Good Sam Club Open Roads Forum: Beginning RVing: New Member, need your advice!
Open Roads Forum Already a member? Login here.   If not, Register Today!  |  Help

Newest  |  Active  |  Popular  |  RVing FAQ Forum Rules  |  Forum Posting Help and Support  |  Contact  

Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New Member, need your advice!

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next
BisdakYoda69

California

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 12:33am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Good day everyone! I just signed onto this site to educate myself and look into options.

I live in Texas but work 6 days in a row here in San Jose California and I fly back to Texas for the remainder of my eight days off. My current rent is $1500/month renting a room and I figure it would be worthwhile to invest that $1500/month on a RV, trailer, camper, or any mobile vehicle I could use as a temporary housing while I work my 6 days here in California.

Thus I am seeking advice and recommendations as to what is available out there. I would need a unit that has a kitchen, bathroom, shower, heating and cooling, fridge, power source, etc.

I currently drive a 2020 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4x4 that I do take on overlanding trips and I use a ground tent so I am not new to off the grid lifestyle.

Lets hear it guys! Thanks in advance!

theoldwizard1

SE MI

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 01:48am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

You have 2 issue trying to live "off grid". Power and water (fresh, grey and black).

Forget generating enough power from solar to live a comfortable life style. You don't have enough space for the solar panels even if you could afford them and the batteries. Running a generator is just not cost effective.

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 03:19am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Nowhere to live off grid unless you have a friend with room and hookups in SJ area. Check monthly prices and $800 would not surprise me, power might be extra. There some trailer parks near the SJ fairground, you might get lucky.

2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

Texas

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 05:00am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

I can't say where to park it but check out pplmotorhomes.com if shopping for used. They have 3 Texas locations, Houston being the largest

* This post was edited 07/05/22 05:10am by 2112 *

2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens, PullRite SuperGlide 2700 15K
2013 KZ Durango 2857

wanderingaimlessly

Buggs Island lake

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 05:44am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

$1500 a month now.
Then compare to purchase cost, site rental, insurance , etc and make a decision.
Remember you will be paying someone to park it for the eight days when you go back to Texas if that is still in the plan.
A quick check on RV Parky shows most campgrounds as being around $50 a night. If you can find one that seems ok.
12 nights = $600 per month
You may find one that will store the trailer the other nights, may be $15 a night.
16 nights = $240 per month
this leaves 2-3 nights per month of about $35 a night average cost depending on where the month falls in the weekly cycle.
You have about $600 a month left to work with before,,,,
Now figure purchase price, taxes, tags, insurance, etc.
And go look at some of these campgrounds/trailer parks that are $50 a night, and make your own determination on whether they are places you want to live.
Happy motorin

way2roll

Wilmington NC

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 07:06am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

A few thoughts/questions. What type of RV do you want? There are all kinds from pop ups to large diesel pushers. No one can tell you what kind of RV you want. Just start shopping around. How much do you want to spend? Where will you put it? Will you have full hookups (water, electric, sewer)? Where will you title it? You could run into snags with residency since you're in CA almost 50% of the time. Will you drive it back and forth or keep it in CA full time?

I think you will find that by the time you buy an RV, find a place to put it, pay for hookups (you'll need them), you'll probably spend more than the $1500 you are spending now. There's also the fact that RV's are a depreciating asset and require continual maintenance. Not to turn you off on the idea, but there are a lot of factors.

2020 F350 STX 6.7L Turbo Diesel
2020 FR Cedar Creek Silverback 29rw

CA Traveler

The Western States

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 09:53am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Considerations: Cost of RV (expect a loss when sold), maintenance cost, insurance, cost of summer A/C or winter electric/propane for your 6 days. Expect 17-25 cents/kWh electric. Can you tow a trailer in SJ or do you plan on permanent place? A MH will be even more expensive. Commute cost if you are some distance away (likely I'd guess). Any savings like food?

Check trailer parks on Old Oakland Rd.

Birdnst

Poquoson

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 10:01am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Thus I am seeking advice and recommendations as to what is available out there. I would need a unit that has a kitchen, bathroom, shower, heating and cooling, fridge, power source, etc.

Not looking for off grid.
Just need something small that you could also move easily if you wanted someplace different or to explore.

If you cannot take good care of what you have, you will not have anything good for very long!!!

Alan_Hepburn

San Jose, Ca, USA

View Profile

Posted: 07/05/22 10:42am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

The RV Park at the Fairgrounds is pretty much a dump, in a sketchy area of the city. I don't know of any trailer parks that do short-term RV parking. For RV parks you need to go south to Morgan Hill and beyond, or over the hill to Pleasanton and beyond.

----------------------------------------------
Alan & Sandy Hepburn driving a 2007 Fleetwood Bounder 35E on a Workhorse chassis - Proud to be a Blue Star Family!
Good Sam Member #566004

Lwiddis

Cambria, California area

View Profile

Good Sam RV Club Member

Posted: 07/05/22 10:50am Link  |  Quote  |  Print  |  Notify Moderator

Find a place to park your RV in a metro area near your work before you buy an RV.

Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2020 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Reply to Topic  |  Subscribe  |  Print Topic  |  Post New Topic  | 
Page of 4  
Next

Open Roads Forum  >  Beginning RVing

> New Member, need your advice!
Search:   Advanced Search

Search only in Beginning RVing

Closed, new posts Closed, no new posts
Moved, new posts Moved, no new posts

Adjust text size:

© 2022 CWI, Inc. © 2022 Good Sam Enterprises, LLC. All Rights Reserved.