Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next
Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/22 11:14pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

agesilaus wrote:

Grit dog wrote:

agesilaus wrote:

BB_TX wrote:

Pickup with a hard solid tonneau cover (not roll or fold) and bedrug. Makes the bed like a huge carpeted trunk.


And when you buy a bed rug, go to Rural King or Tractor Supply and buy a Stall Mat and save yourself hundreds of bucks.


Lol stall mat vs bed rug? How are those even remotely the same?


Hmm, I have a stall mat in my 6"4" bed. It's maybe an inch thick, hard surfaced. Admittedly it does not fill around the wheel wells and is 4" short. But at $55 vs $250 I can live with that. It does a great job of cushioning the bed to save my knees. And the high friction surface keeps stuff from sliding easily.

What more does a real truck bed mat do anyway?


He said bed rug. Not bed mat.


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/26/22 11:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

nickthehunter wrote:

You don’t understand the ratings. You don’t add people, cargo, etc. to GVWR of the trailer to get the needed “tow rating” for a tow vehicle. You should start by understanding what All the ratings mean, to figure out what you need, to figure out what meets your needs. Clicky for understanding towing ratings


Sounds like understands to me. If you want to tow 7500 lbs at the same time you haul 1500 lbs you need the GCVWR to cover all, assuming you want to keep interweb weight police away.

It’s all about reading comprehension Scooby. OP originally said he needed to “tow” 9000lbs.
Later post said 9klbs cargo and towing.
Nicks right. OP is a little confused on ratings.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/27/22 05:54am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

davehultin wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

What is your wife's mysterious cargo?


Glamping equipment: It's important that the glamping goods travel clean and covered, and some of it requires a space that's taller than a truck bed.


How tall? With a cap, it's about as tall as most SUVs with seats folded down. Or there are oversize caps tall enough to stand up in.


Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV


BB_TX

McKinney, Texas

Senior Member

Joined: 04/04/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 08:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

valhalla360 wrote:

davehultin wrote:

valhalla360 wrote:

What is your wife's mysterious cargo?


Glamping equipment: It's important that the glamping goods travel clean and covered, and some of it requires a space that's taller than a truck bed.


How tall? With a cap, it's about as tall as most SUVs with seats folded down. Or there are oversize caps tall enough to stand up in.

Agree here. If too tall for a tonneau cover, a cap painted to match the truck (with a bedrug) would be a good option. Again, with the bedrug it is like an oversized trunk or back of an SUV. And a loaded "luxury" pickup goes right along with the "glamping" theme.

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 09:18am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

And great suggestions above ^, IF the OP didn't say that even removeable 3rd row seating vs fold down seating was a deal killer.
That strongly implies that the OP (wife) frequently must need the 3rd row seating as well. Which, by default, kills the pickup truck idea.

NOW, since the OP has changed the "requirements" he needs to meet a bit, late model big suvs are back in the game if he can handle the tongue weight of the trailer with them.

JRscooby

Indepmo

Senior Member

Joined: 06/10/2019

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 09:40am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:


It’s all about reading comprehension Scooby. OP originally said he needed to “tow” 9000lbs.
Later post said 9klbs cargo and towing.
Nicks right. OP is a little confused on ratings.



Good trucking grief!
Somebody is accused of ignorance after they clarified what they want to do, and I'm the 1 with reading comprehension issues?
I think the OP understands he needs something with a GCVWR of at least 9000 over MT weight, and a GVWR of over 2500 lbs (15% TW) above MT weight. And best if steer axle is not expected to take much of the payload. Now he might need a higher payload, depending on the weight of wife's load, but has not mentioned that
I know I understand that's what he needs, is that what stirs up the ankle biter?

p220sigman

Tallahassee, FL, USA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/16/2004

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 10:05am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I don't think you are going to find a van that fits your needs. Most that are going to be big enough to have the capacity you need are also going to be made in a cargo configuration meaning removable seats as opposed to folding seats like minivans.

I second the pickup with a full height cap on it. I think if you check, unless you get one of the high work-type vans, anything that would fit in a van (height-wise) will fit in the bed of the truck. I would measure the tallest (longest if you lay it on its side) item your wife would need to transport to figure out if it will fit. You may have to go with the trailer suggestion if it is too tall.

nickthehunter

Southgate, MI

Senior Member

Joined: 07/18/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

Grit dog wrote:


It’s all about reading comprehension Scooby. OP originally said he needed to “tow” 9000lbs.
Later post said 9klbs cargo and towing.
Nicks right. OP is a little confused on ratings.



Good trucking grief!
Somebody is accused of ignorance after they clarified what they want to do, and I'm the 1 with reading comprehension issues?
I think the OP understands he needs something with a GCVWR of at least 9000 over MT weight, and a GVWR of over 2500 lbs (15% TW) above MT weight. And best if steer axle is not expected to take much of the payload. Now he might need a higher payload, depending on the weight of wife's load, but has not mentioned that
I know I understand that's what he needs, is that what stirs up the ankle biter?
Ask 100 people on this forum what the words "Tow capacity: Over 9000 pound" when talking about a Tow Vehicle means, and 99 will give you the same general answer; none of the answers will include the acronym GCVWR. Either you're prescient or we're all idiots.

valhalla360

No paticular place.

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2009

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 06/27/22 10:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

No idea about the brand but something like this:

https://sterlingfleetoutfitters.com/products/8-full-size-premium-truck-cap/

stsmark

Northern CA

Senior Member

Joined: 09/09/2009

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 06/27/22 10:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The Jeep Wagoneer might be able to do it. But 1500 in back and tongue weight of 7500 lb tt at the same time? Not sure anything but a HD crew cab can do that and be paper legal.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 5  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Unique situation: What tow vehicle checks all the boxes?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.