cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Everybody must get stoned, rock on...

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
A year and half ago I widened the parking pad for our 24' Class C. If parked on the concrete driveway it blocked most of my access to the garage {our coach is 101" wide}. I dug down and created a 3' X 27' hole, framed in 6 X 6" timbers. Ffilled and compacted this with crushed granite and topped it all off with concrete gravel. I added a few large rocks along there oujtside edge and called it good.... :R I gained 3' of additional space which freed up my garage access and it looked like this:

The problem was the outside bank dropped down 3' on a steep and slippery slope and getting in or out of the coach when parked on the pad extension was a broken ankle waiting to happed. The solution was obviously going to involve a lot of rocks. I made 3 trips to the gravel pit and lined the outside edge with rocks to help stabilize the bank and to provide a little better footing.

The final solution came today... after 3 trips out into the woods on my Rzr loading large "Moss Rocks" as the locals call them I finally had enough to put in steps and a short walking path of stepping stones. The 15 large rocks were 3 to 6" thick and weighed between 15 and 60 # a piece coming in around 500+#.

Now you can easily walk across the driveway, down 3 steps and proceed a few steps more before climbing the stair steps of moss rocks to the door of the coach.

I hauled one huge moss rock, 30" X 16" X 5" to use under the passenger side dallies to bring the coach dead level and keep my frig happy, don't even want to think about how much that one weighed. ๐Ÿ™‚

For good measure I drove two, 2'X 3/8" rebar in front of the two largest stair steps and everything else has been set and compacted with no discernible motion from any of the stones. Don't remember how many hours I have in this entire project but today was 3 hours of hump, hump and hump some more! Being closer to 71 than 70 my afternoon is going to consist of a long hot shower followed by multiple trips to the Jacuzzi, IBprofenand perhaps an adult beverage or two.

:B
16 REPLIES 16

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
Actually the the city fathers of Payson had the foresight to deal with the issue of water years ago. They built a reservoir that's sole purpose is to ensure Payson will always have a reliable water source unlike many areas of the southwest. Water is diverted from the reservoir into the Verde River every year ensuring its continued flow year round.

Additionally at 5,000' we get lots of rain {as shown in the photo I posted} and even decent snowfall most years. As for my yard it is a small lawn {see my previous post from 6/29 on page 1 of this thread} and 5 minutes a day a few days a week are all I need to run the irrigation system, during the Monsoon and less during the colder 5 months of the year.

Other than my 20' X 20' garden {4 fruit trees, Blackberries, Raspberries and a few tomatoes} every tree {Ponderosa Pine, Juniper, Oak, Manzanita etc} and plant on our .57 acre lot are all native that do well in the drier years.

I paved our driveways and have used stone and gravel extensively to help control runoff and keep the dust down. When we lived in Tucson the entire yard was rock with all of the plants on drip irrigation but then the High Sonoran Desert is a totally different environment.

:C

Thank you for your answer
1993 Cobra Sunrise, 20 foot Travel Trailer.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Actually the the city fathers of Payson had the foresight to deal with the issue of water years ago. They built a reservoir that's sole purpose is to ensure Payson will always have a reliable water source unlike many areas of the southwest. Water is diverted from the reservoir into the Verde River every year ensuring its continued flow year round.

Additionally at 5,000' we get lots of rain {as shown in the photo I posted} and even decent snowfall most years. As for my yard it is a small lawn {see my previous post from 6/29 on page 1 of this thread} and 5 minutes a day a few days a week are all I need to run the irrigation system, during the Monsoon and less during the colder 5 months of the year.

Other than my 20' X 20' garden {4 fruit trees, Blackberries, Raspberries and a few tomatoes} every tree {Ponderosa Pine, Juniper, Oak, Manzanita etc} and plant on our .57 acre lot are all native that do well in the drier years.

I paved our driveways and have used stone and gravel extensively to help control runoff and keep the dust down. When we lived in Tucson the entire yard was rock with all of the plants on drip irrigation but then the High Sonoran Desert is a totally different environment.

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
You betcha! I confess to spending a fair amount of time taking care of my garden and the lawn...cheap entertainment. Happily the Monsoon has arrived. We have had a quarter inch of rain or more 4 of the last 5 days. We just finished a monster thunderstorm that dropped .75" in 45 minutes with lots of very intense lightning directly overhead.

Funny story... When we were looking for a place here in Payson the Realtor said this one had a "Seasonal stream", turns out it is just a drainage ditch but fortunately it works quite well. It went from bone dry to this in about 15 m minutes:

Isn't the Colorado river levels so low that Lake Mead and Lake Powel going dry? Wouldn't it be better to put natural plans in your yard that don't use so much water ? Soon a lot of the southern states will have little water and limited electricity and people will have to move somewhere else. I don't know what part of the state you are in though.

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
Sure enjoy your posts, you always describe the job, activity, or adventure so all of us can understand. You do nice work no matter the project. Thank for allowing us to follow along.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
We're in Phoenix now for a couple Dr appointments. But we were at the Payson Elks for most of those rains.
Sure did enjoy the rain.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
You betcha! I confess to spending a fair amount of time taking care of my garden and the lawn...cheap entertainment. Happily the Monsoon has arrived. We have had a quarter inch of rain or more 4 of the last 5 days. We just finished a monster thunderstorm that dropped .75" in 45 minutes with lots of very intense lightning directly overhead.

Funny story... When we were looking for a place here in Payson the Realtor said this one had a "Seasonal stream", turns out it is just a drainage ditch but fortunately it works quite well. It went from bone dry to this in about 15 m minutes:

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
DC, is that real grass? In Arizona?
It sure is green.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

Caveman_Charlie
Explorer
Explorer
Cool :C

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cptnvideo wrote:
I'm wondering why you didn't back in putting the entry on the driveway side.

Because the rear overhang enables me to park further back from the garage enhancing that access. I can overhang the drainage ditch but could not get the front end end that far back . This pic shows it little better:

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
I'm wondering why you didn't back in putting the entry on the driveway side.

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
A couple 6 x 6 timbers cut in 1/2 would also have made a nice set of steps. Of course your way only cost a little more effort. Nice project.

dedmiston
I remember this project when you posted your pics from Phase I.

This looks good. My wife is also a rock rustler and has done a lot in our yard with rocks from our favorite spots. Looks like you bagged your limit.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

Tiger4x4RV
Nomad
Nomad
This job was worth all of the sweat and pain it caused you. Broken ankles are to be avoided at all costs. When I broke mine a few years ago at age 70, I was unable to drive for 7 1/2 months. So much Tiger travel time lost.....
2006 Tiger CX 4x4, 8.1 L gas V-8, Allison 6-speed

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
Finally got the pics posted... here is the last one of the dually support stone darn, that was heavy!} :E