Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next
davehultin

Fargo, ND 58104

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/25/22 09:27pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Today I thought I might found my next tow vehicle, but it didn't check all the boxes. I'm looking for something that can tow 9000 lbs or better. Sounds like a pickup, right? But my wife has a business that requires the occassional use of the tow vehicle's cargo space. She likes to be able to drop the third row seats (in my 2010 Ford Expedition, Eddie Bauer edition) and collapse the seconde row seats into cargo mode. It opens up a LOT of room which is just perfect for her!

I thought I found a great fit for the next tow vehicle: A Nissan NV passenger van!
- Tow capacity: Over 9000 pounds - check!
- Cargo space: Lots of it! - check!
- Seats removable and/or collapsable? Removable, but not collapsable. - No check. :-( That was a deal-killer.

Some of the 6.0 liter SUVs get up to around 8600 pounds towing capacity so we might be able to make that work, but honestly I don't want to cut the weight limits that close.

Any suggestions for tow vehicles that will check all the boxes on the list? 9000+ lbs towing capacity + cargo space + seats that can collapse?

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 07:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I chose a four door pickup and added an ARE bed cap.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 07:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You did not mention the total cargo weight capacity, that is usually the killer on these fake SUV models. If you are towing 9000# get a pickup with a crew cab. A vehicle made to do towing

Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Pickup with a hard solid tonneau cover (not roll or fold) and bedrug. Makes the bed like a huge carpeted trunk.

agesilaus

North Florida

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 08:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BB_TX wrote:

Pickup with a hard solid tonneau cover (not roll or fold) and bedrug. Makes the bed like a huge carpeted trunk.

And when you buy a bed rug, go to Rural King or Tractor Supply and buy a Stall Mat and save yourself hundreds of bucks.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:30am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

How about a van?

Desert Captain

Payson

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 09:26am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Very few vehicles can safely, much less actually tow their so called rated tow capacity. They simply run out of payload long before reaching that mythical tow capacity. A 9,000# trailer will need to have a tongue weight of 1,170# {13 percent of total weight} plus another 100# for the weight distribution hitch. That 1,270 # comes right off of your payload before you load anything or anyone beyond the driver.

IMHO: Get a truck with at least 2,000# of payload if you want to safely tow a 9,000# trailer.

[emoticon]

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

How about a van?

You mean like the van idea he ALREADY mentioned and discounted as meeting his “needs?”
And over 9000lb capable towing cap is not a reality or at least an effort in relative futility compared to the plethora of other vehicles better suited for towing 5 tons.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 10:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP, your unique and rather eclectic “requirements” basically aren’t possible if you’re also going by the numbers.
You’ve obviously researched trucks, suvs and vans already.
What late model, “magic” vehicle do you think the members here are going to invent out of thin air for your “needs?”

The last vehicles that checked your boxes are 10+ year old Suburban 2500s and 20 year old Ford excursions. although both s uck at towing a 5 ton high profile trailer compared to an average late model 1/2 ton pickup or suv, for power.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 10:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

And when you buy a bed rug, go to Rural King or Tractor Supply and buy a Stall Mat and save yourself hundreds of bucks.

Lol stall mat vs bed rug? How are those even remotely the same?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.