cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can trailer tires be patched?

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of goodyear endurance tires on my TT and one of them has a nail in the tread about an inch in from the sidewall. The tire is only 2 years old. Can I take it to a shop and have it patched from the inside like I've done with car tires? Is this safe? Thanks.
34 REPLIES 34

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
I guess I'm clueless about tires after 44 years in the auto repair business. So sorry to interject cautions into some of ya'll's fantasies. Towing my boat to the ramp in the neighborhood? Sure. Lawn mower tire? Sure. Headed to Arizona? No way Jose.
Puma 30RKSS

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Grit dog wrote:
@bucky, how many plugged tires you had self destruct in a short time, or ever?

I'm working on a 50% failure rate. Luckily the tires didn't fail - just the plugs!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Caveman Charlie wrote:
I've had a lot of tire plugs in my life. My local mechanic says that the insurance won't let him use them anymore. Too bad. Then the right circumstance they would work fine.

But, the picture of the tire with the big bolt in it is not something I would do. It's to big of a hole. A nail is fine but, a bolt is to large of a hole for me to feel good about it.

To each their own. Have a nice day.

Plugs are probably OK in ATV and other off road vehicles where the tires are sometimes impossible to dismount unless you have special equipment, even in a tire shop.

For a highway tire at the speeds driven, with weights carried, they are just a liability waiting to bite one in the posterior. Even retreads have almost totally disappeared from auto and light truck use due to the high failure rate. Commercial tires are often built with retreading/re-grooving planned in their future and the tire "carcass" is a lot stronger.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
klutchdust wrote:
In the early days working at a gas station we used rubber plugs, then they came out with a mushroom plug you put in a device that inserted it into the tire. Kind of like what they use today with the exception of dismounting the tire and installing it from the inside.
The rag type came into play and shown good results. For every story there will be someone that had a failure, my guess is the successful plug repair outnumbers the failures. HAven't seen any accident reports with the headlines "plugged tire grenades and kills many..."
So...for those old schoolers that grew up scraping' and savin' and doing whatever it took continue with what you know works. for the others.....

... saying a driver would be fired on the spot caught with a tire plug kit..:R

Those old rubber plugs (that looked more like a rivet) were nothing like what tires are repaired with today. There was nothing holding them in place other than air pressure on the inside and also nothing to actually keep air from migrating into the tire's cord body and cause separations. Today's "Plug Patch" Combination units have the pre-cured rubber coated with a chemical vulcanized compound that hot only holds the patch unit in place but forms a barrier to air attempting to infiltrate the cord body.

Tire manufacturers and tire chains that offered warranties started to exclude any tire repaired with a plug from warranty consideration. All based on testing by the tire industry's association testing and data gathering.

Ever since the Firestone 500/Ford Explorer fiasco tire companies became far more risk averse than they were prior to that.

As for firing a driver because they carry a plug kit, the story related is a perfect example of why. Rather than waiting for a proper repair, the driver decided he knew better and ended up destroying a tire that could cost the owner up to $600 or more.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
I've had a lot of tire plugs in my life. My local mechanic says that the insurance won't let him use them anymore. Too bad. Then the right circumstance they would work fine.

But, the picture of the tire with the big bolt in it is not something I would do. It's to big of a hole. A nail is fine but, a bolt is to large of a hole for me to feel good about it.

To each their own. Have a nice day.
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

klutchdust
Explorer II
Explorer II
In the early days working at a gas station we used rubber plugs, then they came out with a mushroom plug you put in a device that inserted it into the tire. Kind of like what they use today with the exception of dismounting the tire and installing it from the inside.
The rag type came into play and shown good results. For every story there will be someone that had a failure, my guess is the successful plug repair outnumbers the failures. HAven't seen any accident reports with the headlines "plugged tire grenades and kills many..."
So...for those old schoolers that grew up scraping' and savin' and doing whatever it took continue with what you know works. for the others.....

... saying a driver would be fired on the spot caught with a tire plug kit..:R

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
dedmiston wrote:
Grit dog wrote:

Put me down for a "zero", boss. My plugs have all held.

I have had several I suspect, and at least 3 I am sure of. Costly enough that I told all my drivers if I saw a plug kit in their truck, they where fired on the spot.
Last 1 was rated at 11,800 lbs at 130 lbs pressure. End of 3rd day, found nail hole center of tread. Told driver to call tire shop, if could not be patched safely for steer, replace it. Driver decided to plug. But what could not be seen from outside was the steel caused the nail to go in at angle. He worked to get the plug to straight in. The plug sealed the tread real good. Next morning that tire had a bulge half the size of my head. Broke it down, on the inside the plug missed the hole by half inch. If we had put a load on the truck that night the truck would of been tore all to swell.
Other times blowout I suspect caused by slow leak in a day's run.

dedmiston
Grit dog wrote:

Put me down for a "zero", boss. My plugs have all held.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
bucky wrote:
time2roll wrote:
I would skip the dismount, push in the plug, check pressure and roll. If it is loose push in 2 - 3 plugs.

Stop 15 miles later, repeat. Order parts for body repair needed.
Done it hundreds of time. No body work.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
time2roll wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:
Microlite Mike wrote:
B-n-B wrote:
First trip out in our last camper we picked up a 1/2 inch bolt. Discount patched it up and it worked fine.

FWIW, if the hole was greater than 1/4" then the "repair" was not in accordance with Industry Standards for a highway tire. Under some exceptions, repairs can be made on punctures up to 3/8" ( LT Steel Cord Body) tires.

Of all the tire stores out there, Discount Tire has had the reputation of playing fast and loose with tire repair guidelines. For years they use "rope type" tire plugs from the outside for almost all there puncture repairs.

Here's a link to the Tire Industry Association and their guide for PROPER tire repair:

Tire Repair/Tire Industry Association

The tire I had repaired was done by BigO about 10 years ago. They did recommend I only use it as a spare until I got home. I still had about 1000 miles to go on that trip. BigO did not have a tire of same size so that was my best choice at the time.
I would skip the dismount, push in the plug, check pressure and roll. If it is loose push in 2 - 3 plugs.

Stop 15 miles later, repeat. Order parts for body repair needed.
Puma 30RKSS

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
RCMAN46 wrote:
Microlite Mike wrote:
B-n-B wrote:
First trip out in our last camper we picked up a 1/2 inch bolt. Discount patched it up and it worked fine.

FWIW, if the hole was greater than 1/4" then the "repair" was not in accordance with Industry Standards for a highway tire. Under some exceptions, repairs can be made on punctures up to 3/8" ( LT Steel Cord Body) tires.

Of all the tire stores out there, Discount Tire has had the reputation of playing fast and loose with tire repair guidelines. For years they use "rope type" tire plugs from the outside for almost all there puncture repairs.

Here's a link to the Tire Industry Association and their guide for PROPER tire repair:

The tire I had repaired was done by BigO about 10 years ago. They did recommend I only use it as a spare until I got home. I still had about 1000 miles to go on that trip. BigO did not have a tire of same size so that was my best choice at the time.

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
Microlite Mike wrote:
B-n-B wrote:

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
B-n-B wrote:
RCMAN46 wrote:

Was that on the back tire of the trailer? I picked up a 3/8 bolt once had it repaired from the inside with no problems. Interesting it was the rear tire on the trailer that got the bolt.

Yep rear tire on passenger side.

I would bet most road hazard flats on TV/TT or 5th wheel units are rear passenger of trailer. Every time hit, but not picked up by a tire the crown of road will likely push it to right. Most of them just work over to shoulder, never damage a tire. Right side trailer tires are most likely to run on the shoulder. Plus, the tires on trailer tandem are running close together. In the lane or not, most time tire hits bolt or nail, it stands up. All other positions, it will fall back down. But when front trailer stands it up, it don't have much time to fall before the rear hits.

I agree with your analysis. Mine was on passenger side. My 5th wheel tires track wider than the TV so the TV may push the bolt closer to the shoulder where the trailer tires do as you described.