cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New Travel Trailer

samsontdog
Explorer
Explorer
HELP My daughter and S I Law recently retired and are looking at new TTs. They found a 2022 29 ft, 2 BR, 7,000 pounds, fully loaded. Forest River brand. He has a diesel short bed. half ton. The price is just over $45K. WOW !! They put a deposit on it and then called me. I have towed thousands of miles, 5th w, TT, Pop Up, you name it in the last 62 yrs. I think it's too much money for the TT, not enough truck to tow it or breaks to stop it. Tell me what you think and I will forward the comments to them. I know what you will say I think Help me out. Also, he has never towed anything other than her Toyota on a trailer from New York to Calf and little cargo trailers
samsontdog:o:W
31 REPLIES 31

TravelinDog
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
Aaaaand we're well on our way to another chicken little payload discussion!
WoooHooo!

It didn't take long for the payload police to show up on the scene.;)
Just say no to the payload police :C

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
TurnThePage wrote:
I thought the OP said 7000 lbs loaded.

Interestingly, my Ram 1500 with coils springs tows my 6500 lb trailer absolutely rock solid. I don't even know what the relationship between coil springs and white knuckles is all about. I call BS.

There's a couple on youtube that fulltimes in their 7000 lb Grand Design that's pulled by diesel Ram half ton. They've towed coast to coast with no problems for about 5 years now.

I'll see your BS call and raise you an internet forum hogwash, of which there is no shortage.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I thought the OP said 7000 lbs loaded.

Interestingly, my Ram 1500 with coils springs tows my 6500 lb trailer absolutely rock solid. I don't even know what the relationship between coil springs and white knuckles is all about. I call BS.

There's a couple on youtube that fulltimes in their 7000 lb Grand Design that's pulled by diesel Ram half ton. They've towed coast to coast with no problems for about 5 years now.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

afidel
Explorer II
Explorer II
belairbrian wrote:
29ft and 7000 lbs has to be a dry weight. Even a 29ft ultralight is going to be close to that. We picked up our new "ultra light" 19ft today and it's 4400 dry.

My 34' trailer is 6k dry, a 29' trailer could easily be 5k dry and 7k gvwr. Forest River Grey Wolf 23DBH for example, 29' 3", 5,380 dry and 7,621 GVWR.
2019 Dutchman Kodiak 293RLSL
2015 GMC 1500 Sierra 4x4 5.3 3.42 full bed
Equalizer 10k WDH

StirCrazy
Nomad III
Nomad III
belairbrian wrote:
29ft and 7000 lbs has to be a dry weight. Even a 29ft ultralight is going to be close to that. We picked up our new "ultra light" 19ft today and it's 4400 dry.

no thats about right for these days, 16 years ago I bought my 28 foot wave and it was just over 5000 empty and 7200 loaded. I had a 1998 f150 with the 4.6 in it at the time and ony did one trip then bought a diesel. the trailer was with in the 7400 capacity but it towed like **** with that engine in the big hills.
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

belairbrian
Explorer
Explorer
TV 2007 Chevy 2500 Long Box Vortec 8.1/Allison or 2016 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L 4x4
2022 Freedom Express 192RBS
Equalizer 4 way WDH, Prodigy 3 BC
USAF Retired
WAR EAGLE

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
A 7000 lb TT ?? is that 7000 lb dry or a gvwr ??

A 1/2 ton diesel pickup ? What the trucks brand/specs (gvwr/rawr/tow rating/gear ratio/which tranny/etc ??

Not knowing any more than that a informed decision can't be made other than wild assumptions.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

LITEPHIL
Explorer
Explorer
Lots of variables there. A strong 1/2 ton would have no problem with 7,000 lbs. I tow 7,500 with my half ton but it has the NHT tow option with the 3.0 Duramx but 7,000 lbs is pretty light for a 29 ft trailer. I would suspect it has at least one slide and fully loaded at 7,000 lbs seems light. Is that the trailer GVW ?
2022 Chevy Silverado RST Duramax NHT
1954 Chevy 3100 Carryall 4x4
2008 Salem T23FBL
04 FXDL Harley

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
If it is a Ram 1500, the payloads on them are real low for a 1/2 ton, and they are coil spring, and ride good, but not great for towing.
My buddy had one, and was towing about that size, and it was a white knuckle ride the whole time even with a good W/D sway control hitch.

You'd think a 1/2ton would handle it, but they make the suspension to soft, to give it a good ride.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
PButler96 wrote:
What do you guys recommend? lol.

Bigfoot
Escape
Outdoors RV
Arctic Fox

Or, if you're feeling spendy - Oliver

(If you can live with their tiny size, Casita also makes an excellent trailer.)

cptqueeg
Explorer II
Explorer II
samsontdog wrote:
HELP My daughter and S I Law recently retired and are looking at new TTs. They found a 2022 29 ft, 2 BR, 7,000 pounds, fully loaded. Forest River brand. He has a diesel short bed. half ton. The price is just over $45K. WOW !! They put a deposit on it and then called me. I have towed thousands of miles, 5th w, TT, Pop Up, you name it in the last 62 yrs. I think it's too much money for the TT, not enough truck to tow it or breaks to stop it. Tell me what you think and I will forward the comments to them. I know what you will say I think Help me out. Also, he has never towed anything other than her Toyota on a trailer from New York to Calf and little cargo trailers

I would have them consider where and when they're going to camp before buying. IOW try pretend booking some campsites for a trip and see what's available. The idea that there's ton of places to camp at the most desirable times to go is wrong. The eyeopening may allow them to have a little more patience w the TT purchase or perhaps even reconsider the type of RV or even whether it's worth buying one to begin with.
2024 Chev 3500 CCLB Diesel
Four Wheel Camper Granby Shell

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
Skibane wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I don't know how anyone here could comment on the price, no one knows anything about the trailer.

Would you pay $45K for any Forest River trailer?

I wouldn't.
Well I'm not in the market for a TT so I wouldn't know what I'd be willing to pay.

But a 29-foot Coachmen Catalina (a Forest River Product) has a MSRP of $65,000 so $45,000 might be a great deal. Clicky

But once again, we know nothing about the trailer the OP is talking about, so I just don't feel I can speculate about the price. It might be a high end luxury model or a POS - who can say?

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
Skibane wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
I don't know how anyone here could comment on the price, no one knows anything about the trailer.

Would you pay $45K for any Forest River trailer?

I wouldn't.

Lwiddis wrote:
Well, Ski,โ€ฆ..I wouldnโ€™t. lol

What do you guys recommend? lol.
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Is that 7k lbs the dry weight or GVWR of the trailer? As for the priceโ€ฆโ€ฆthings have gone up drastically in the past year and a half. Not sure I would pay that much money with the current build quality. I would buy used no newer than 2019.
The other issue is the small diesel that will inevitably leave them stranded somewhere at the wrong time. Time for a 3/4 ton with a gas motor so they are never left stranded!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!