Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best route

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
Hey guys.

We are traveling to Gillette, WY next week for the National High School rodeo finals.

Looking at going through Amarillo, TX or Wichita, KS, from Dallas.

Any suggestions of the best direction?

Thanks,

Skip
KillingTime
8 REPLIES 8

wjschill
Explorer
Explorer
OP here.

Thanks for all the info.

A special thanks to Thom02099 for the construction information. I don't like going through the narrow lanes with our MH.

Great site.

Thanks again,

Skip
KillingTime

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Good suggestions for you. Something to be aware of, there is a massive construction project going on for I-25 between the Berthoud exit (CO 56/Exit 250) and north of the Loveland exit (US 34/Exit 257) with narrowing lanes, lane shifts and huge periodic backups in both directions. This is all north of Denver. Was just in Denver yesterday, all of the construction projects from downtown north to Berthoud are all completed so no problems there.

A suggestion to miss Denver and the construction would be to stay on US 287 up to Limon CO where you can take CO 71 north all the way into Nebraska (stays as 71 except NE 71) where you can get on I-80 and take that west to I-25 in Cheyenne. Very easy drive, CO 71 is a good roadway but no fuel stops between Limon and Brush CO.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with Padredw. That's our route
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

southernsky
Explorer
Explorer
What padredw and LouLawrence said. Been that way many times too
2022 Renegade Super C
2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 Sport

LouLawrence
Explorer
Explorer
The above is the best route IMHO and one I have taken many times.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Starting from Dallas, I would get as quickly as possible to US 287 all the way to Amarillo. I have made that route so many times I almost know every curve and bump! (Though I pick it up at Henrietta not in Dallas).

Especially at this time of year I would go through Dalhart to US 87 to Raton, NM where I would pick up I-25 North all the way to WY 59 to Gillette.

I prefer this Western route because it is more interesting (and cooler) than to alternative through Oklahoma and Kansas.

dedmiston
Denver to Cheyenne to Gillette is a good drive. Very pretty and nothing crazy. Lots of good places to eat in Cheyenne too.

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch • 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") • <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Though Denver will be a little shorter, a little cooler and more grades.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/