cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Duty Backup Assist - Fifth Wheel

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
Found this interesting a Super Duty utilizing the Back Up assist feature on a fifth wheel. There's a couple in a camping group that use this feature and swear by it. Go to 7:35 for the action.

Enjoy...

Link
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"
32 REPLIES 32

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Ford employee here... I trialed this system on a trailer before it was ever offered to customers. I struggled to make it work, and they asked I back up through a slalom course without it and I nailed it.

Fast forward, I ordered it on my F350, and still can't make it work 🙂 I also struggled a bit moving from TT to 5th wheel, but pretty much have it down after a few times backing up. I'm going to let my wife try it without my commentary, to see if it helps her.

I'm sure it works great, but with my experience, don't really need it.

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
^^^^ Seems as though for a lot of guys using a back up nanny is kind of like asking for directions.
2023 F350 SRW Platinum short box 4x4.
B&W Companion
2008 Citation Platinum XL 34.5

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
Many RVers are able to back up a trailer half decent. The first time or two a person uses the Pro Trailer Backup assist he's probably not going to do any better than he could manually, but, with a bit of practice using the system my guess is most drivers would get to the point of being excellent at backing up a trailer (if not excellent at least better than they could manually).

My guess is it will be more useful for the guy who backs a trailer 3-4 times per year.

For those who back regularly, I'm sure most could learn to use the system but they also have learned to back a trailer manually. It's just a different way.

When we are on the move and backing regularly, I get pretty darn good. It's when I haven't backed for a few months, that I have to slow down and think...I expect this system will present the same issue.

From the sounds of it my son will never use it , but as said he's good enough does not need any assist .

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
4x4ord wrote:
Many RVers are able to back up a trailer half decent. The first time or two a person uses the Pro Trailer Backup assist he's probably not going to do any better than he could manually, but, with a bit of practice using the system my guess is most drivers would get to the point of being excellent at backing up a trailer (if not excellent at least better than they could manually).

My guess is it will be more useful for the guy who backs a trailer 3-4 times per year.

For those who back regularly, I'm sure most could learn to use the system but they also have learned to back a trailer manually. It's just a different way.

When we are on the move and backing regularly, I get pretty darn good. It's when I haven't backed for a few months, that I have to slow down and think...I expect this system will present the same issue.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
B&W Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
In the video they show a device that is bolted to the fifth wheel and plugs into a receptacle in the bed.

My son has this setup on his 2022 Superduty , not sure if he's used it on his new fifth wheel, he will be here in Montana with us tomorrow , will have to see if he's used it .

Report back if he tried it and if he like's it or not.

Doesn't care for it at all, tried it once ,something about it doesn't see all the fifth wheel. Prefers just backing it like most of us do .

???! I think he must be talking about watching the camera display as opposed to using his mirrors? The pro trailer back up assist with the angle sensor on the fifth wheel doesn’t really have anything to do with cameras or the display. He should use the mirrors.

Not sure what he meant ,he left Montana this morning for home . Just sounded more like he liked his mirrors ,and backing it the conventional way . This is his first fifth wheel ,but he's has boats ,and trailers ,and he does a good job . I was with him when he brought it home ,and its a tight fit between fence ,and house on his RV pad .

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Here is how this is going to work: Within like 5 years or so this and more features are going to a subscription service. Many car makers are already starting pay to play and this will be one of them.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
In the video they show a device that is bolted to the fifth wheel and plugs into a receptacle in the bed.

My son has this setup on his 2022 Superduty , not sure if he's used it on his new fifth wheel, he will be here in Montana with us tomorrow , will have to see if he's used it .

Doesn't care for it at all, tried it once ,something about it doesn't see all the fifth wheel. Prefers just backing it like most of us do .

Hey cummins2014... Thanks for the feedback
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

???! I think he must be talking about watching the camera display as opposed to using his mirrors? The pro trailer back up assist with the angle sensor on the fifth wheel doesn’t really have anything to do with cameras or the display. He should use the mirrors.
B&W Companion

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
well, just my $0.02

IF I grew up playing video games instead of driving a big rig up and down the East Coast, perhaps I would want to try it. It does seam to me that it is geared more towards the folks who are NEW at RV'ing, then old crusty guys like some of US here.

Now, my son in law on the other hand will use it if he ever sets his up... Right now he is backing up using his trailer mounted back up camera and staring at his phone 6" from his face ... totally oblivious to his trucks surroundings... :E

I look at it to be like everything else RV related... either YOU like it you YOU do not.... kind of like slide toppers, dual pane windows, tilt down steps, ect..............

Well he grew up with all that stuff , neither one of my sons were gamers now 45 , and 50 they seem old school to me as far as a lot of this stuff goes .,They both do a good job of backing old school 🙂

well, just my $0.02

IF I grew up playing video games instead of driving a big rig up and down the East Coast, perhaps I would want to try it. It does seam to me that it is geared more towards the folks who are NEW at RV'ing, then old crusty guys like some of US here.

Now, my son in law on the other hand will use it if he ever sets his up... Right now he is backing up using his trailer mounted back up camera and staring at his phone 6" from his face ... totally oblivious to his trucks surroundings... :E

I look at it to be like everything else RV related... either YOU like it you YOU do not.... kind of like slide toppers, dual pane windows, tilt down steps, ect..............
Me-Her-the kids
2020 Ford F350 SD 6.7
2020 Redwood 3991RD Garnet

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:
cummins2014 wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

4x4ord
Explorer III
Explorer III
Me Again wrote:
I find the system a little to sensitive and it spends a lot of time spinning the steering wheel around like a top. I have not dug into it to see if it can be calmed down a little. It was on the lot truck I purchased. If ordering a new truck I do not think I would spend the extra for it.

I do really like the 360 cameras, adaptive cruise, 12" center stack screen, "take me to XYZ Nav" and other Ford features.

Wish it had power fold mirrors.

It’s a matter of getting use to it ….. you don’t turn the little knob as though it’s a steering wheel. Instead you turn the knob to tell the computer where you want the trailer to go. So if I’m wanting to back the trailer off to the right I’ll turn the nob to the right and hold it there ….. the truck wheels will turn left then straighten out then turn right …. while I hold the knob to the right. If I try steering with the knob the computer thinks I’m confused and starts spinning the steering wheel all over the place.
B&W Companion

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I find the system a little to sensitive and it spends a lot of time spinning the steering wheel around like a top. I have not dug into it to see if it can be calmed down a little. It was on the lot truck I purchased. If ordering a new truck I do not think I would spend the extra for it.

I do really like the 360 cameras, adaptive cruise, 12" center stack screen, "take me to XYZ Nav" and other Ford features.

Wish it had power fold mirrors.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021