Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Why do I need a W/D or sway control
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Why do I need a W/D or sway control

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev
time2roll

Southern California

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/04/22 12:00pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

PButler96 wrote:

On an F350? I don't have an F-350 but know for a fact that the OEM 2-1/2" receiver hitches on GM 2500 and 3500s since at least 2012 are rated 2000 lbs weight carrying OR weight distributing, with a 20K lb max capacity. I find it hard to believe a Ford F-350 would have some low rated candyass arrangement for an OEM hitch that would require reading posts as long as War and Peace on some board before hooking up a log splitter.
OK and I have seen some with higher ratings with WDH. The OP can go out and verify the rating is adequate without WDH.

Your method works too. The OP was asking for some assurance, not an assumption.

2001 F150 SuperCrew
2006 Keystone Springdale 249FWBHLS
675w Solar pictures back up

JIMNLIN

Oklahoma

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/22 12:17pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

BackOfThePack wrote:

Except I can continue down the roads in winds where you’d have to pull over. Same truck, Jimnlin. Can do maneuvers in which you’d roll. It ain’t about skill.

It’s the side load. Winds, suspensions, and hitch and how they effect the vehicle dynamic.

Weight matters little. I’ve seen 1800-lb trailed compressors take DRWs off the pavement.

Why would I have to pull over??
I Never said anything about skill.

My point and post was about all truck/trailer combos can handle differently depending on even more conditions than you mention

And driver expectations (handling) can be different.

"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Mike134

Elgin, IL

View Profile

Posted: 07/04/22 12:35pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

MitchF150 wrote:

So, to sum it up for ya... You have the "Doom and Gloom" group and the "Macho" group..

Now, you just have to decide where you want to be and go from there...

Easy peeasy... [emoticon]

Your worst day can be the moment you leave your house any day of the week, right?

Like I said on page 1... Do what lets you sleep at night and all will be good.. [emoticon]

Mitch

I posted that the advice you get here is no better than from the campground bar, apparently a moderator took offense to my spot-on opinion and deleted it.

2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

mkirsch

Rochester, NY

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 10:27am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Just because certain types of trailer don't typically use WDH, that does not mean it would be beneficial.

Last Saturday I had to be rescued 150 miles from home when my Silverado 1500 daily driver broke down again. A friend brought me my 2002 Silverado 3500 DRW and flat deck trailer.

The 1500 is the exact same length as the flat portion of the trailer so there wasn't much room to move it to balance the load, so it came out pretty tongue heavy. Of course the rear didn't go down but the front came up. Honestly it was a little floaty and I would have had to run pretty slow if the roads were wet.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

BarneyS

S.E. Lower Michigan

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 12:22pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Mike134 wrote:

I posted that the advice you get here is no better than from the campground bar, apparently a moderator took offense to my spot-on opinion and deleted it.

It was taken out for being off topic. You said nothing about what was being discussed. Instead, you just posted a link to a video. We are not talking about nuclear explosions here.
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD

Grit dog

Black Diamond, WA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 11:38pm Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

First, to step back, OP is pulling a 1/2 ton towable trailer with a 1 ton.
Second, this isn’t about macho, it’s aboot those who can’t even conceptualize what a new - ton does handling a med size trailer like the OPs, except for some reason they need to express their fear of the unknown.

2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Prev

Open Roads Forum  >  Towing

> Why do I need a W/D or sway control
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Towing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.