cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two tires: A tough decsion

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday we returned from our most recent trip, and seven miles into the trip ... kapow! Blowout. 😞

I'm at the point where I want to get fresh tires all the way around before our long trip at the end of the month, but I can't quite decide which tires I should get.

The trailer's GVWR is 7660. The tires are 205/75R14.

The original tires are Kendo Karriers, rated to 2200 pounds at 75 psi.

It seems like the big favorite around these parts is the Goodyear Endurance, but they're rated at 2040 pounds at 65 psi.

Both are load range D, both are 8-ply, so it seems the most significant difference comes down to the load capacity.

Pros and Cons:
* Pro for Karrier: Higher load capacity.
* Pro for Endurance: Seems to be a favorite of many.
* Con for Karrier: I've alraedy replaced two prior to yesterday's blowout. Confidence in Karrier is declining.
* Con for Endurance: I'm giving up some load capacity if I replace all four.

So ... do I get the "better" tire and sacrifice some carrying capacity?

Or, any other tire suggestions? (etrailer.com shows Westlake as another option, which I've never heard of.)

Dave Hultin
----------
2019 Ford Expedition Max, 2018 Gulfstream Cabin Cruiser 28BBS
14 REPLIES 14

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the Goodyear Endurance. I did some sleuthing around online and I was slightly surprised to find the best deal was Walmart!

Tires from Walmart? I was a little nervous that I'd get something that was deep into the "old tire" pile. But I was thrilled to see that the date stamp on the tire shows they're fresh! They came to life in the 20th week of 2022!

I'm getting them installed next week, repacking the bearings while I'm at it, and then back to our regularly scheduled camping trips without missing a beat! (As long as the repair schedule agrees!)

Dave Hultin
----------

98coachman
Explorer
Explorer
Had the Carlisle hd's on mine, loved them. I stepped up a size and went with load range e's, never had a problem with them. Good luck on your decision!

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
The Carlisle HDs are one of the best out there right now. Had them on our TT. I would go with the load range E if they are available in your size.

When I started towing I though Carlisle was a swear word when talking about tires. Have things changed?

Yes they have! They really stepped it up and make some of the best trailer tires on the road. They are now stronger and have a speed rating of 81mph!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
davehultin wrote:
Yesterday we returned from our most recent trip, and seven miles into the trip ... kapow! Blowout. 😞

I'm at the point where I want to get fresh tires all the way around before our long trip at the end of the month, but I can't quite decide which tires I should get.

The trailer's GVWR is 7660. The tires are 205/75R14.

The original tires are Kendo Karriers, rated to 2200 pounds at 75 psi.

It seems like the big favorite around these parts is the Goodyear Endurance, but they're rated at 2040 pounds at 65 psi.

Both are load range D, both are 8-ply, so it seems the most significant difference comes down to the load capacity.

Pros and Cons:
* Pro for Karrier: Higher load capacity.
* Pro for Endurance: Seems to be a favorite of many.
* Con for Karrier: I've alraedy replaced two prior to yesterday's blowout. Confidence in Karrier is declining.
* Con for Endurance: I'm giving up some load capacity if I replace all four.

So ... do I get the "better" tire and sacrifice some carrying capacity?

Or, any other tire suggestions? (etrailer.com shows Westlake as another option, which I've never heard of.)

Good Year "G" tire is what have used for years:)

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'd go with the Goodyears, I've been running a set for 4 years, and they have been great.

If you are worried about capacity, if you bump up to a 215/75/14 you get 2200lbs, and they are only .6 inches taller.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
So you want the OP to buy E rated tires and run them below maximum pressure thus lowering their weight carrying ability? What does that lower the maximum weight carrying ability to at whatever PSI you recommend, Bucky?
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II

Go with Load Range D if you are concerned about load carrying capacity. I would go with the Endurance of your two choices.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
bucky wrote:
If you go to the E's don't run them at 80 PSI. They'll beat the trailer up.
Have you ever weighed your trailer as loaded? Go from there.

Yes, weigh the trailer. Just because the sticker says 7200lb, doesn't mean that's reality.

Did the tire shop suggest any source for the blowout? If you picked up a screw, tire quality may be a red herring.

Assuming you are below 8000lb (actually more like 9000lb when you factor in the hitch weight), either tire has enough load capacity.

PS: They don't add plys to make tires stronger anymore. So if you cut open the new tire, you won't be able to count up 8 plys. Just go off the load rating.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
The Carlisle HDs are one of the best out there right now. Had them on our TT. I would go with the load range E if they are available in your size.

When I started towing I though Carlisle was a swear word when talking about tires. Have things changed?

Dave Hultin
----------

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you go to the E's don't run them at 80 PSI. They'll beat the trailer up.
Have you ever weighed your trailer as loaded? Go from there.
Puma 30RKSS

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Get 215s for more capacity unless they won’t fit. Likely they will.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

time2roll
Explorer II
Explorer II
I assume the trailer has four tires and the Endurance will cover the full GVWR of the trailer. 7660 vs 8160

The extra rating of the Kendo does not seem to be helping. Quality of the GY is unmatched lately.
This would be an easy decision for me.

davehultin
Explorer
Explorer
As I was aking Mr. Google for some help I found this:

https://tirepressure.com/st205-75r14-tire-pressure

Looks like a good resource to use to geek out on everything about tires! (But I'm still looking for the knowledge of everyone here on the form!)

Dave Hultin
----------