Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Temp Reg. Question Buying from out of state in California

chill66
Explorer
Explorer
Good day everyone,

I am new to the RV Forum and I am in the process of buying a Class B RV from a couple in San Diego. I am going to fly out and drive it back across country to New Jersey. My question is what is the easiest way for me to get temp plates in California to travel back across country? Ultimately I will register this in New Jersey. I have seen TOP permits in CA. is that what I need? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I donโ€™t want to be in California for 2-3 days trying to navigate DMV being from out of state. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank You,
chris
18 REPLIES 18

ol_Bombero-JC
Explorer
Explorer
dedmiston wrote:
chill66 wrote:
Here is my solution. I did not know that in California plates stay with the vehicle and once you sign the title you absolve the old owner of all responsibility. I will use the plates on the current Class B RV and drive it home. I will insure it before I leave. My reluctance and concern was that the owner would remove the plates after the sale to return to DMV as that is how we do it here in NJ.

I didn't want to drive across the country without plates. I know in NJ They would pull me over and impound the vehicle immediately.

That's correct. Hopefully the seller's tags are up to date.

There's a portion of the CA title that you sign and leave with the seller. They can go straight to the CA DMV website and record the sale with all of your info to protect their liability. And you'll have the signed title that protects your ownership.

Have the owner email you a photo of the title in advance so you can have a look first. Make sure there isn't a lienholder and make sure there aren't any other complications. For example, a CA title can list the husband OR the wife, but then your state might require both of their signatures, so make sure both of them sign and date it.

Other than that, your plate with the current tags plus your signed title and proof of insurance are all you need to get across the country. (Make sure you deal with the insurance before you hit the road.)

Good (and correct) information!

BTW - sales tax in California is collected when:
A *new* vehicle is purchased. If a *new* vehicle is leaving the state, usually the buyer and seller meet in AZ or NV to complete the purchase. (Yes, that's legal).

For a *previously owned* vehicle -from a private party- CA sales tax would be charged when the new owner goes to the CA DMV to register it. A smog inspection would be required.
Note: A previously owned vehicle being purchased from a *dealer*:
Expect the dealer is required to charge CA sales tax. Use the "work-around" above.......and/or check with your home state how it is handled.

BTW - the CA plates stay with the vehicle - which may -or may not-
be "collected by the state where the new registration takes place, along with sales tax (if any) and registration fees.

Lastly - there are private vehicle registration companies, which are authorized to complete registration (etc.) in CA.
Most will answer questions w/o charging a fee for same.
**In many/most instances they are more knowledgeable than many AAA
offices - with more complicated registration, etc.

It's really not as difficult as it seems...:W

dedmiston
chill66 wrote:
Here is my solution. I did not know that in California plates stay with the vehicle and once you sign the title you absolve the old owner of all responsibility. I will use the plates on the current Class B RV and drive it home. I will insure it before I leave. My reluctance and concern was that the owner would remove the plates after the sale to return to DMV as that is how we do it here in NJ.

I didn't want to drive across the country without plates. I know in NJ They would pull me over and impound the vehicle immediately.

That's correct. Hopefully the seller's tags are up to date.

There's a portion of the CA title that you sign and leave with the seller. They can go straight to the CA DMV website and record the sale with all of your info to protect their liability. And you'll have the signed title that protects your ownership.

Have the owner email you a photo of the title in advance so you can have a look first. Make sure there isn't a lienholder and make sure there aren't any other complications. For example, a CA title can list the husband OR the wife, but then your state might require both of their signatures, so make sure both of them sign and date it.

Other than that, your plate with the current tags plus your signed title and proof of insurance are all you need to get across the country. (Make sure you deal with the insurance before you hit the road.)

