Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gas regulator

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, everyone.

We have a 1995 Sunnybrook 26' TT. Two weeks ago, we were camping in Williamsburg, VA and went to make breakfast. The flame on the cooktop initially burned great for the first second or two, then died down to a barely-usable flame. We were able to get our omelets made at least. I tried changing tanks, but same story.

I installed a new Camco double stage auto changeover regulator back in '14. I just went out and investigated a little. There's gas in both tanks, and the water heater does the same thing. It initially lights, then immediately sputters out. I turned the pressure adjustment up a couple turns and then back down, thinking maybe something got stuck or there was a piece of trash maybe. No dice.

I'm thinking 8 years has been the life of this regulator and I need to get a new one. Does that sound likely? If so, any recommendations as to a better brand that will last longer?

Thanks,

Ken
20 REPLIES 20

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
Glad to hear you resolved the problem.

Way back in 2000, we bought our first "rv." It was a brand-new Coleman popup. Best you could get back then (IMO). After a quick weekend-check-it-out camping outing, we set off across country to see Yellowstone. Never had done anything close to this before, and we were super excited.

First night in the park it was a bit chilly, with temps forecast to be in the 30's overnight. "Don't worry," I told my family, "We've got a heater!" (We had been tent campers for many years, and couldn't believe the lux that we were now living in!)

Middle of the night we were getting cold, so I flipped the switch to turn on the propane heater. Nothing. In the morning there was frost on the roof of the camper. Not a single propane appliance was working in our brand-new camper. Warranties don't do you much good in a situation like that.

I did all the trouble shooting I could think of, and spent time on the phone with my dealer 2000 miles away while the family enjoyed Old Faithful. Long story short - faulty gas regulator.

Yeah.

Yes; they do fail. And yes, a spare is a good idea.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Just to give an update...it was the gas regulator. All works fine now. 🙂

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
fallsrider wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
If it's not the regulator then you have a spare. There have been posts about oil in the propane lines which comes into the tank with the liquid propane.
I've never heard of the oil issue. Interesting.

Propane since it is a "byproduct" of refining/cracking crude oil and natural gas into other products (at one time, propane, Naptha (cousin to gasoline were considered worthless byproducts and was flared off at the well head in the early days of crude oil production) which can contain small amounts of oil. Generally very harmless but since the actual content can vary some depending on how much processing has been done may be enough to make it out of the cylinder as you consume the gas (liquid form in the cylinder converts to gas as you draw it out of the cylinder).

I don't think so. Or, at least not all of what you said. What they were burning off at the well head was Natural Gas . That is not the same as propane ( Also known as liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) ) which is made during the oil refining process.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
fallsrider wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:
If it's not the regulator then you have a spare. There have been posts about oil in the propane lines which comes into the tank with the liquid propane.

Propane since it is a "byproduct" of refining/cracking crude oil and natural gas into other products (at one time, propane, Naptha (cousin to gasoline were considered worthless byproducts and was flared off at the well head in the early days of crude oil production) which can contain small amounts of oil. Generally very harmless but since the actual content can vary some depending on how much processing has been done may be enough to make it out of the cylinder as you consume the gas (liquid form in the cylinder converts to gas as you draw it out of the cylinder).

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:
I use my Rv a lot. And I have had so many regulator failures that I always carry a spare.
I started doing this after one failed in camp on the North Rim. Temps were in the teens, and everything that runs on propane wouldn't work. I had to drive to Flagstaff and pay an inflated price for one.
Cost me 1.5 tanks of fuel and a day of hunting as well.
That doesn't sound like fun!

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Be aware that there can be a excess flow valve in the pigtail that connects to the tanks..

HERE

If if equipped with the valve it may have tripped or failed.. I don't know it is self resetting.. May have failed on both pigtails.
I know I installed new pigtails when I replaced both my tanks around the time of the regulator. My trailer still had the old style tanks, and I ran out of fuel. Had to get two of the new style tanks and switch out the pigtails. I'll check them out.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
CA Traveler wrote:

And a spare regulator is a good thing to have.

It isn't expensive or difficult to install - and a lot of essential appliances in your RV rely on it.
True.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
CA Traveler wrote:

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Rv a lot. And I have had so many regulator failures that I always carry a spare.
I started doing this after one failed in camp on the North Rim. Temps were in the teens, and everything that runs on propane wouldn't work. I had to drive to Flagstaff and pay an inflated price for one.
Cost me 1.5 tanks of fuel and a day of hunting as well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Be aware that there can be a excess flow valve in the pigtail that connects to the tanks..

HERE

"Marshall Excelsior MER401-12 Excess Flow Pigtail 12 in Excess Flow Male POL, 7/8" Nut and 1/4" Male Inverted Flare connections. 12" HOSE Flexible thermoplastic UL and CGA approved hose. These hoses are rated up to 350 psig working pressure with a 400 pound pull test rating. Warning: An excess flow valve will not activate if there is a break or leak downstream of the valve that does not equal or exceed the closing flow of the valve or if the excess flow valve installed exceeds the flow capacity of the system. Each hose comes with two ends and fully crimped brass ferrules"

If if equipped with the valve it may have tripped or failed.. I don't know it is self resetting.. May have failed on both pigtails.

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:

And a spare regulator is a good thing to have.

It isn't expensive or difficult to install - and a lot of essential appliances in your RV rely on it.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
fallsrider wrote:
I will most likely check everything out again before I order a new regulator. Thankfully, we're not going anywhere with the trailer over the next 3 or 4 weeks.

Me, I try all options before I change stuff. If it were possible to open the valve up, disassemble or whatever, or blow a bit of air through the regulator ,maybe back flow i would try that. I had a small spider web in my gas line going to my heater. When the heater lit it billowed black smoke up the side of my Class C and I thought it was the end of it all.
The issue does point to the regulator and after 8 years of service I think that was a good run. Alternatives? they appear to be about the same.

fallsrider
Explorer
Explorer
I will most likely check everything out again before I order a new regulator. Thankfully, we're not going anywhere with the trailer over the next 3 or 4 weeks.