Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Fifth-Wheels: Tight turn across narrow culvert?
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tight turn across narrow culvert?

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 04:09pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

We have purchased a lot on a creek off of the Pamlico River....we are very excited. But there is one problem. I have to make a left turn across a 3' wide ditch that has a 13' wide drive/culvert. I had to widen my driveway to 16' and I just barely make it. I'm looking for ideas on how to temporarily extend the culvert. My hair-brain idea is to cut 1/2" plywood into 4 = 2'x4' pieces, laminate them and use block for support on the right side for my truck front tires. Any ideas on how to make this turn?

34' 5th and F250 w/6.75' bed

* This post was last edited 06/26/22 04:29pm by riltri *   View edit history

Blue Ridge Mtns - NC

bgum

South Louisiana

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 05:07pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Is the problem that you are limited on width of drive by government law? If not limited just add additional colvert.

Michelle.S

Western NY till fall, then Sebring, FL

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 05:20pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Are you turning off a narrow two lane road, preventing you from starting the left turn from the far right shoulder?

2018 Chevy 3500HD High Country Crew Cab DRW, D/A, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Dual AC, Fireplace, Sleep #Bed, Auto Sat Dish, Stack Washer/Dryer, Auto Level Sys, Disk Brakes, Onan Gen, 17.5" "H" tires, MORryde Pin & IS, Comfort Ride, Dual Awnings, Full Body Paint

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 05:26pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Picture?

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/26/22 06:15pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turning off of narrow 2 lane road with no real shoulder. Colvert width is 13'. No desire to put in a new colvert if possible.

MitchF150

Puyallup, WA

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 07:18pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

riltri wrote:

No desire to put in a new colvert if possible.

Well, there you go.... I can't think of anyway to make your rig do anything else than you can now, so???

Your idea of building some sort of 'bridge', would just not work for me... Just add some culvert, some gravel, dirt, whatever to make the driveway wider and be done with it??

That's just my opinion with what info you provided, so unless there is more to the deal, there you go.. [emoticon]

Good luck! Mitch

2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 06/26/22 08:01pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Unless you plan on putting the trailer in there and never moving it again, you'll need a relatively easy way in and out. I agree with just bite the bullet and put in a wide enough culvert make it do-able. It would probably cost less than trying to get the trailer out of the ditch and repaired. [emoticon]

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bucky

Raleigh metro

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/22 04:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Culverts and fill are cheap. That's pretty low ground there. When the next hurricane comes do you really want to have issues getting the rig out of there?

2005 Cummins 3500 2WD LB quad cab dually pulling a 2014 Blue Ridge 3025RL

JRscooby

Indepmo

View Profile

Posted: 06/27/22 05:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't see the issue. A 2 lane road will likely be 25 foot wide. King pin to where tandem pivots likely well under 30ft.
Crowd hard to right until your past drive, crank hard left aiming the left side of truck for right side of bridge. This puts trailer axle as close to in line with driveway as can. Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow. Once the rear axle is across, cut to passenger if needed, then back to driver to get TV back on drive before trailer gets off.
Ain't no step.

riltri

Husk & Steinhatchee

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 06/27/22 05:24am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

JRscooby wrote:

I can't see the issue. A 2 lane road will likely be 25 foot wide. King pin to where tandem pivots likely well under 30ft.
Crowd hard to right until your past drive, crank hard left aiming the left side of truck for right side of bridge. This puts trailer axle as close to in line with driveway as can. Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow.Stop just before steer axle leaves pavement. Cut hard passenger, back up enough that hard cut to driver will let you get TV as far right as culvert will allow. Once the rear axle is across, cut to passenger if needed, then back to driver to get TV back on drive before trailer gets off.
Ain't no step.

I've been running that thru my mind. If I initially go just past the drive 2-3' so I over-shoot the drive. Turn hard left and pull up to the edge of road, then turn steering to passenger side and back up. That will allow my front tires to make it on the second try and it might get the RV axles far enough right to make it.and it might get the RV axles far enough right to make it.

* This post was edited 06/27/22 06:18am by riltri *

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Fifth-Wheels

> Tight turn across narrow culvert?
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Fifth-Wheels

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.