cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about the next Tow Vehicle

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking about the next tow vehicle, currently leasing a Dodge Ram 1/2 ton. and going to buy something used. Our TT is 5,100 lbs - dry weight, 25 ft.. Anyone towing with a newer V6 either truck or SUV ? Any ‘ya or nay’ for Toyota Tundra, Toyato Tacoma, Jeep Grand Cherokee(V8), Dodge Durango. Thank you in advance
43 REPLIES 43

aftermath
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surgtech 94, Coming in late here but want to add my two cents. Yes, a half ton can do the job but not all are built the same. Yes, a late model V6 will be up to it. Buying used will still be a shock to the old pocketbook. Prices are crazy high these days.
If you are going to be driving this truck a lot when not towing I suggest you look at the Ford Eco-Boost. This thing has been out for awhile and gets pretty good mileage when not towing. The turbo charged V6 creates plenty of power to tow your trailer, as others have mentioned. When towing, it really isn't much better in the mpg category. I would avoid the Tundra now but it is new so you won't be looking at their V6 if you get a used one. I might be interested in a few years after they work through the start up issues. I am on my second Tundra a 2017 with the 5.7, 6 speed tranny and 4.3 gears. My trailer weighs between 6,000 and 6,5000 going down the road ready for camping. I have weighed it a few times. Never an issue with my Tundra and while both of my Tundras have been trouble free, it is not the best out there for mileage. 58K miles and I get 11-13 or so on trips. Good luck and welcome to retirement!
2017 Toyota Tundra, Double Cab, 5.7L V8
2006 Airstream 25 FB SE
Equalizer Hitch

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Love my 2.7l Silverado. It’s a mighty beast.
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
blt2ski wrote:
Grit,
Op is looking to buy, not leasing. So doing mods as you recommended, or the 1800 lb/1.5" lift add a leaf, plus 2" front lift that I did, is doable, IF he wants to pay for it to be done. Or has tools himself.
My mods allow me to put 3000 in the bed with little drop vs stock.

Our newer trucks are way better than 15 series truck 19-20 years ago or more. Just like 25 series trucks are stronger than the ones I first bought in the 80s.

Marty

I meant his current rig.
Moral of this story is Ram 1500s have schitty rear suspension for hauling and the OP and many others don’t know the difference.
The other moral is either OP has the typical RVer sway paranoia or something (not the truck) is wrong with his setup.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad II
Nomad II
theoldwizard1 wrote:

Different engines on the F150 have different tow ratings. Max tow requires a couple of options !!

While the engines do have an impact, it's rarely the limiting factor. Trucks usually run out of payload first.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

blt2ski
Grit,
Op is looking to buy, not leasing. So doing mods as you recommended, or the 1800 lb/1.5" lift add a leaf, plus 2" front lift that I did, is doable, IF he wants to pay for it to be done. Or has tools himself.
My mods allow me to put 3000 in the bed with little drop vs stock.

Our newer trucks are way better than 15 series truck 19-20 years ago or more. Just like 25 series trucks are stronger than the ones I first bought in the 80s.

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Nvm just read you’re leasing. That kinda takes the modifications option out of the scenario.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
OP, generally I would say figure it out by “feel”, although you don’t seem prepared to be able to diagnose the cause of your poor towing traits. So weigh everything. Tongue weight, trailer weight.
What have you done to the truck, you don’t even say what it is although I’ll ASSUME a newer coil spring Ram 1500. What have you done to the truck? The schitty soft suspension in those can be easily fixed (easier IE cheaper than a new truck) by installing heavy duty coils, or airbags and possibly a heavier sway bar.
But order of magnitude, the sway if it’s true sway is not really explained by the truck and trailer size/weights. IE no gross mismatch there. And presume you have the RVers safety net. IE a wdh with sway control. If you’re swaying uncontrollably with all this, then that generally points to far too LIGHT of tongue weight.

