cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Where to store through winter without much snow?

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoy travelling in our truck camper but may need to take an extended break this coming winter to visit family living abroad. If we do, we will have to find a suitable place to store our camper, a venerable 1996 Lance Legend that we would prefer not to do in a location with a lot of snow, as we cannot afford indoor storage and want to look after the camper as well as it has looked after us.

We have had good experience in the past storing our camper in Phoenix and San Antonio but since then we have driven slowly north and plan to continue to explore northern USA and Canada in the coming months before winter chases us south again. Just now we explore Washington.

What we are trying to figure out is how far and where further south we should aim to be when the time comes for us to store our camper. That will depend on amount of snow, driving distance to get there, cost of monthly storage compared to other parts of the country, etc.

We figure we are not by a long shot the first to have this question, so would appreciate any advice or pointers about where to explore with this scenario in mind?
11 REPLIES 11

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm curious - why little or no snow?

If you're worried about leakage, throw a tarp over the whole camper.

I suppose some locations could have too big a snow load, but those are not common.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
When the airlines need to store a plane where it is warm and dry they often park it in Mojave, CA.

Last place I'd want to store an RV for any length of time without use is where the humidity can be high.

California, pretty much anywhere South of Redding would probably meet your needs for little snow and lower humidity. Cost? California can be expensive.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
windhorse wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
See below and decide:

https://snowbrains.com/map-of-average-annual-snowfall-in-contiguous-u-s/

Honestly, short of getting multiple feet on the roof, I don't think it matters much. Either the roof is properly sealed or rain will leak thru also.

At the moment the roof is properly sealed, we redid it ourselves two years ago, but unfortunately that does not guarantee it will stay properly sealed while we are away

Check it before putting her to bed for the winter. Rain or snow can result in water damage.

Whatever else that can be said about travelling like this it is certainly not boring. One favorite form of entertainment is sitting at the table in the dinette with spring rain pounding on the roof wondering if this is the day that a leak starts?

Fortunately for us that hasn't happened yet (-:

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
windhorse wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
See below and decide:

Honestly, short of getting multiple feet on the roof, I don't think it matters much. Either the roof is properly sealed or rain will leak thru also.

At the moment the roof is properly sealed, we redid it ourselves two years ago, but unfortunately that does not guarantee it will stay properly sealed while we are away

Check it before putting her to bed for the winter. Rain or snow can result in water damage.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
Memphis.

Thanks, will look more closely at this neck of the woods.

I take it you mean Memphis, Tennessee (not Memphis in Texas)?

CA_Traveler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Winterize and store at low elevations south of Las Vegas to NC line and you should be OK with limited snow.
2009 Holiday Rambler 42' Scepter with ISL 400 Cummins
750 Watts Solar Morningstar MPPT 60 Controller
2014 Grand Cherokee Overland

Bob

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
See below and decide:

windhorse
Explorer
Explorer
Trackrig wrote:
In your search for a place with little snow, don't store it in a place will lots of rain like eastern Oregon or Washington. We came back to an RV full of mold.

Bill

We had thought about the risk of water damage - but not of mold, so thanks for mentioning this

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
In your search for a place with little snow, don't store it in a place will lots of rain like eastern Oregon or Washington. We came back to an RV full of mold.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
See below and decide:

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
we live in metro Chicago and most years we head to AZ in early January. our experience has shown us that by the time we get to Memphis the odds of snow or even freezing temps is low. we usually de-winterize the water system in Memphis.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle