Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Getting propane tanks in and out
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Getting propane tanks in and out

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/25/22 08:44pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Hi guys, Like many of you I have a 30 lb. propane tank on each side of my coach. The older we get the harder it is to get them in and out especially when full. Has anyone seen anything or know of anything to make this job easier?

Some 5’ers have slide out trays which have to help. But if not, how can the job be made easier?

Twomed

FL winters and then somewhere cool

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 06:28am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The best thing you can do for yourself is buy aluminum tanks. If room allows a slideout tray.

Happy Trails ">
06 Monaco Dynasty
07 Hummer H3
FMCA 279843

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 06:45am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

On my Dad's 5th wheel I put a loop above and past the tank. Had a short chain to hook between a bar and the tank. 1 end of bar in loop, lift other end of bar, slide chain to move tank.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 06:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Some parks have the propane truck go thru every week or two.

Or you can find fill stations where there is room to pull the trailer in. A couple dollar tip and the teen doing the filling will probably be wiling to heft them back in.

How often do you change out the tanks? In Florida, I would be expecting 2-3 months out of a tank. If you do get into cold weather, consider adding/using an electric heater to supplement and reduce propane consumption.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

FlatBroke

CO/AZ

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 07:16am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Worse is I’ve seen propane doors that you have to insert the top of the tank first and lift it up to get the tank inside the compartment. Didn’t even make the door big enough to put the bottom in first a tilt the tank in!

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

TXiceman

Full Time RVer

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You might ask a younger neighbor if they could lift the tanks for you and offer him a beer for his troubles. Most people will help you.

I more than feel your pain...we have two 40 LB tanks.

Ken

Amateur Radio Operator.
2013 HitchHiker 38RLRSB Champagne, toted with a 2012, F350, 6.7L PSD, Crewcab, dually. 3.73 axle, Full Time RVer.
Travel with a standard schnauzer and a Timneh African Gray parrot

Mondooker

Florida Gulf Coast

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:07am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The only time I’d really go through propane is an overnight at someplace like Walmart. If it’s hot we’d have to run the generator. And what good is having a built in generator if you don’t use it when needed right?

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:21am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We use very little Propane, current tank in use was opened in 2019 and still has gas. We have a Residential Fridge and an Induction Cook Top, so only Propane appliances are the Furnace and Hot Water Heater.
Wintering in Central Florida for the cool weather we use the Electric Fireplace Heater and Heat Pump on both AC. So filling and lifting our 40 Lb tanks isn't very offen.

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

LadyRVer

Florida

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 07:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I took it off the truck and set it on a stool.. then to one of those small folding carts. Rolled over to where tank went into fiver. Set it on the stool again, then lifted from that up into the compartment where the tank went. Took some effort, but was a lot easier. Also had thought about getting 20# tanks instead of 30.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 07:56pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Michelle.S wrote:

We use very little Propane, current tank in use was opened in 2019 and still has gas. We have a Residential Fridge and an Induction Cook Top, so only Propane appliances are the Furnace and Hot Water Heater.
Wintering in Central Florida for the cool weather we use the Electric Fireplace Heater and Heat Pump on both AC. So filling and lifting our 40 Lb tanks isn't very offen.
A pretty informative post, but not really germane to the thread title, and content. [emoticon]

I don't really know of any way to get them into the spot short of horsing them up there. Maybe some kind of hydraulic lift that they can be slid off and into the spot?

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Getting propane tanks in and out
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.