cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

GMC 3500 DRW

yellow_dog
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone make any modifications to the tire valves on a GMC / Chevy 3500 DRW? Outer and inner wheel I find are difficult to air up and check do the location of valves on aluminum wheels. I am planning on adding extensions to inner wheels, but outer valve faces inward making access somewhat awkward.
11 REPLIES 11

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
bucky wrote:
The inner wheel valve stems are a straight shot. Why would curved extensions help?

EXACTLY!!!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Retired JSO wrote:
My long air Chuck works for both inside and outside. Used on class C, class A diesel and DRW trucks.

I have a few of these but they're not the right angle to go on the valve stems.

Have to wedge my meat hook sausage finger hands into the hole with a standard chuck to get a straight shot on the stems.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
Extensions are more likely to leak. Install metal dually wheel stems like Borg and 2 short outward facing metal stems in the front if you don't have internal pressure sensors.
Absolutely, I've tried three different extensions, and they all leaked eventually. One leaked immediately, and the other two took 6 months, and a year...but they all leaked.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
The inner wheel valve stems are a straight shot. Why would curved extensions help?
Puma 30RKSS

miltvill
Explorer
Explorer
I put 4" curved metal extensions on the inner rear wheel. They are short enough that they don't vibrate against the wheel. The caps are close to the rim and difficult for me to take off so, I changed the caps on the other valve stems to a longer cap I can easily take off to check the tire pressure or add air. After 2 years they haven't leaked.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Thanks.

I have a couple of those and still canโ€™t connect to air it up.

โ€œHappy Trails โ€œ
Chiefneon

blt2ski
I prefer the straight shaft for dinner, obviously rear angle for outer. Some rims have really small openings, you can't get the angled inner dual to work. I have this issue with my IHC. Did not have the issue with my 3500 series dually s. I do admit, the straight inner works better.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
Yep the above is the trick.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
My long air Chuck works for both inside and outside. Used on class C, class A diesel and DRW trucks.

chiefneon
Explorer
Explorer
Howdy!

Iโ€™m having a even harder time with my rear DRW now that I have added TPMS. I installed flow through TPMS thinking I would be able to access them and now it is even worse.

โ€œHappy Trailsโ€
Chiefneon

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Extensions are more likely to leak. Install metal dually wheel stems like Borg and 2 short outward facing metal stems in the front if you don't have internal pressure sensors.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob