cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Power jacj

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone replaced manual tongue jack with power jack? And what kind? Anyone ever use the one harbor freight sells? Any info would be appreciated.
8 REPLIES 8

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I installed the Husky HB4500 on my rig. It has a manual crank over ride (if ever needed) and is of the ball screw design. It is of high quality.
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K

gaymeadowsman
Explorer
Explorer
A friend of ours has had the 3500# Harbor Freight jack going on 10 years. never covers it. I installed it for him.
John ๐Ÿ˜›
Ted :R

in search of the next one
2010 Chevy Silverado Ext Cab LT
2015 Chevrolet Impala LT

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
The last sentence above is key. Be sure the switches do not get wet.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trent1980 wrote:
Redcatcher70 wrote:
Not knowing the type of unit you have, be sure to get one with the weight rating of you unit. I have had two different units with electric Jack's, would. Not own a trailer without one.

I have a 21 ft travel trailer

HFs jacks most likely will work OK, sometimes their stuff is a good bargain and sometimes not so much.

They have a 3500 lb and 5000 lb electric jack, with HF I tend to gravitate to more robust versions of things to hedge my bets it will work. They are ACME screw which is what most manual jacks use, ball jacks are nice but cost more.

For your trailer a 3500 lb jack will most likely work.

If you do decide on the 5000 lbs jack, measure the jack tube diameter and the bolt pattern of your existing jack. Heavier built jacks will have a larger tube diameter and wider bolt pattern and if you have the smaller version won't fit your tongue without making modifications.

Also want to check and verify the total lift distance of what you have vs the replacement. The lift of jacks can vary.

One nice thing I noticed about the HF jacks, they have a manual over ride so if the electric motor has a problem you can use the manual option. Not all electric jacks have manual override.

The downside I saw was the switches are exposed to weather and you will want to cover those to protect them.

Trent1980
Explorer
Explorer
Redcatcher70 wrote:
Not knowing the type of unit you have, be sure to get one with the weight rating of you unit. I have had two different units with electric Jack's, would. Not own a trailer without one.

I have a 21 ft travel trailer

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Consider a jack that uses a drill/impact for power with a removal handle to use if needed. An added security measure IMO.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Redcatcher70
Explorer
Explorer
Dave & Pat
2008 Hi-Lo 19T
2004 F250, XLT Crew Cab, V10, finally, enough power!
"No kids, no pets, made it to retirement"

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
on all my trailers with manual jacks I've replaced them with power jacks. For me the only choice is power jacks with a ball screw mechanism, not an acme thread. More expensive but ball screw mechanism has less resistance, less trouble, and generally is longer lasting. I've done 3 such upgrades and in all cases used a barker ball screw jack.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!