cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Onan Running Problems

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 2007 32BA Allergo with a 7000 watt Onan gas generator, the generator ran yesterday for 10 hours then quit, when I tried to restart it was very difficult to restart, after I did get it started again it ran for 10 minutes, and quit again, it was difficult to restart this time also, but did start only to run for 2 minutes...I didn't try to restart again. The red light on the dash switch was flashing off & on, each time the generator quit...It does have plenty of gas RV tank is full, all filters were changed 2 weeks ago, and it has been running great until now.

Anyone have any ideas of where I need to start looking to repair the generator?
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo
19 REPLIES 19

geomusic
Explorer
Explorer
Oops... already responded.
George in Florida
2006 Phoenix Cruiser 2950

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update after a 5 week wait to get into the RV shop, the generator started up and ran for 6 hours with no problem...I know the problem hasn't fixed itself, so with a 47 code which is ignition problem & this unit has a history of fuel pump problems..I am having the ignition packs & the fuel pump replaced..
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

geomusic
Explorer
Explorer
My generator would run for a while, like yours, then shut down and not want to start again until it cooled. I am no mechanic so I can't give advice, but an RV mechanic gave me a tip. On the oil dipstick there is a full mark and a low mark. Generally, the tendency might be to keep the oil level up near the full mark. However, generator oil gets extremely hot and (I assume) expands. The mechanic told me that I should keep the oil level a bit lower toward the fill line allowing the oil room to expand. Of course, if you do that you should check your oil frequently to be sure it doesn't fall too low. Anyway, it worked for me.
George in Florida
2006 Phoenix Cruiser 2950

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
haste maker,

Did you get the problem fixed? If so, what was it?

If you haven't brought it in yet, check the oil level and make sure it's filled up to the fill line, which is kind of a pain to do. My 7K gas Onan was very temperamental with the oil level, especially when I ran multi-viscosity oil in it. When I switched to straight 30W, that pretty much solved the problem.

Worth a shot.

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
I vented my generator compartment. It used to die out when it was 88deg or higher. Now it is good and maybe dies once on a 2 week trip! I still need to wrap the file line and pump as well as the carb.

Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Blackdiamond
Explorer
Explorer
Fuel pump, under $20 on amazon, buy 2.
03' Fleetwood Southwind 32VS
Enclosed Trailer hauling the toys
05 525 EXC KTM
15' FE350s Husqvarna/KTM
07 Rhino, long travel, 4 seater

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Argosy24 wrote:
FloridaRosebud wrote:

I tried that and bought an aftermarket pump for my 5500. It would not fit. Bolt holes would not line up, and there was no way to mod it to make it work. Bought the Onan and fit like it was supposed to.....buyer beware.....

Al

The important specs on a fuel pump are pressure and flow. Bolt holes can be drilled, 3 ft of gas line will probably let you relocate the pump anywhere in the generator compartment, maybe a short extension for the power wire.

It's not really a buyer beware situation, just a little innovation to save quite a bit of money.

Well, like I said in my post, there was no way to mod it to make it work. As an Engineer with over 41 years in the field, it would have been a serious jury-rig to make it work. It is VERY tight in my rig at the jenny. There was not enough metal on the mounting tabs to redrill. So I still think it's a buyer beware situation, as you have to really know your rig. That said, I kept the pump, because, if necessary, I could certainly do a temporary install if necessary to get me home (or wherever).

Al

WinMinnie02
Explorer
Explorer
OP once you fix the generator issue, I always change the oil and air filter on the generator annually - easy task, buy basic hand tools. I also run it monthly for an hour under load and change the oil and air filter annually on the vehicle as well. Class C still going after 20 years.

Argosy24
Explorer
Explorer
FloridaRosebud wrote:

I tried that and bought an aftermarket pump for my 5500. It would not fit. Bolt holes would not line up, and there was no way to mod it to make it work. Bought the Onan and fit like it was supposed to.....buyer beware.....

Al

The important specs on a fuel pump are pressure and flow. Bolt holes can be drilled, 3 ft of gas line will probably let you relocate the pump anywhere in the generator compartment, maybe a short extension for the power wire.

It's not really a buyer beware situation, just a little innovation to save quite a bit of money.

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
I am always amazed at how one person no matter what will try to discredit what someone has posted,I did indeed do what I said and it was the exact same part,if you have money to throw away go for it.

haste_maker
Explorer II
Explorer II
Update according to the code on my unit "47" the problem is "Ignition Fault"...so I will taking it to an Onan repair shop...thanks for all the info..
Retried Teamster
2007 Allergo

FloridaRosebud
Explorer
Explorer
Rickyrocket wrote:
If indeed the fuel pump pull it and look for a part number,Google the part number fuel pump,do not list Onan,most likely it will be a pump for a riding lawnmower costing $25 or so not the $300 for the Onan part.

Al

Rickyrocket
Explorer
Explorer
If indeed the fuel pump pull it and look for a part number,Google the part number fuel pump,do not list Onan,most likely it will be a pump for a riding lawnmower costing $25 or so not the $300 for the Onan part.

allbrandauto
Explorer
Explorer
fuel pump fuel pump fuel pump