraco Summit to avoid potential overheating an engine while commuting - Outside temps in the Coachella Valley start at 90 to 95 degrees F as soon as the sun pops up over the horizon during mid summer...

If proceeding via southbound thru the Imperial Valley to reach El Centro and I-8 via Yuma :

I would much rather commute on the CA 111 route (east side of the Salton Sea) for two reasons....

1 - It is more scenic

2 - A bit safer than the CA 86 route known as the "killer highway" between Coachella and Salton City as there are more head on collision accidents that occur, while having to deal with a higher volume of semi truck traffic...

One will be present at over 200 ft below sea level on the CA 111 stretch along the south end area of the Salton Sea , so be prepared to do a lot of yawning if not adapted to the elevation climate and somehow maintain full alertness when commuting along the Salton Sea area on a prolong commute....

As noted, the desert southwest is very very hot at this time of year, and especially both the Coachella and Imperial Valleys are no joke - how I know is I was raised there in my teen years after being raised in the Los Angeles basin prior to that and in my late teen years.

Also noted - I too would opt to commute via CA 58 via I-40 with the addition to Needles, cross River Rd. into the Arizona side for a couple miles in Mohave Valley and top off fuel tank(s) at the Arco AM-PM mini mart station in order to NOT pay for someone elses retirement (if you know what I mean) - head back to Needles and proceed south via US 95 to Vidal Junction via CA 62 to Parker via AZ 95 and US 95 south at Quartzsite via to Yuma.
1975 Ford F250 2WD Ranger XLT (Owned June 2013)
460 V8- C6 Trans- 3.73:1 (196K Total Mi)
2000 Fleetwood Angler 8ft Cabover
Air Lift 1000 (Front)
Hellwig 3500 lb Helper Springs (rear)
Hellwig Front and Rear Sway Bars
Goodyear G971 LT Series (siped)

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I take 58, 40, CA 95 cross at Parker and AZ 95. The SW is hot so be prepared.

Midday you can take 395 before Barstow, 10 and south at Indio to 8 with acceptable traffic.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Using CA Hwy. 58 is a good plan IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

1ed
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks

dedmiston
That's the way.

58 over Tehachapi and bypass Mojave until you get to Barstow.

That's going to have you up near the 40 though, so you'll need to drop down to get to I-10.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230