cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Solar power cart v2.0

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
So almost 2 years ago, I built a solar power station on a folding aluminum hand truck. With 2-125 AH AGM batteries, 400 watts of rigid solar panels, and a 2,000 watt pure sine wave inverter, the whole business weighs about 250 lbs and provides up to 125 AH (1500 watt-hours) of power which is replenished daily on good days.

I'm now building v2.0, which features a 300 AH LiFePO4 battery, 2,000 watt PSW inverter, and 500 watts of flexible solar panels. It will weigh in under 100 lbs, hand truck included.

I put them both on hand trucks to facilitate moving them around. We don't full-time in the RV, but we do experience power outages at the sticks 'n' bricks. Twice this last week, btw. It sure is nice to be able to still have power where we need it even when the other 471 AEP customers who seem to go out with us go dark.

That 300 AH LiFePO4 battery cost only $1079 (plus, of course, tax). This is about what 100 AH lithium batteries cost just 2 years ago when I built v1.0. So I'm here to tell y'all that not everything is suffering the throes of inflation.
3 REPLIES 3

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Naturist, I dont live far from you,,, Buffalo Junction Va, I put 325 watts of solar on my RV, and used it several times last year to power my sticks and bricks fridge and my CPAP. Just needed an extension cord from the secondary 3000 watt inverter I use when I need house power. I dont have to use carts or dolly's, I just position the RV where it gets good sun and run a cord. In the rv there is a built in 400 watt inverter for its use when needed.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Warranty on flexible panels is usually short.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
The only reliable flexible panels were made in the past by Uni-Solar. Unfortunately the company shut down.

I'd want to speak to owners before I went flexible.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.