cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Breaker issues

Tuckerman52
Explorer
Explorer
Good evening I am new to this I have a 1999 35 ft newmar Dutch star with a Ford Triton V8 have twin AC roof mount and my problem is I purchased a standalone portable air conditioner that pulls only 10 amps according to the label and as a regular three prong plug-in and every time I plug it in to the motorhome when I am on shore power now that is I have only access right now to a regular outlet in my carport regular 110 and when I plug the portable AC into the motorhome anywhere in it it then throws the breaker in my panel now I have 2 50amp main breakers and three sets of 20 amp 15 amp breakers besides that. I have made sure nothing else is running it's a 12,000 BTU portable AC and like I said it says it only pulls 10 amps if I plug it directly into the house and not into a socket in the RV then it will run fine I'm wondering if I possibly have two smaller cord running from the house to the motorhome but besides that I plugged my motorhome into itself fired up the generator which is an Onan 5500 and put one of the rooftop ACs on and as soon as I plugged in and turned on the portable AC it killed the generator which doesn't make any sense just looking for some help I'm going to talk to an electrician friend if I can tomorrow anybody have any ideas thank you and it much in advance for help
11 REPLIES 11

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP FYI I've run a 15.5A A/C in my MH with: 30' of 50A wire inside the MH, 25' 50A cord and 75' 30A cord. Source voltage was good and about 112V in the MH at my sons house.

After upgrading his house to 50A I can run everything with 30'+100' of 50A cord. If you are not aware a 50A RV plug is 120/240V and results is 2x 120V circuits of 50A each or 100A total.

Heavy extensions and RV plug might be a option?
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hopefull the OP will provide more info.

I'm not even sure a portable A/C is practical unless it's vented outside.

Bob

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
CA Traveler wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
OP, RU2 home? If so, first step is plug the AC N2 house. If that does not trip house breaker, look at RV.

/
What? I can not even follow that!
As stated in his post it's a portable A/C that is OK in the house.

Other loads in the RV and excessibe voltage drop due to the extension cord and possible garage circuit.

Sorry, I gave up following the OP, thought maybe I would throw another code in there.

If AC works when plugged into home outlet, but trips a breaker in RV, look at what else looses power at trip. Add the loads to AC, compare to size of breaker.

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
OP With a 30A RV plug and 30A extensions you might be able to run the portable A/C.

HOWEVER, Consider installing a 50A plug.

Bob

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
dodge guy wrote:
JRscooby wrote:
OP, RU2 home? If so, first step is plug the AC N2 house. If that does not trip house breaker, look at RV.

/
As stated in his post it's a portable A/C that is OK in the house.

Other loads in the RV and excessibe voltage drop due to the extension cord and possible garage circuit.

Bob

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
First the 10 amps is running. might be much higher starting but... The breaker should allow that (Short time delay).

Second if you plug the A/C into the RV's outlet and plug the R/V into the carport.. there are other thigns in the RV.. a Progressive Dynamics 9180 with wizard can easily suck 10 (or more) amps if the batteries are Hungry. The Fridge may also be auto switching to A/C (about 3 amps) .
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Extension cord needs to be as short as possible, 10 gauge wire and plugged into a dedicated 20A garage plug, not into a common multidrop regular plug.

Are you sure everything is off - hot water, refer, charger, etc?

Best to install at least a 30A RV plug if not a 50A RV plug.

Bob

MountainAir05
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just run a 120 volt extension cord from house to Rv. Now plug the one AC into it and if it blows the breaker you know that the AC has an issue. Keep it simple Unplug all other cords.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
The breaker in your panel, is in the house or the rig?
If in the rig, start by checking your shore power cord adapter.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker