Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Tow Vehicles: Dino juice v Electrons....
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Dino juice v Electrons....

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next
Lantley

Ellicott City, Maryland

Senior Member

Joined: 08/23/2005

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/22 05:15am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Turtle n Peeps Wrote:
CaliforniSorry LI batteries "as they are today", are not going to be used for long haul trucking......EVER. For towing a tent trailer with your Lightning a few miles to the lake CG? Maybe.


By my timeline I've got 30 years worth of Today's to find a solution.
To think nothing will change in 30 years is a bit pessimistic!


19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide


fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/01/22 07:12am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

free radical wrote:

Which one of you diesel worshipers does this for fun. Be honest now

https://youtu.be/naMc7cWVk3M

[emoticon]
Just can't fix stupid.


Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

time2roll

Southern California

Senior Member

Joined: 03/21/2005

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member


Posted: 07/01/22 07:41am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

fj12ryder wrote:

free radical wrote:

Which one of you diesel worshipers does this for fun. Be honest now

https://youtu.be/naMc7cWVk3M

[emoticon]
Just can't fix stupid.
I assume these guys rinse off in used diesel oil [emoticon]


2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 05/06/2013

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/01/22 09:47am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Ahhh, Peeps, now you're falling into the trap I do, where using math and proven principles and technology to disprove marketing fodder falls on the deaf ears of the right brained dreamers who still cant figure out how to sanitize a water jug or why a propane tank wont "leak" if the hose gets cut, much less comprehend something as complex as an electric vehicle. They're still trying to figure out why they can charge 3 phones, but can't microwave a bag of popcorn off their 1000W inverter and why their "solar charger" doesn't fully charge 2 golf cart batteries while they're off on a little nature hike!


2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

Senior Member

Joined: 08/19/2003

View Profile



Posted: 07/01/22 02:42pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Those kinds of videos brings home the message that 50% of the population is of below average intelligence. [emoticon]

bgum

South Louisiana

Senior Member

Joined: 02/22/2006

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/05/22 11:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Turtle n Peeps wrote:

bgum wrote:

Roughly $40 difference in fuel cost.


Hu???[emoticon] [emoticon]

They both went 86 miles. Correct?

The EV was essentially out of juice. Correct?

It cost $27 dollars to "fill" the Lightning. Correct?

The Chevy got a hair less than 9 miles/ gallon. Correct?

They paid $4.80 a gallon for gas. Correct?

To go 86 miles the Chevy used 9.5 gallons of gas. Correct?

9.5 gallons of gas at 4.80= $46 bucks. (all numbers rounded)

The Lighting took $27 bucks to go the same distance.

So $27 bucks from 46 bucks= $19 bucks. Correct?

Not even close to $40 bucks. Correct? [emoticon]


Don't worry, Yosemite Sam will probably be by shortly to justify the common core math that bgum is doing....


You failed to notice the EV didn't tow but half way home as he stopped to drop off trailer. This explains difference.
Details Details pay attention to the details.

shelbyfv

TN

Senior Member

Joined: 02/18/2006

View Profile



Posted: 07/05/22 01:36pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Grit dog wrote:

Ahhh, Peeps, now you're falling into the trap I do, where using math and proven principles and technology to disprove marketing fodder falls on the deaf ears of the right brained dreamers who still cant figure out how to sanitize a water jug or why a propane tank wont "leak" if the hose gets cut, much less comprehend something as complex as an electric vehicle. They're still trying to figure out why they can charge 3 pho nes, but can't microwave a bag of popcorn off their 1000W inverter and why their "solar charger" doesn't fully charge 2 golf cart batteries while they're off on a little nature hike!
It's probably true that there are some clueless simpletons in the RV community, same as anywhere. Thankfully, folks who make a living developing high tech didn't get there with low brain power. Most of us couldn't get through second year college math, much less engineering school or an advanced degree in any science. I'm optimistic because I know smarter people are out there working on solutions. Less so when I ponder if the rest of us will have the judgement to accept them.





Thermoguy

Graham, WA

Senior Member

Joined: 01/04/2017

View Profile



Good Sam RV Club Member

Offline
Posted: 07/05/22 02:30pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I hope people realize that finding new and improving battery technology is the #1 thing being worked on by companies today. Everyone knows that Li-Ion is a limited resource, heavy, and doesn't hold much power. EV's are sill a proof of concept, and they are taking off, so the concept works. New battery technology includes Sodium Ion, fuel cell, graphene, and many more. With my limited knowledge, even I know this is the future. There are 2 things manufactures are trying to perfect, lowering the cost, and longer battery life = more power for size and weight. Even the charging systems are in their infancy. They are building more and more each day. Our Government is spending billions to add more charging stations and replace old ones. This will only get more prevalent as more and more people own EV's. Right now they are grocery getters. In my lifetime and many who are on this thread, they will be here and they will replace most common vehicles. Just look at every car manufacturer has an EV and even more are sprouting up such as Tesla and Rivian. As for the semi truck revolution, they are here and will be replacing long haul trucks, along with autonomous vehicles. It's right around the corner. Technology is evolving faster than I can write this message...

Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/22 09:22am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

bgum wrote:

You failed to notice the EV didn't tow but half way home as he stopped to drop off trailer. This explains difference.
Details Details pay attention to the details.


If you notice I ran the figures from the start of the trip to the charging station which was 86 miles for both vehicles. Another way to look at it is this: The electric Lightning cost was about .38 cents a mile and the gas Chevy truck was about .53 cents a mile to run.

The Lightning took 27 bucks to fill. (In total reality it took somewhere around $33 or $34 bucks to fill because they said they only put 3/4 of a fill into the battery because it too so long to "fill.")

It would take longer to fill the battery than to the brim than to actually drive the trip towing the small trailer. [emoticon] [emoticon] Plus on the next leg of the trip you could only go about 65 miles on that 3/4 of a charge. [emoticon] [emoticon] [emoticon]

An interesting note is 3 years ago it would have been a lot cheaper to drive the gasoline truck / mile towing. You see, it's hard to sell electric vehicles when gas is cheap. [emoticon]


~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~


"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln


Turtle n Peeps

California

Senior Member

Joined: 06/23/2008

View Profile


Offline
Posted: 07/06/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thermoguy wrote:

I hope people realize that finding new and improving battery technology is the #1 thing being worked on by companies today. Everyone knows that Li-Ion is a limited resource, heavy, and doesn't hold much power. EV's are sill a proof of concept, and they are taking off, so the concept works. New battery technology includes Sodium Ion, fuel cell, graphene, and many more. With my limited knowledge, even I know this is the future. There are 2 things manufactures are trying to perfect, lowering the cost, and longer battery life = more power for size and weight. Even the charging systems are in their infancy. They are building more and more each day. Our Government is spending billions to add more charging stations and replace old ones. This will only get more prevalent as more and more people own EV's. Right now they are grocery getters. In my lifetime and many who are on this thread, they will be here and they will replace most common vehicles. Just look at every car manufacturer has an EV and even more are sprouting up such as Tesla and Rivian. As for the semi truck revolution, they are here and will be replacing long haul trucks, along with autonomous vehicles. It's right around the corner. Technology is evolving faster than I can write this message...


You seem to think battery's are new? Battery's and battery powered vehicles have been around since the 1800's. They even pre-date ICE vehicles.

In reality scientists have been working on improving the battery for over a 100 years.

Hell, even LI battery's have been around since the mid 70's to early 80's. Even with the best of technology we have out today I still have to plug in my phone in every night to charge. And my phone uses very little energy compared to a big energy user like a truck. All of those battery's you mentioned have their pluses and minuses. Some are energy density, some are cost, some are they just fail over a short period of time.

As far as the Semi goes, you're in dream land, and here is why. In a few words it's "energy density"......or lack there of.

Let me put up a picture for you that may bring it a little bit better into focus for you:
[image]

See the problem now?

It's really easy to compare electric to gas or electric to diesel. It's not magic. We know how much energy in in a KWH or electricity and we know how much energy is in a gallon of diesel. To get the same amount of energy out of diesel you need the same amount of power electricity. It's really that simple.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Page  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 17  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Tow Vehicles

 > Dino juice v Electrons....
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Tow Vehicles


New posts No new posts
Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:




© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.