cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kansas City to Estes Park

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
We make this trip every year and looking for advice about highway 40. It seems the stretch of I70 from the state line to E470 is getting rougher every year. Thinking about getting off at Oakley and taking 40 to Limon and then 71 up to Bush.
Any thoughts or recommendations?

Gary
2 REPLIES 2

Solo
Explorer
Explorer
Thom02099 wrote:
An option to consider would be to take I-29 NORTH to St. Joseph and take US 36 all the way across Kansas. It's a good 2 lane road, small towns every 30-40 miles apart for pit stops/fuel/food or just to rest. Flat in the eastern part of the state, more rolling hills as you get further west. A couple of nice state parks in the western portion at Lovewell Lake SP or Prairie Dog SP. Both offer various hookup options if needed.

At St Francis KS, there's 2 options. Stay on US 36 to CO 71 and north to Brush, or take KS 27 north to Haigler NE where you can pick up US 34 and take that all the way in to Brush, Fort Morgan, Greeley and Loveland on the way to Estes Park.

Personally I prefer the 2nd option to go up to US 34, I've done that several times both directions.

Second that. This has been our path of choice many, many times over the years.
Solo
2011 Itasca Ellipse 42QD, 450 HP ISL Cummins
2012 Jeep JKU with SMI DUO Braking System

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
An option to consider would be to take I-29 NORTH to St. Joseph and take US 36 all the way across Kansas. It's a good 2 lane road, small towns every 30-40 miles apart for pit stops/fuel/food or just to rest. Flat in the eastern part of the state, more rolling hills as you get further west. A couple of nice state parks in the western portion at Lovewell Lake SP or Prairie Dog SP. Both offer various hookup options if needed.

At St Francis KS, there's 2 options. Stay on US 36 to CO 71 and north to Brush, or take KS 27 north to Haigler NE where you can pick up US 34 and take that all the way in to Brush, Fort Morgan, Greeley and Loveland on the way to Estes Park.

Personally I prefer the 2nd option to go up to US 34, I've done that several times both directions.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.