cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking at class c questions on maintenance

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, we currently have a fiver but lately have been looking at smaller class c around the 25ft length. My question is having to do with oil changes and was wondering - for example if it was a Ford powered rv do you take it to the ford dealer for oil changes?

Are they generally able to work on these types of vehicles without a problem?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K
29 REPLIES 29

Bordercollie
Explorer
Explorer
WinMinnie02 wrote:
Dealers and shops do not have the space for Class C over certain length. Most do it themselves or learn how to do their own oil change. It helps to be handy.

There are a number of Class motorhomers, like me, who used to do a lot of typical RV maintenance stuff, but who are no longer able to crawl under, or on top of, their rigs, or change 150 lb tires on the side of the road. I do encourage able folks to learn basics including troubleshooting of converter/chargers and battery systems with a multimeter.

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
LOL...OP posted that AFTER I posted what I posted.

Yes, what a hoot - you must be bored

Reese 16K

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:
Dealers and shops do not have the space for Class C over certain length. Most do it themselves or learn how to do their own oil change. It helps to be handy.

I am handy but was more interested when on the road travelling. The rig I am looking at is relatively small and in the 23-25ft area. The last thing I want to do is an oil change in some campground or if something else breaks that you cannot fix yourself and need to take it somewhere to be repaired.

Good point many unexpected things can happen while on the road no matter how much maintenance you have done before you leave. Tough to do work on side of the road, SOL. Now if you are in a safe place like a campground call the parts store if you need parts in an emergency such as fluids, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, and hoses. I assume you always bring your tools with you for just in case, including 20 ton bottle jack, impact tools, and a spare tire.

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
SJ-Chris wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
SJ-Chris wrote:
Oil change specifically is typically a SIMPLE job on Class C RVs. They are high enough off the ground that you can crawl under (or put your leveling blocks/etc underneath...of course be careful anytime you go under a vehicle!). On many Class C RVs, the oil filter is also underneath and simple to get to.

It will take you LESS time (and of course money) to change the oil yourself if you consider driving to the shop, waiting your turn (or dropping it off, getting a ride back and forth, etc), waiting for them to change the oil, and driving home.

For anything safety related, I want a certified RV shop or mechanic to perform the task (liability reasons).

Good luck!
Chris

Assuming you coordinate it with another trip (the OP was asking about while traveling so I assume there are moves involved), there is negligible drive time involved. Add in that you can typically just show up and get in within 5-10minutes and much easier than making an appointment at the dealer and paying an inflated rate. Never had to leave a vehicle at an oil change place and come back later.

Most campgrounds won't be happy with you doing an oil change at the campsite.

Here is the original post:

austinjenna wrote:
Hello, we currently have a fiver but lately have been looking at smaller class c around the 25ft length. My question is having to do with oil changes and was wondering - for example if it was a Ford powered rv do you take it to the ford dealer for oil changes?

I don't see anything in the original post about "while traveling".
Unless my trip was for 5000+ miles, I'd either change the oil before going or when I got back.

-Chris

Quote from OP: I know I can change it myself. I was actually wondering where people go when they are out on a trip and needed to have some service done, like an oil change for example. I know if something is rv related I would need to go to an rv shop

LOL...OP posted that AFTER I posted what I posted.
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

I-Can-Am-Can-Yo
Explorer
Explorer
austinjenna wrote:

I am handy but was more interested when on the road travelling. The rig I am looking at is relatively small and in the 23-25ft area. The last thing I want to do is an oil change in some campground or if something else breaks that you cannot fix yourself and need to take it somewhere to be repaired.

Any Chevy or Ford medium truck dealer will work on them. Coughlin in Pataskala has done work on my Class C

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I start think about oil changes maybe 6 weeks before a trip. If it's gonna be close I have the oil changed.
So there I was in about 1975, sitting in the waiting area of Sam Montgomery Olds in Houston. Before long it was just me and a cute soccer mom. I asked her what she was having done. "An oil change". Your husband can't do that? No he went to college to tell others what to do and to be able to pay others to do things like oil changes. Uh uh, OK I see. I crawl under the rug.
I always did as much maintenance as I felt comfortable doing. When we bought from a small country Jeep/Ram/Chevy/Ford dealer they asked about bringing the Jeep back for routine service. That was 12 years ago. They charge $10 labor for a oil change.
I bring the oil and filter. They do the fuel system filters on the Ram for a good bit more. I stand outside the oil change house and watch.
I would say find a shop that has a pit, not a lift. If you can get it in the bay doors, they can work on it.
Don't go in the waiting room and watch TV. Hang around and watch them.
Never had to wait more than 2 days for an appointment.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

John_S_
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you look up ford truck places they will,sec=rice it but it may take a week to,get you in or longer. Most repair places can handle it they can fit it in the shop. On the road I have never had to,do,an oil change. I. 400k miles of rv travel.
John
2015 Born Free Royal Splendor on a Ford 550
2018 Rubicon
Boo Boo a Mi Kie
42' 36' & 34 Foretravels sold
2007 Born free 24 sold
2001 Wrangler sold
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland sold
Susie Dolly, Lolly &Doodle (CKC) now in our hearts and thoughts

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer

Reese 16K

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We have found that our local car dealers do not want to do RVs. We have found that shops that do trucks will usually be willing.
If we are travelling, we ask the campground where to go -- most of them know a place. We have found a local shop that is good but we call ahead to make sure they have a big enough bay available for us.

There are a number of places that I wouldn't ask because I don't think I could get the rig through their parking lot.
David and Dayle

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SJ-Chris wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
SJ-Chris wrote:
Oil change specifically is typically a SIMPLE job on Class C RVs. They are high enough off the ground that you can crawl under (or put your leveling blocks/etc underneath...of course be careful anytime you go under a vehicle!). On many Class C RVs, the oil filter is also underneath and simple to get to.

It will take you LESS time (and of course money) to change the oil yourself if you consider driving to the shop, waiting your turn (or dropping it off, getting a ride back and forth, etc), waiting for them to change the oil, and driving home.

For anything safety related, I want a certified RV shop or mechanic to perform the task (liability reasons).

Good luck!
Chris

Assuming you coordinate it with another trip (the OP was asking about while traveling so I assume there are moves involved), there is negligible drive time involved. Add in that you can typically just show up and get in within 5-10minutes and much easier than making an appointment at the dealer and paying an inflated rate. Never had to leave a vehicle at an oil change place and come back later.

austinjenna wrote:

Unless my trip was for 5000+ miles, I'd either change the oil before going or when I got back.

-Chris

Quote from OP: I know I can change it myself. I was actually wondering where people go when they are out on a trip and needed to have some service done, like an oil change for example. I know if something is rv related I would need to go to an rv shop
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SJ-Chris
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
SJ-Chris wrote:

Good luck!
Chris

austinjenna wrote:

-Chris
San Jose, CA
Own two 2015 Thor Majestic 28a Class C RVs

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
SJ-Chris wrote:

Good luck!
Chris

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
austinjenna wrote:
I know I can change it myself. I was actually wondering where people go when they are out on a trip and needed to have some service done, like an oil change for example. I know if something is rv related I would need to go to an rv shop

You are a member here for 20 years , nothing much will be any different running a 25’ class C. 🙂 Handle it the same way you would operating your fiver and HD pickup.

Get yourself a road service company.
AAA
Coach-Net
Good Sam road service

Make one phone call, tell them what you need. They find you someone that can accommodate a class C.