cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are there any snowbird RV parks in New Mexico?

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
We've been wintering in Texas, but the RV parks we stay at has sold and we are tired of the whole right wing leaning of Texas. So we're thinking of other locations. We'll miss the beach and our friends but if we find a good place to land for the winter maybe some friends will come along. Does anyone know of places to winter in New Mexico?
2014 Grand Design Solitude 369RL
2017 F350 6.7 DRW CC LB 4X4
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2009 Saab 93 Aero Convertible
2004 Honda Goldwing GL1800
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream
16 REPLIES 16

Brassica
Explorer
Explorer
We are plotting a snowbird vacation to NM. Love the state since our car camping trip in late May many years ago. Wikipedia climate reports average lows in Las Cruces below freezing in January and near freezing in February. The altitude is over 3000 feet.

I have been trading emails with a friend in Albuquerque. It's a few degrees colder there. He says the cold snaps don't last long, and don't expect a lot of strong storms.

I would like to go somewhere to watch wildlife and pedal my bike. I don't know if NM fits the bill. Our trailer is small and it gets smaller as the temperatures drop. Last January in Northern Florida was surprisingly cold. Lots of good advice on this thread, thanks everybody! ๐Ÿ™‚
pawatt wrote:
If you are looking for warm Winter weather in New Mexico you will not find much. It is significantly colder in most areas due to higher elevations.

joshuajim
Explorer
Explorer
LMHS wrote:
and been stuck here since 2010 .

So what jail are you in?
RVing since 1995.

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
If you are looking for warm Winter weather in New Mexico you will not find much. It is significantly colder in most areas due to higher elevations.
pawatt

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
I don't recall any noseeums in Summerdale. A few early skeeters but nothing else of note.

For noseeums, try No-Natz spay or Avon Skin-So-Soft original bath oil.
-jbh-

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
More good ideas. I checked out several locations in Alabama. They look promising. One question: are there NO SEE'EM (spelling) bugs in that area? We ran into those bugs in the panhandle before and they nearly ate me alive.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

millesecond
Explorer
Explorer
We started with a plan 11 years ago to find a new winter spot each winter. Started in the east valley of Phoenix and have been back to the same spot every winter as wife said too many nice people that are all from our neck of the woods...Mn & Wi
If you like to ride a motorcycle it's a good place to be, we can be up in the mountains in 45 minutes.

rv park
2011 GMC 3500
2004 HH Champagne 35sk

charlestonsouth
Explorer
Explorer
LMHS -- You just mentioned my favorite place in the mountains; we tow our small camper to the KOA on the Cherokee Reservation around September, buy their fishing license for $5.00 and with my little cane pole catch some of the most beautiful brown speckled trout in those little streams and they are tasty, too. If we rise very early to track some of the hordes of elk, we first stop by Peters Pancake House for great cups of coffee and some tasty waffles with all types of syrup and eggs prepared "over easy." Just don't know how people like Dollywood or Sevierville as they are so crowded. And the children at the schools have made such beautiful art, and I always bring home a few pieces for display. If you go home in September, take the time to go by the KOA and see a 25-foot Hi-Lo camper sitting in the park, come knock on my door, and we will make you breakfast. You should be proud of your little town.

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
johnhicks wrote:
Look at the southwest Alabama area, Foley, Summerdale, Gulf Shores etc. There's everything from relatively inexpensive parks to full resort style. You'll have a couple of below-freezing nights every week Jan-Feb but no single digits. Yes it's politically conservative but not in-your-face.

This is a good suggestion. Also the panhandle of Florida.

As for politics, forget it. Who the he11 cares what others think? I stay away from it. Find a place you like, enjoy the area and its amenities, and keep your mouth shut about politics (and walk away from others that won't).
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

johnhicks
Explorer
Explorer
Look at the southwest Alabama area, Foley, Summerdale, Gulf Shores etc. There's everything from relatively inexpensive parks to full resort style. You'll have a couple of below-freezing nights every week Jan-Feb but no single digits. Yes it's politically conservative but not in-your-face.
-jbh-

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
Even in the far south parts of NM, you will have several months of single digit temps (End of Dec, all of Jan, Feb and beginning of March). I have been told I went to the "wrong" desert for mild winter temps. As far as "resorts", you might try the Truth Or Consequences area (yes, that is truly the name of the town).

klr650goldwing
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the political advise. I agree with all that has been said. Perhaps I shouldn't have included that topic with this post.

We are open to going anywhere, other than TX. From what ya'll said it sounds like New Mexico is too cold in winter. Is that about the size of it? We haven't tried Florida or California, but from what we have heard, those two areas are much more expensive than TX. Please offer any parks that you think might work for us.
2012 Mercedes E550
2010 Honda Civic
2004 Kawasaki KLR650
1966 Honda 305 Dream

valhalla360
Nomad
Nomad
bgum wrote:
People generally find or see what they are looking. When the chips are down you will be amazed at how liberal the population is

You'll find right and left wingers everywhere. Most people are more in the middle or at least not extreme. If you don't engage in political discussion with the more extreme ones (of either side), it's really not a big deal if you practice tolerance.

When the chips are down, most people set aside politics.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Tell Your conservative friends you are left wing liberal ,, they will avoid you like the plague.
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
RetiredRealtorRick wrote:
Are you limiting your search to the southwest? Lots of great places along the gulf coast (other than Texas) if you head southeast rather than southwest.

Yes but not so much if the OP is looking for a unified hard core left wing liberal hang out.

N. Mexico is probably closer to that but weather can get cold even in the south part of the state.

And even then, I've found RVers tend to be more conservative in general, particularly retirees. Heck, they drive RVs with big 6-7liter engines.

Even in S. Cal, we found it tends to be less hard core left wing liberal at the wintering RV parks.

People generally find or see what they are looking. When the chips are down you will be amazed at how liberal the population is