Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: General RVing Issues: Traveling with Propane on
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with Propane on

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next
toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/22 10:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

opnspaces wrote:

Why are people only concerned about that tiny refrigerator pilot light when fueling and not that much larger water heater flame, or possibly the furnace flame?

Because most people don't ever have a desire or need to run the water heater or furnace while driving. They don't need the hot water while driving and they use the cab heat in the motorhome or the tow vehicle to keep warm.

The fridge comes up in question because people want to use it to keep their food cold while driving for 4+ hours.

1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/22 11:20am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

opnspaces wrote:

Why are people only concerned about that tiny refrigerator pilot light when fueling and not that much larger water heater flame, or possibly the furnace flame?

Because most people don't ever have a desire or need to run the water heater or furnace while driving. They don't need the hot water while driving and they use the cab heat in the motorhome or the tow vehicle to keep warm.

The fridge comes up in question because people want to use it to keep their food cold while driving for 4+ hours.

This wasn't true for us when we had our previous MH's. We ran the furnace when travelling in winter to keep the whole MH warm and pipes from freezing. We've also used hot water while en route. I always turned these things off when fueling however. I was never comfortable with an open flame while fueling however small the risk.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/22 11:52am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

toedtoes wrote:

I know it was a joke. It's just one that annoys the heck out of me because so many people REALLY BELIEVE they cannot cut the tags off pillows, etc.
It is very clear the tag must remain on for disclosure to the end user. Would have helped if it said the end user could remove. BTW mine have all been removed [emoticon]

If the fridge was required to be off while in motion there would be a tag or an automatic valve.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/01/22 01:29pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

When we start a trip we plug the trailer in the day before and run the fridge on electric.
I turn the fridge on LP as were leaving and never turn off the LP till were plugged into 110v.
Our first rv campers had the old ice boxes that required block ice to keep things "COOL".
Later the industry went to LP fridges which was a godsend. Now we could actually keep meats/other foods frozen on those long 500-600 mile a day runs in 110 degree weather at 55-60 mph.

As a victim of spoiled foods from the old ice box era my LP fridge never gets turned off. I hope no one ever gets that sick.

My large rv dealer in my area (37 years) says they have yet to see a rv fire started by the LP fridge at a gas station.

But burned rv vehicles started by the LP heaters is common.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/01/22 02:06pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

time2roll wrote:

toedtoes wrote:

I know it was a joke. It's just one that annoys the heck out of me because so many people REALLY BELIEVE they cannot cut the tags off pillows, etc.
It is very clear the tag must remain on for disclosure to the end user. Would have helped if it said the end user could remove. BTW mine have all been removed [emoticon]

If the fridge was required to be off while in motion there would be a tag or an automatic valve.

I agree with all.

smthbros

WI

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/22 04:31pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

My trailer has a tag behind the propane bottles stating that "container shutoff valves shall be closed during transit".

fj12ryder

Platte City, MO

View Profile

Posted: 07/02/22 05:32pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

CYA.

Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

austinjenna

Columbus, Ohio

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 05:13am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Quote:

This wasn't true for us when we had our previous MH's. We ran the furnace when travelling in winter to keep the whole MH warm and pipes from freezing. We've also used hot water while en route. I always turned these things off when fueling however. I was never comfortable with an open flame while fueling however small the risk.

I think that you are in a very small minority of folks who travel with a furnace and hot water on.

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

PButler96

Midwest

View Profile

Posted: 07/03/22 05:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I wonder if some of these people commenting in this threadopen all the windows before they rip one loose while driving, because you never know when some errant spark up in the dashboard could potentially ignite the methane. I'd bet some actually hold it back until they can pull over to get into the great wide open LOL.

toedtoes

California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/03/22 07:32am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

I wonder if some of these people commenting in this threadopen all the windows before they rip one loose while driving, because you never know when some errant spark up in the dashboard could potentially ignite the methane. I'd bet some actually hold it back until they can pull over to get into the great wide open LOL.

Not really necessary to be rude. Every one here has indicated why THEY do or do not. No one has stated that everyone should do the same or they will die. It's like most everything else, everyone has their own comfort level about it. Nothing wrong with that.

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 7  
Prev  |  Next

Open Roads Forum  >  General RVing Issues

> Traveling with Propane on
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in General RVing Issues

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.