cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Getting propane tanks in and out

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi guys, Like many of you I have a 30 lb. propane tank on each side of my coach. The older we get the harder it is to get them in and out especially when full. Has anyone seen anything or know of anything to make this job easier?

Some 5โ€™ers have slide out trays which have to help. But if not, how can the job be made easier?
45 REPLIES 45

ralphnjoann
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I used to stay in an RV park in the Arizona desert a couple of months every winter. We had a fifth wheel and every 7 to 10 days, I had to refill one of our 30# propane tanks. The tank door was located under the trailer overhang. If empty, a tank was easy to remove; tilt, pull out, and drop to the ground. Putting it back in when full was another matter. It was extremely difficult to do; tilt, lift up, slide into the compartment and push up vertically all the while on my knees, bent over, under the overhang.

To make this a once-a-winter chore, I replaced one of the regulator pigtails with one that was 36" long and hooked it to the tank on the same side. The regulator was set to draw from this tank. When the tank emptied, the regulator would switch over to the other full tank at which point I removed the empty and had it refilled. Upon returning, I left the tank on the ground, hooked up the 3' hose and switched the regulator back.

Very little propane was drawn from the "backup" tank during our entire stay, so it never needed a refill.

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
fj12ryder wrote:
Mondooker wrote:
I donโ€™t know about anyone else but Iโ€™m learning a bunch from this thread. I didnโ€™t know you paid more by swapping tanks. I guess it makes sense but I didnโ€™t know it. Do the tank swapping companies keep the 10 under the 10 year certification limit?
You will usually pay more by swapping tanks, but it depends on the places available to fill tanks. Some charge by the weight, i.e. gallons, but others charge by the fill. So if you take in a partial tank, they would charge you for a fill, regardless of how much they actually put in.

Yes, the exchange places only have tanks with 15 lbs. rather than 20 lbs. Rhino started this a few years ago as a money grab, and now they all do it. There is a local filler here who will try to tell you that it isn't legal, or safe, to fill them past 15 lbs.! Just a simple money grab, as he charges by the fill, and not by the gallon. Total ripoff.

Here in the PNW, they fill by the gallon and I have always only been charged for what was added to the tank. Our 30# tanks have taken 7.2 gallons before, usually between 6.9 and 7.1.
DW prefers cooking with gas, and we use for quick recovery of hot water. We use about a 30# tank a month.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Someone is always available to assist if a person just asks. ORRRRR many places have a propane truck come by to at your campsite.

My thought on getting a difficult job done, is work smarter/if their is a will, there is a way! I always hated asking for help. I do have a couple young helper choices on speed dial if I really need someone. The tip they receive, makes them anxious to help, and they always say "call me anytime" when they leave.

Jerry

Best part is you are teaching they work and get rewarded.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
valhalla360 wrote:
fj12ryder wrote:
So if you take in a partial tank, they would charge you for a fill, regardless of how much they actually put in.

Bit of a red herring:

Except for tiny RVs (think 15-18ft bumper pulls or tent campers), which are almost always using 20# tanks anyway, they have 2 tanks. You run one dry, switch to the 2nd and then look for a place to fill.

Result...you would almost never take a tank in unless it's empty.
That is the way it should be, but many times people will try to be "pro-active" and make sure their tanks were completely full before they head out somewhere, or before they have a big BBQ planned. I'll bet it happens more than you think.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Someone is always available to assist if a person just asks. ORRRRR many places have a propane truck come by to at your campsite.

My thought on getting a difficult job done, is work smarter/if their is a will, there is a way! I always hated asking for help. I do have a couple young helper choices on speed dial if I really need someone. The tip they receive, makes them anxious to help, and they always say "call me anytime" when they leave.

Jerry

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
fj12ryder wrote:
So if you take in a partial tank, they would charge you for a fill, regardless of how much they actually put in.

Bit of a red herring:

Except for tiny RVs (think 15-18ft bumper pulls or tent campers), which are almost always using 20# tanks anyway, they have 2 tanks. You run one dry, switch to the 2nd and then look for a place to fill.

Result...you would almost never take a tank in unless it's empty.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Both points are well taken guys and I thank you for each opinion. As we age both opinions apply depending on the day? ๐Ÿ™‚

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Mondooker wrote:
As Cummins12V98, so delicately said, the 1/3 tank is not a reasonable approach. Not if you need to run your genny for the evening for the air conditioning. That 1/3 tank would be swallowed up in a hurry.

It is if you can't lift a full cylinder. Let's see, lift a third full cylinder three times. Or, lift a completely full cylinder zero times because you are unable. Which allows you more propane?

To deny we might have to accept compromises as we age is delusional. I buy readymix in the 60 pound bags instead of the 90 pound bags now because I am more comfortable with the weight. Sure, I have to use more bags, that's the way the math works.

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
As Cummins12V98, so delicately said, the 1/3 tank is not a reasonable approach. Not if you need to run your genny for the evening for the air conditioning. That 1/3 tank would be swallowed up in a hurry.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
" Sometimes we have to compromise as we age."

SCREW that!!!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty simple. Run your cylinders to empty and then refill them to 1/3 of capacity. No law saying they have to be refilled completely. No need to buy 20# cylinders. You will have to do it more often, but they will be lighter to remove/install. Sometimes we have to compromise as we age.

Jim-Linda
Explorer
Explorer
Late to the show but if you happen to have side by side tanks, this may help. Our NuWa has the tanks on a slide out tray that puts them clear of the body. Disconnect hose on empty, loosen hold down handle and tilt outward, reverse to install. Unsure if one could find such tray in salvage yard, but I forget the company name that has slides trays in several designs.

Jim

Mondooker
Explorer
Explorer
Hi BO, Even for the younger folks these large tanks are difficult to deal with. Iโ€™m surprised, especially for a fifth wheel, that someone hasnโ€™t come up with an easy way to get them in and out. Just putting them on a slide would help but getting them up and dow so much the better. Even as a $200 option, Iโ€™d pay it in a minute. Even the Macho-Men would because it would help in resale.