cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Field tricks to remove inside dually wheel?

Bedlam
10 hrs waiting on emergency service for an inside DRW flat. What's the trick getting them free? I have the truck up on a 12-ton bottle jack and the outer removed. Inside is stuck to the hub even though it was off less than year ago.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD
20 REPLIES 20

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkirsch wrote:
Tire guy would have gone at it with a BFH and had it off in seconds.

Neverseez wouldn't have done anything here... There isn't a speck of rust within a mile of that truck!

Well I have only jacked around with that kind of snot for years. A hub-piloted wheel does not have much clearance, or studs break. The lube is not to prevent rust, but to allow metal to slide on metal. I think the bind somewhat to do with heat/cooling at different rates.

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
BIG dead blow hammer on the rim's outer edges may have done the job also.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Tire guy would have gone at it with a BFH and had it off in seconds.

Neverseez wouldn't have done anything here... There isn't a speck of rust within a mile of that truck!

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Bedlam
Well this is how I changed out a flat on an inner dual:

To free the inside rim took a little more persuasion but no hammers were involved.

So some blocks of wood that are normally used for leveling, a couple of spare ratchet straps, 12-ton bottle jack, electric impact wrench with 22mm socket, torque wrench with extension, claw hammer to remove hub cap and some time was required to get this 9-ton truck rolling again.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Wow Bedlam, my truck has never seen winter salt and never will, but the next time I have a chance I am going to pull the duals and put never seize on the hubs.

Doesn't help, at least not in my experience. I pulled the wheels off my 2003 at least 4 times a year to rotate tires and put on the snows. Every time I pulled the wheels I had to beat them off with a sledge, and every time before I put them back on I would wire wheel the rust off the brake disc and paint it with gray neverseize.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
blt2ski wrote:
I had some Budd inner studs rust up on my navastar. Hitting them with a hammer, anti rust loosener spray stuff over 3-4 days. A 1500 lb 3/4" impact wrench" broke some free. Me standing on a 6' bar on a 3/4" breaker bar did a few also. Along with loosening them up so impact worked.
Had not had to take rims off in 10 or so years.
PITA! New brakes all around....happy camper.
I've not had inner run stuck on any of the three duallies I've had.

Marty

LOL. First time my first truck with Budd wheels needed brakes I Richarded around with 3/4 impact and long bars for couple hours. Then I loaded all the brake spring tools, parts and cooler full of beer, showed up at tire shop just before closing time. Before next time I had long anvil inch drive just like they used.

Back in the early days of wheels made out of that metal I can't say or spell they called for a hard layer between them and the steel wheel to reduce corrosion. Now often the hub and wheel are not the same material. And it is not just a dual wheel issue.

blt2ski
I had some Budd inner studs rust up on my navastar. Hitting them with a hammer, anti rust loosener spray stuff over 3-4 days. A 1500 lb 3/4" impact wrench" broke some free. Me standing on a 6' bar on a 3/4" breaker bar did a few also. Along with loosening them up so impact worked.
Had not had to take rims off in 10 or so years.
PITA! New brakes all around....happy camper.
I've not had inner run stuck on any of the three duallies I've had.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Fisherman
Explorer
Explorer
And while you're anti seizing your wheels, don't forget to lube the spare tire crank and mechanism.

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
An old mechanics trick is to place a brick or even a stone under the inside edge of the tire a few inches in. Then lower the jack slowly and the off center load will frequently free it up. If it doesn't work the first time then rotate the wheel 180 degrees and try again.
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
JRscooby wrote:
Glad you solved the problem. Are you open to suggestions? Pull all the wheels, and put anti-seize on all the hubs to reduce future problems.

Bingo! Spot on. In my garage that stuff is like Franks Red Hots. I put that sh__on everything!
(Except where loctite is actually required.)

@Bedlam, canโ€™t believe 1 year here stuck the rim to the hub. Iโ€™d also put a little no stick um on the rim mating faces to prevent future occurrence.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Geo*Boy wrote:
Wow Bedlam, my truck has never seen winter salt and never will, but the next time I have a chance I am going to pull the duals and put never seize on the hubs.

Front too

Geo_Boy
Explorer II
Explorer II

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Glad you solved the problem. Are you open to suggestions? Pull all the wheels, and put anti-seize on all the hubs to reduce future problems.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Iโ€™m interested in those pictures, Bedlam. Never encountered this issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad