cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Known pros/cons these brands?

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2007 30' Jayco Featherlite didn't make it home from our Alaska trip... so the search is on for a new one.
Looked at some new ones and decided we still need one similar size (up to 32' total). Excursion 7.3L diesel tow vehicle (but we dread the day it dies)...
We are looking at 'gently' used, and have narrowed it down to a few we've seen online, that are 'gently' used. All have the layout we like, so which brands are best, or anything I should know!?!?!
We prefer the look of fiberglass but some of these are aluminum, should we stick to fiberglass?
Want to pay under $30k. These are some available:-

1. 2016- 28' Radiance- Touring Bunkhouse- R-28BHIK- Travel Trailer by Cruiser RV $25k, barely used. has a kitchen island unlike others and 2 slides, so slightly heavier but looks good.
2.2020 Coachmen Travel Trailer RV
CATALINA LEGACY EDITION 263BHSCK $30k
3.2018 Dutchmen Travel Trailer RV
COLEMAN LANTERN 285BH. $30k with some extras inc.

ALSO, HOW TO KNOW IF I BIKE RACK CAN BE ADDED TO IT? THANKS
16 REPLIES 16

mosseater
Explorer
Explorer
Aluminum sided because I like the look, and aluminum frame because hidden water leaks don't care if it's plywood or framing. Aluminum doesn't rot like wood. Those of you denying hidden water leaks just haven't found them yet.
"It`s not important that you know all the answers, it`s only important to know where to get all the answers" Arone Kleamyck
"...An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." Col. Jeff Cooper
Sunset Creek 298 BH

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
wanderingaimlessly wrote:
Arctic fox, Lance, Outdoors Rv are west coast brands that are nigh on to impossible to find east of the Mississippi.
Among the mainstream brands best to worst generally seem to be,,, Grand Design, KZ, Winnebago, Jayco, after that it seems to become a crapshoot,,, the upper end units from Coachmen, Keystone, and Dutchmen probably are next, but you have to look at individual makes.
Remember, appliances, freestanding furniture, built in equipment are the same across most brands, look at construction materials, particle board, plywood etc, and decide based on the line build of what you are looking for.

We are in California so will look out for those brands.. RV Trader site has trailers for sale near me, so sifting through those... quite a few for under $30k...but not many of those higher quality brands!

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
Mike134 wrote:
So what happened to your rig on the way home? Just fall apart or did you have components inside that are commonly the same ones used by all manufacturers fail?

The trailer frame bent and front collapsed, the trailer made it to Alaska from California and all around Alaska, but the road leaving Alaska into Canada is so bad, even driving like a snail it hit a hole and bent. I think the type of frame also wasn't as good as some of the newer ones. So it got towed off and our insurance has been pretty good about paying for all that and hoping to get something back for it too.. unlike Good Sam who after 6 hours on the phone told us to arrange our own towing as they couldn't figure it out...
Anyways, we loved it but it was getting old (but fine for us), so now we want a replacement... but prices are high..but these newer ones do have some nice features 🙂

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
jukes wrote:
LadyRVer wrote:
I have had Forest River products, some OK, some not. Also a Dutchmen, it was OK.

My only thought is an island kitchen.. if you use the trailer going down the road (like I do) usually an island kitchen blocks access to some parts of the trailer. Personally, I would want to see it all closed up to see if I can use the sections I want.

I was in severe weather a couple of years ago. Had to pull the super slide in and stayed in for 3 days.
I was able to use all parts of the fifth-wheel.

Good luck in your new search and sorry for your loss.

oh yes good point about the island!

ok thanks, good tips.

jukes
Explorer
Explorer
LadyRVer wrote:
I have had Forest River products, some OK, some not. Also a Dutchmen, it was OK.

My only thought is an island kitchen.. if you use the trailer going down the road (like I do) usually an island kitchen blocks access to some parts of the trailer. Personally, I would want to see it all closed up to see if I can use the sections I want.

I was in severe weather a couple of years ago. Had to pull the super slide in and stayed in for 3 days.

oh yes good point about the island!

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Arctic fox, Lance, Outdoors Rv are west coast brands that are nigh on to impossible to find east of the Mississippi.
Among the mainstream brands best to worst generally seem to be,,, Grand Design, KZ, Winnebago, Jayco, after that it seems to become a crapshoot,,, the upper end units from Coachmen, Keystone, and Dutchmen probably are next, but you have to look at individual makes.
Remember, appliances, freestanding furniture, built in equipment are the same across most brands, look at construction materials, particle board, plywood etc, and decide based on the line build of what you are looking for.

Mike134
Explorer
Explorer
So what happened to your rig on the way home? Just fall apart or did you have components inside that are commonly the same ones used by all manufacturers fail?
2019 F150 4X4 1903 payload
2018 Adventurer 21RBS 7700 GVWR.

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Boy, I hope that they are making profits. Helps keeping the doors open

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
......"Both corporations are primarily profit driven"

Really? Imagine that. Unless it's a 501(c)(3), show me one that isn't!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

FrayJo
Explorer
Explorer
I prefer Dutchmen Travel Trailer RV. Just like this

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer

Skibane
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coachmen is owned by Forest River, one of the two biggest RV conglomerates.

Dutchmen/Coleman and Cruiser RV are owned by Thor Industries, the other biggest RV conglomerate.

Both corporations are primarily profit-driven, and don't have reputations for building products of exceptional quality.

Some of their stuff is OK, and some of it is pretty bad.

Trackrig wrote:
My preferred mfg is Nash / Arctic Fox.

They have a lot of loyal fans.

One common denominator among all the brands with the best reputations for quality is that they are NOT owned by the big RV conglomerates.

They're all made by relatively small, mom-and-pop outfits.

The sole exception might be Airstream, which is owned by Thor.

SDcampowneroper
Explorer
Explorer
So sorry for your trouble that is having you look for another unit.
We have had both Al. and Fg. walled units, 9 - 12 years each, now 14 years with no intent to change. no preference except FG walled units can be repaired for minor damage. Paint fading and graphics cracking is a common issue after a few years.
2 1/2 " hail did not damage either walls, did knock out roof vents and such.

Do not focus on the exterior so much, rubber roof Fg or Al walls will do you well, with about the same amount of maintenance and ageing issues. its the other quality build that is critical to a unit that gives value and sale interest
Better quality units cost more.

propchef
Explorer
Explorer
jukes wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
I prefer aluminum sided trailers for several reasons which includes not fading like the fiberglass trailers.

My preferred mfg is Nash / Arctic Fox.

Bill

ok thanks
had a quick look, hard to find those brands for sale, or if they are they are 10 years old and $35k! Prices are crazy now.. it wasn't a good time to lose our TT!

Give it until October and you'll see those same models fall within your budget. Used prices are still a little silly right now but coming down.