2014 RAM 3500 Diesel 4x4 Dually long bed. B&W RVK3600 hitch โ€ข 2015 Crossroads Elevation Homestead Toy Hauler ("The Taj Mahauler") โ€ข <\br >Toys:

• 18 Can Am Maverick x3
  • 05 Yamaha WR450
  • 07 Honda CRF250X
  • 05 Honda CRF230
  • 06 Honda CRF230

toedtoes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yes, in California, the plates areassigned to the vehicle not the owner. So if you buy a vehicle in California, it will have plates for you to drive it legally.

Also, remember that AAA, as well as other businesses, are authorized to handle many DMV registrations. So the need to go into an actual DMV office is eliminated.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

chill66
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
Chill I understand your reluctance to do something devious but I did just that from CA to FL, from Chicago to Dallas, and Nashville to Baltimore + several shorter trips. Never had a problem. Like I said as often as this situation comes up States need to step up and do something about it

Cptnvideo
Nomad
Nomad
OP, I would look into meeting in Yuma, AZ and completing the transaction there.
Maybe not possible, but it wouldn't hurt to look into it.
Bill & Linda, 2019 Ram Laramie 3500 dually 4x4 diesel, Hensley BD5 hitch, 2022 Grand Design Solitude 378MBS, 1600 watts solar, Victron 150/100 MPPT controller, GoPower 3kw inverter/charger, 5 SOK 206AH LFP batteries for 1030 ah

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Chill I understand your reluctance to do something devious but I did just that from CA to FL, from Chicago to Dallas, and Nashville to Baltimore + several shorter trips. Never had a problem. Like I said as often as this situation comes up States need to step up and do something about it

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
FrayJo wrote:
Cptnvideo wrote:
We bought 2 new motorhomes in Auburn, CA. The dealer drove said motorhomes to Nevada where the sale was completed using a Nevada Notary. Then drove motorhomes to Arizona without plates - never got stopped.

The same for me

Great storyโ€ฆ but not applicable so much to someone driving back cross country.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Itakethe5th2011
Explorer
Explorer
California will charge you all kinds of fees. If tags are due you may have to pay that. Smog check needed, you will have to have that done. They will definitely charge you sell tax. If it were me, I would leave the California plates on it and drive it back to your home. Save yourself a lot of money and headache.

fyrflie
Explorer III
Explorer III
This may be what your looking for.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/vehicle-registration/license-plates-decals-and-placards/temporary-operating-permits/

One-Trip Permit
In lieu of California registration, you can get a one trip permit (for a fee) to move a vehicle: Show Citation 11

When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most direct route).
For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.
A one trip permit is also valid for a nonresident:

To move a newly purchased trailer coach into California.
Member of the armed forces to move an unregistered trailer coach they own into, out of, or within California.
A one trip permit cannot be used to move a crane or trailer coach owned by a California resident.

Blank one trip permits may be purchased in volume from any DMV office.

Issuing a one trip permit doesnโ€™t affect California tax requirements. For sales and use tax information, contact the Board of Equalization (BOE) at www.boe.ca.gov or 1-800-400-7115.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Current California DMV Temporary Registration info

Believe this is what you're looking for Chill. Note the temporary trip registration has no relationship to California Use & Sales taxes. Another can of worms...........

Only thing to add is you will likely need a DMV office appointment to take care of everything. I did 14 years ago and that was before Covid was invented.

chill66
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have had to drive one home without tags several times. You would think as often as this situation happens states would address it in some way.

Unfortunately not all states allow you to drive without tags along my journey to the east cost. I will need to get plates in California and I do not know how to navigate that process.

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I have had to drive one home without tags several times. You would think as often as this situation happens states would address it in some way.

California did in my situation...... and how! :B
Forward thinking folks, guess they wanted to make sure I didn't get popped for no tag on my trip home. ๐Ÿ˜›

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III

FrayJo
Explorer
Explorer
Cptnvideo wrote:
We bought 2 new motorhomes in Auburn, CA. The dealer drove said motorhomes to Nevada where the sale was completed using a Nevada Notary. Then drove motorhomes to Arizona without plates - never got stopped.

The same for me