cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power Gear air bag vs leveling Jacks

jts140
Explorer
Explorer
Could someone tell me advantages or disadvantages of Power Gear system vs leveling Jack system. Went to look at 07 Monaco and I'm only familiar with leveling jacks. This coach did not have jacks and leveled with the air bag system. It did have 10 airbags that were replaced three years ago with better bags. Are there limits to the leveling of these?

KInda of worries me for my current 5th wheel to level uses all the travel on the front jacks on my driveway.
5 REPLIES 5

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
There are 3 systems
1. Hyd Jacks
2. Hyd Jacks AND air bag leveling
3. Air bag only leveling
4. The advantage to air bag leveling is you never have to worry about the ground situation(sand/dirt/mud) for the jacks to sink into. Both Air Bag and combo Jack/Air usually have a 12 volt air pump. Once you turn the Motorhome OFF and have leveled, the electric air pump will continue to air up the bags as they lose pressure and this will also cause the system to continue to keep you level.
5. You don't state what model Monaco, but usually the Hi line signature with Tag axles had the air only. The less expensive Monaco's had Air/Hyd jack. Doug

PS to your other question, Air bag and Hyd jacks have almost the same amount of lift available. The BIG difference is, with Hyd, and your site is very uneven you can install wood blocks under Hyd jacks to gain more lift.

Bruce_Brown
The air leveling system works well. My only hesitation is, back when our friends had theirs, is there was still some movement in the coach you don't get with jacks.

I am extremely sensitive to movement so it bothered me - I get motion sick real easy, if you aren't then it's a wonderful system.

I know some units have both - air to level then jacks to stabilize. I would think that would be the best of both worlds.
There are 24 hours in every day - it all depends on how you choose to use them.
Bruce & Jill Brown
2008 Kountry Star Pusher 3910

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
BTW The tag bags are not used for leveling. The steer and drive axles can go up or down for leveling. Backing into your driveway the drive can lower and the steer raise and this may/may not be adequate to level (or close enough).
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
You should have tried the air bags. I think they are better.
For one the air bags system RV are lower to the ground than a jack system.

Had both and will take the air bags.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Push a button and it levels side to side and front to back. The leveling of course has mechanical limits. Very rarely did I need additional leveling blocks but if your driveway does then you'll know the next time.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob