cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Severely damaged windshield … is yourMH totaled ?

LandYacht35dies
Explorer
Explorer
…. Of course you have proper insurance… but what happens if the windshield isn’t available ?
12 REPLIES 12

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
LandYacht35diesel wrote:
…. Of course you have proper insurance… but what happens if the windshield isn’t available ?

What year, make and model Motorhome do you have?

I've been on three RV forums 15 years and never heard of anybody not being able to source a windshield.

Perhaps this is a first?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

Bruce_Brown
JRscooby wrote:
Bruce Brown wrote:
^^^ More like thank God we don't have to - yet. :E

Wait What? If I had a functional MH that I had cared for, but could not replace the glass I would think I had to.
Of course I have put enough miles on more than a few vehicles to understand that windshields wear out.

You missed the point - thankfully we can still get glass for most vehicles still on the road.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
MountainAir05 wrote:
If you are in Florida then: but this does not help you find one. Get the number off the lower left corner and they will help you find who made it and the numbers that you will need.

in Florida, all drivers who have Comprehensive Coverage are not responsible to pay any deductible in order to pay for services to repair damages to their vehicle's windshield.Nov 18, 2021

Yep, we had the driver's side (National SeaBreezeLX) replaced early last year and it cost us nothing.

Al

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Thank God we bought a quality motor home that is still supported after 22 years.. NEWMAR.

we replaced the windshields 3 years ago, there is a number in of the glass that will tell you which glass to order.. Your Glass dealer will know where to get the glass.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are in Florida then: but this does not help you find one. Get the number off the lower left corner and they will help you find who made it and the numbers that you will need.

in Florida, all drivers who have Comprehensive Coverage are not responsible to pay any deductible in order to pay for services to repair damages to their vehicle's windshield.Nov 18, 2021

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bruce Brown wrote:

Wait What? If I had a functional MH that I had cared for, but could not replace the glass I would think I had to.
Of course I have put enough miles on more than a few vehicles to understand that windshields wear out.

folivier
Explorer
Explorer
Some manufacturers used commonly available parts including windshields. They just may not want to tell you that. Check for a forum for that model and you might find it uses a GM or other windshield.

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
Ultimately, yes, they might total the rig over a windshield.

If you have a 40yr old rig, this is actually pretty likely. Market value of the rig might only be $5k and not many kicking around, so if a custom windshield would run $10k, odds are they cut you a check for $5k and call it good.

If you have a 2yr old $500k rig, even if it's going to be $20k to get a custom windshield produced, it makes financial sense...of course, they might drop you shortly after.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Bruce_Brown
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
People in Cuba have not been able to buy parts for cars. I have heard some of them modify the car to fit windshield they have.
To bad nobody in this country could do that

Matt_Colie
Explorer
Explorer
If you look through either the FMCA magazine or Motorhome magazine you will find a company that will bend glass for just about anything.
I may not be cheap.
Matt
Matt & Mary Colie
A sailor, his bride and their black dogs (one dear dog is waiting for us at the bridge) going to see some dry places that have Geocaches in a coach made the year we married.

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Hush! Don't put the mouth on it! I don't want to think about that.
-jbh-