cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground availability on shorter notice

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I had noticed that RV parks were not as busy as they have been in the recent past. As evidence of this we called a resort we have been going to for years and they had more than 6 sites available for October. This happens to be in an area where October is the high season. In the past we made reservations a year in advance due to high demand.
16 REPLIES 16

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
We are looking to book some time in mid October near mid to eastern TN and am having a devil of a time finding openings. As opposed to other posters we do prefer State, COE and even some municipal parks. Don't like spending out time in what looks like a RV sales lot, or as I say awning to slide.
I guess we're just too picky about the site we take. Don't need FHU, but need 30amp, level site.
Being older, we only travel a couple of hours a day, so we stay at a lot of places and like to spend some time there.
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
When people moan that they can't get a site I always feel that we are only getting half the story.

What they are not saying is that they want specific sites, usually FHUs, and high demand locations and dates. They are not flexible. Don't suggest dry camping.

We made reservations yesterday for this weekend. A huge holiday weekend in Canada

No FHU. No problem. No water view. No problem. No water at site. No problem. Far from bathrooms. No problem. No satellite access. No problem. Only 30amp power. No problem. Back in. No problem.

When you are adaptable there is seldom a problem.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
We are 3 weeks into a 4 month trip. We have reservations for most of it.... especially for weekends.
In NC, we found the campgrounds to have open spots. In Virginia, the park was packed, but it was a weekend. In NY, during the week, you could set up your picnic table in the roadway.... less than 10% occupied.... then came Thursday.. place started filling. By Friday afternoon, not a single site out of 350 sites was available. Now in Maine. The park has several open sites ( it's a Monday). The owner told me that starting this coming weekend, they are pretty much booked solid for the rest of the summer. She said she is getting a few cancellations from people that would have traveled long distances, but for the most part, things are normal, or better than normal for them
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think it is the price of fuel either. We went all the way to Boston and back before fuel increased with no reservations and no problems. I don't know what it is but it is noticeable.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I to spent some time in NC and TN mountains last year, Pigeon Forge twice, Ashville NC, Hendersonville NC and never once had a reservation more than a couple of days in advance. Was also up through WV, PA, MD, VA then South Myrtle Beach twice, Gulf coast of FL twice, East coast of FL and back home. Always had nice spots (right on the beach at Myrtle twice)and never got turned away anywhere. I don't stay in State parks etc. Leaving in a couple of days for Bristol TN with no reservations so we will see how that goes. By the way if the price of fuel is holding you back you are in the wrong pass time.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
bgum wrote:
I had noticed that RV parks were not as busy as they have been in the recent past. As evidence of this we called a resort we have been going to for years and they had more than 6 sites available for October. This happens to be in an area where October is the high season. In the past we made reservations a year in advance due to high demand.

When was the recent time you were having difficulty getting reservations?

Yeah, peak times, it's always been difficult to get a site at a popular park but we spent 7 months wandering the south winter 20/21 and never had an issue getting a site.

Heading out next month from Michigan for Montana over 2 months and don't expect any significant issues.

Prior to the pandemic in the month of October reservations were necessary in the mountains of North Carolina and Tennessee and every point in between. The same was true in many of our national parks.
The fact that you don't expect any problems next month only supports my observations that people are camping less.

Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Fuel prices.

And overall inflation causing many to curb their travel plans. More people may actually have found they need to back to work.

And if folks have looked at their 401K or other investments lately they probably are still cleaning out their drawers.
Airlines, hotel and general home remodeling contractor bookings indicate something different. People are spending their time and money elsewhere.
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:

When was the recent time you were having difficulty getting reservations?

Yeah, peak times, it's always been difficult to get a site at a popular park but we spent 7 months wandering the south winter 20/21 and never had an issue getting a site.

Heading out next month from Michigan for Montana over 2 months and don't expect any significant issues.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
bgum wrote:

Just recently rebooked for 23 a resort campground in upstate NY, I was surprised that they were holding their rates for 23 even after dumping $$$$ into the park, this is probably do to the uncertainty of the near future economy.

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Diamond_c
Nomad
Nomad
We are still making reservations to be on the safe side. Iโ€™d hate to take off from work, load everything up, drive all that way to wherever weโ€™re going just to be told that theyโ€™re full,or that they canโ€™t accommodate a rig our size.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Starting day 33 today of our 6 province tour. Havenโ€™t needed reservations yet. Kinda cool.

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
wildtoad wrote:
stickdog wrote:
Fuel prices.

And overall inflation causing many to curb their travel plans. More people may actually have found they need to back to work.

And if folks have looked at their 401K or other investments lately they probably are still cleaning out their drawers.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
stickdog wrote:
Fuel prices.

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

stickdog
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel prices.
9-11 WE WILL NEVER FORGET!
FULLTIME SINCE 2010
17 DRV MS 36rssb3
17 F350 King Ranch CC DRW 4x4 6.7 4:10 B&W hitch
John
โ€œA good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.โ€ Lao Tzu