Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/22 11:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

No idea about the brand but something like this:

https://sterlingfleetoutfitters.com/products/8-full-size-premium-truck-cap/

Well that seems suitable for a soccer mom who wants to haul stuff in a suv....

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/22 11:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

stsmark wrote:

The Jeep Wagoneer might be able to do it. But 1500 in back and tongue weight of 7500 lb tt at the same time? Not sure anything but a HD crew cab can do that and be paper legal.

Def wouldn't be within the ratings for payload unless uber careful with loading and camper selection etc. But otherwise 100% capable of doing everything else the OP wants in his rig.

And, the new Waggoneer or Burb/Expedition are great choices save for one thing. They are all IRS axles now and most all have some air/self leveling suspension, making it somewhere between difficult and impossible to add any suspension helpers to them. Hence my warning about the rig being physically able to handle the tongue weight.

Not alot of experience here with folks testing the suspension limits on new 1/2 ton SUVs....more of a "get a dually" crowd tbh.

Nor do I know what the limits of these newer IRS rigs are either.

OP, any of the new/late model full size long wheelbase SUVs are a good fit for what you're wanting to do, save for the rear suspension.

If you're in the SUV camp, still, following this discussion, I'd try to find some real world suspension limits/upgrades info from folks who are pulling good size trailers with these rigs.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/22 12:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

No idea about the brand but something like this:

https://sterlingfleetoutfitters.com/products/8-full-size-premium-truck-cap/

Well that seems suitable for a soccer mom who wants to haul stuff in a suv....

When we got our first F250, Tammy refused to drive it. Finally got her to try it. Recently had a rental car and she hated it because it wasn't big and tall like her truck.

Of course, soccer wasn't one of the criteria put forth.
- They wanted 7500 or 9000lb tow rating (and presumably the payload to support that).
- They wanted a wide open and tall storage area for the camping gear she is selling.

Drop this on a 4 door 3/4 or 1 ton pickup and it sure looks like it ticks the boxes. If they find a 1/2 ton with a high payload/tow rating, that would likely do the trick.

PS: Just checked the original post. Currently she is happy with the cargo space in an Expedition, so really a standard cap will give more cargo space than she currently has.

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

davehultin

Fargo, ND 58104

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 05:59am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

OP here, it's update time! Seems that the vehicle that fills our unique needs and replaces our Ford Expedition is ... another Ford Expedition!

At first I dismissed the current Expedition platform because everything is a V6. You can't pull anything substantial with a V6, right? But when I found the Ford Expedition Trailer Towing Selector and discovered that the maximum loaded trailer weight of the Expedition Max was 9000 pounds, the search was on! I had no idea!

There were lots of suggestions for pickups in this thread, but because of the nuances of how my wife will use this vehicle for her glamping setup, a pickup was never a strong candidate. I started looking for the Expedition with the required 3.73 axel ratio and heavy duty towing package. They're hard to find, but I found one that I was going to see (about 100 miles away) but someone else beat me to the front of the line. About the same time a really nice 2019 showed up at one of the dealers here in town. It's loaded, which wasn't a selling point for me. I wanted the cargo space and towing capacity and didn't want to pay for all the bells and whistles ... but I was stuck with all the bells and whistles, and convinced them to put on a new set of tires at the time of my choosing to help offset all the bells and whistles I didn't want.

I haven't towed with it yet (that happens tomorrow) so I can't report on that yet. But I can say that the (non-towing) MPG is impressive. I hit 25 MPG on the interstate yesterday. My previous Expedition was 17 MPG on a good day. Perhaps the better MPG will start to offset the price tag.

Anyways, long story short, I'm a happy camper again!

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 07:17am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you aware that all the "bells and whistles" subtract from the advertised tow capacity?

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 08:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

That's nice. Glad you're happy with the purchase.

Did you ever articulate these "nuances" and why a pickup was not suitable? I don't recall seeing it.

Frankly a couple hundred pounds of "bells and whistles" will not appreciably affect towing performance. I suggest the "hitch up and pay no attention" method.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 08:51am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

That's nice. Glad you're happy with the purchase.

Did you ever articulate these "nuances" and why a pickup was not suitable? I don't recall seeing it.

Frankly a couple hundred pounds of "bells and whistles" will not appreciably affect towing performance. I suggest the "hitch up and pay no attention" method.

Couple hundred pounds? Mid '80s, a friend bought 2 brand new LTL9000 Fords. Same engines, transmissions, all 4 axles, beds, everything. Only difference was his driver wanted a nicer truck so 1 was XLT trim level, the other basic rubber mats, hand crank windows. The first day he put the trucks to work, the XLT was over 1000 lbs heavier.
Now I know many are going to say you are not talking class 8 units, oranges and grapefruit. You would be right to a point. But that scale that day was comparing grapefruit to grapefruit. And there is not much difference in the size of daycab and a regular pickup cab. But there is a lot of difference in the size of regular pickup cab, and the inside of a big SUV.
Any time the ad brags about "Tow Capacity" there is always the *when properly equipped. Everybody know it must have right suspension and drive train. Not as many understand it can't have all the stuff a nice car is expected to have.
I think everybody should scale their snot. I do not say "Don't run over your ratings", I have done that most of my professional life. What I say is know your ratings, and your actual weights, so you know what might go wrong.

davehultin

Fargo, ND 58104

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 02:51pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

mkirsch wrote:

No, I didn't. One of the biggies is the length of the load. There have been a few times when one of the items we need to haul to a glamping event is a rolled-up carpet. In our Expedition that goes from the back to the front, and on top of the console in the front seat. Can't successfully pull that off in a pickup.

Everything else is "naunce-ier" but still factors in to the decision, like being able to go into the side doors to get smaller packages out of the side instead of craning over the sides of the truck bed or scuttling in from the gate (and presumably squatting down to clear the topper).

Plus my wife is happier with an SUV instead of a truck, and I like the way she prepares supper. :-)

davehultin

Fargo, ND 58104

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/30/22 02:52pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Are you aware that all the "bells and whistles" subtract from the advertised tow capacity?

Yes. I was keeping a "subtraction buffer" going in my mind.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/30/22 03:41pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Couple hundred pounds? Mid '80s, a friend bought 2 brand new LTL9000 Fords. Same engines, transmissions, all 4 axles, beds, everything. Only difference was his driver wanted a nicer truck so 1 was XLT trim level, the other basic rubber mats, hand crank windows. The first day he put the trucks to work, the XLT was over 1000 lbs heavier.

Not a chance that anywhere near that magnitude of difference was due to
the "XLT convenience and comfort options" in the heavier truck.

If the trucks were truly the same otherwise, including wheelbase, powertrain, etc, someone had full saddle tanks and someone didn't.

Idk if one could even come up with more than a few hundred lbs extra in a new suv, which has far more "stuff" to be upgraded, although much of it technology based and not very physically heavy. (Assuming you pretty much can't get even a base model truck/suv without power windows, locks, AC, cruise (doesn't count anymore since CC is mostly software). Seats carpet and maybe a bit heavier tire/wheel combo.

The "luxury options hurts payload/ccc/towing capacity" argument is really quite inane. Unless one is being overtly literal, in which case, the numbers don't lie, they just don't really matter at such a small magnitude.

Op, congrats on the new rig!! That 380hp Ecoboost with gobs of low end torque will put a smile on your face for a while!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

> Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.