cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Credit Cards For Fuel Discounts

chuckbear
Explorer
Explorer
All of us are concerned with current high fuel prices. I have been trying to research using credit cards for either cash back or discounts at the pump to help save some money on fuel. What I'm finding is very confusing and doesn't really give me any definitive answers. So I thought I would go directly to the source. Those that are currently using cards for that very reason. So what are you all using to get the most discounts for your fuel purchases. I am not interested in getting any kind of rewards points. I'm specifically looking for discounts at the pump or cash back for gas purchases. What say you? Chuck
42 REPLIES 42

Cristian123
Explorer
Explorer
I've recently opened a mission lane credit card. Having looked through its benefits on this source, I decided that this would be a good choice. Actually, I'm pleased with it, but in order to get cash back or any other rewards, I opened the Discover it card. It turned out to be a good match. It earns 2 percent back on gas station and restaurant purchases on up to $1k in combined spending per quarter, then 1 percent back on all other purchases. But it is good to learn from the experience of others. Thanks, guys.

Puddles
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Do yโ€™all with EFS cards have your own business or corporation?
And $50 off $280 is like 18% or $.89/gallon. Sounds too good to be true?
But always willing to learn. As I donโ€™t own a business, how would I get a card?

Go to TSD Logistics webb site and click on open roads forum... read about how to get a card... this company will let you use their discount card at truck stops for a small percentage of the savings. Sometimes the savings isn't much, but the convenience is worth it to me.
HTML

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
dave54 wrote:
Some stations offer the cash price for debit cards, some don't. For those that do, you can set up a separate debit account just for your fuel, and only use that card for all fueling. Transfer money into that account as needed.

OTOH...rare is the debit card that offers cash back, and many credit cards do. So... is the cash/debit discount greater or less than the CC cash back?

I've yet to find a station where the cash discount was equal or greater than the 5% CC cash back I get. If we ever find one, then I would use cash or debit card.

I've also found that most of the time when I swipe my credit card up comes the cash price rather than the CC price.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Lumpty
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Samโ€™s Club branded MasterCard that doubles as my membership card there, that gives me 5% back on gas purchases anywhere. So for every $5/gallon, Iโ€™m getting back 25 cents. On a $175 motorhome fill, thatโ€™s $8.75. They used to do payouts only at your anniversary date, but recently changed to be able to access the rewards monthly. I just use the card to buy gas, and typically get several hundred dollars a year back in my pocket.
Rob

Too Many Toys.
- '11 E450 Sunseeker 2300
- '16 F150 Supercrew 5.0/FX4
- '09 C6 Z51
- '15 VW Golf Sportwagen daily driver
- '86 Civic and '87 CRX race cars

dave54
Explorer III
Explorer III
Some stations offer the cash price for debit cards, some don't. For those that do, you can set up a separate debit account just for your fuel, and only use that card for all fueling. Transfer money into that account as needed.

OTOH...rare is the debit card that offers cash back, and many credit cards do. So... is the cash/debit discount greater or less than the CC cash back?
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I use my Good Sam card at FlyingJ/Pilot and my Chase card that gives me cash back as a credit to my account.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
dedmiston wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:
Gee dude I was just trying to help.

I'm with you my friend. I guess ol' chuckbear NEVER buys groceries ANYWHERE, so any grocery-related suggestions are unwelcome here! Geez. Ask about gas discounts/gas cards and the whole grocery thing is going to become a part of it.

Guys - We all have our buttons. You never know what's going to trigger someone.

Wanna see me step in front of a bus? Start a thread about "hot water heaters". No such thing.

Where's the like button?
So are you saying water heaters only heat cold water and not hot water?
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dedmiston
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Caveman Charlie wrote:

I'm with you my friend. I guess ol' chuckbear NEVER buys groceries ANYWHERE, so any grocery-related suggestions are unwelcome here! Geez. Ask about gas discounts/gas cards and the whole grocery thing is going to become a part of it.

Guys - We all have our buttons. You never know what's going to trigger someone.

Wanna see me step in front of a bus? Start a thread about "hot water heaters". No such thing.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
chuckbear wrote:
Thanks for some of the suggestions but I am not looking for grocery stores to shop at for gas discounts. I ask about credit cards, so PLEASE keep the posts to that topic. That is what drives me crazy trying to get information on this forum. Chuck

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

JimBollman
Explorer
Explorer
Our Chase Visa card changes what gets bonus kick backs every quarter. This next quarter we get 5% on gas, that helps a little and when we combine that with grocery store kick backs it is almost real money.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
chuckbear wrote:
Thanks for some of the suggestions but I am not looking for grocery stores to shop at for gas discounts. I ask about credit cards, so PLEASE keep the posts to that topic. That is what drives me crazy trying to get information on this forum. Chuck

1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Durb wrote:
I use my Costco credit card at Costco gas stations and receive 4% cash back on fuel. Recently fueled up with diesel at $6.00 per gallon, netted out at $5.76. They have the lowest price locally plus cash back. This discount works at dedicated gas stations, but not at stores that have stations like Safeway and Walmart.

Downside is, even though there are plenty of Costco stations, very few have diesel. I have an auxiliary tank so I can manage short trips up and back without refueling. This has worked well for me and my travelling style.

The Costco Citi Visa offers 4% on many/most non-Costco stations as well:

https://www.creditcards.com/card-advice/gas-stations-included-citi-costco-card/

dedmiston
chuckbear wrote:
I give up. I guess I'm done here. This is a perfect example why I don't post here anymore. I should have known better. Chuck

Hey Chuck - I deleted the posts from the Kroger fighters. I left Grit's posts up because I think he's trying to support you in his own adorable way.

Don't let the fools get you down.

On the other hand, I think you already squeezed all the juice out of this thread anyway.

* AmEx
* Brand loyalty cards
* And the "other" cards, like the Publix & Sam's Club if you need a dozen eggs and a frozen pizza to go with your fuel

I think those are all the pearls of wisdom this topic has to offer.

Happy camping,
Dave

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
chuckbear wrote:
I give up. I guess I'm done here. This is a perfect example why I don't post here anymore. I should have known better. Chuck

C'mon, man...The relative price of groceries wasn't on your need to know list? LOL
If nothing else, it's entertaining watching the Grocery Outlet/Aldi shoppers bicker with the high falootin "name brand" shoopers! Hahaha
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold