cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dog biscuits and bugs

winnietrey
Explorer
Explorer
This might be something to file away, if it happens to you.

Last few weeks lots of little brown bugs invaded the kitchen, could not for the life of us figure out what they were, or where they were coming from. Turns out they were "warehouse beetles" and they had come in via a package of dog biscuits we had bought.

Apparently according to google, dog food is a common way for these to be brought into the house.

As I said, just kind of a heads up, if it happens to you, they don't bite and they are not harmful,
5 REPLIES 5

violajones
Explorer
Explorer
Scottiemom wrote:
I don't want my dogs eating those biscuits even if the freezer manages to kill the bugs, so I will just throw them out.

Dale

I completely agree with you that it is a mockery of a dog to give such biscuits to her food

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer
Explorer
Along this same idea - when I get dog food shipped to our house - I ALWAYS open the box outside. Twice I've had cockroaches pop out of a box (not the actual bag of dog food) and it certainly makes sense that any place that warehouses a bunch of pet food will have "critters". I just don't want those critters inside my house.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Scottiemom
Nomad
Nomad
I don't want my dogs eating those biscuits even if the freezer manages to kill the bugs, so I will just throw them out.

Dale
Dale Pace
Widow of Terry (Teacher's Pet)

Traveling with Brendon, my Scottish Terrier

2022 Honda Odyssey
2011 Mazda Miata MX-5

2021 Coach House Platinum III 250DT
Fulltimed for 15 years, now living in Florida

http://www.skoolzoutforever.blogspot.com/

LMHS
Explorer II
Explorer II
To make a bug trap, take a 6 to 10 inch piece of very sticky tape (I use Gorilla brand duct tape because I always have it on hand), tape it to a flat area where you have been seeing the little beetles with two small pieces of duct tape (one on each end so it lays flat). The sticky tape will trap the beetles when they walk on it. Just fold the sticky sides of the tape together over the beetles, seal it up so they can't escape, toss the tape into the garbage. Also works on roaches.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
stick the package in the freezer for a few days, remove for a few days, then back in for a few days.

The first freeze kills the adult bugs, but not the eggs/larvae. The removal allows the eggs/larvae to hatch, then the second freeze kills THEM.
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)