Bottom line the info and/or lack of info makes your scenario difficult to understand.

blt2ski
Grit dog wrote:
3 more pages of scared to tow 3 tons with a new half ton truck…good grief.

Lol

Very true.not sure what you've done, I've done 8500, with 4500-5000 of that a rotating drum with 1.5 yds of concrete. Did 50-55 mph up hwy from Snohomish to hwy 9. A reasonably ave steep grade for that style road.

Marty

blt2ski
5100 plus 1400 equals 6500.
Assuming 10%hw, puts 5850 on 7000 lbs of axles.
I don't see an issue with this at all

Another moderator in he a number of years back, was positive he would only load 700-800 lbs of stuff. I wiegh everything going in. Iirc he loaded 1200 some odd lbs for two of them.

I loaded upwards of 2500 including 6-8 pairs of skis, boots, full water tank, LP every weekend when I used my TT as a ski hut. Then upon occasion came home or left with a foot of snow, 1000-2000 lbs on the roof.

Granted I had an 8 lug truck, as a 15 series would not handle 1200 lbs of adult sized teens, parents, two Alaska malamutes and crates, 150 per dog, generator, 5 gals of fuel in bed......

I would not want to pull OPs trailer with lightest suspension 15 series trucks. But if he gets a higher suspension truck like my GM1500, sets trailer up properly wieght wise etc. He should not have an issue. If I was towing a lot with my truck. I would prefer a 9.5" diff over the 8.5" I have.

Hence why I've said what I've said about looking at the different brands and models of trucks.

Marty

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Surgtech94 wrote:

I don’t think the weight were towing is exceeding the 1/2 ton Ram? If the dry weight is 5100#, I can’t believe we have a lot of extra weight, we’ve got our chairs/loungers, cords, solar lights in the pass thru, some pots and pans, toaster, electric skillet, crockpot, blankets, towels, toilet paper, paper towels, minimum dry good groceries. We’re not hauling water in the tank. In the TV, 2 adults, 2 dogs, cooler, small toolbox.

I know nothing about your Ram's capacity, and it does not matter what it is. You are asking what vehicle you need to tow 1 specific trailer, call it dog. IMHO, the first step in knowing if any vehicle can tow dog within the ratings is KNOW what dog weighs, and how much of that weight is on the nose. Weighing your currant Ram, with all the gear, then again MT, you KNOW what payload capacity you need to carry the tongue and other stuff that rides in TV. And by weighing the whole rig, unhooking TT and weighing again, you KNOW how much capacity you need to tow dog
Without knowing what weight you are dealing with, look at a good used Volvo. I'm sure it will for sure to have capacity, and the sleeper will work for overnighter

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
JRscooby wrote:
nickthehunter wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Nick

I had two 3500 lb tandems, plus hitch wight to work with. Lightest I wieghed was 5300 total.

A semi quick overnight.

Marty
You didn’t answer my question.
But the better question is - Do you recommend the OP load up his 25 foot trailer with 1400 lbs of stuff and head out on the highway?
But in reality that’s just a hypothetical question also. The real question is “OP, what is the GVWR of “your” trailer.” That’s the real info needed for any realistic advice.
Baffles me why in 4 pages no one bothered to ask that question- instead of speculating about what that trailer should weigh out on the road.

The OP has been using the trailer for a while now right? I think a much better question would be what the actual weight of the trailer is. If it is more than rating, (Likely) might want to adjust. But that is the number needs to tow.

I don’t think the weight were towing is exceeding the 1/2 ton Ram? If the dry weight is 5100#, I can’t believe we have a lot of extra weight, we’ve got our chairs/loungers, cords, solar lights in the pass thru, some pots and pans, toaster, electric skillet, crockpot, blankets, towels, toilet paper, paper towels, minimum dry good groceries. We’re not hauling water in the tank. In the TV, 2 adults, 2 dogs, cooler, small toolbox.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
nickthehunter wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Nick

I had two 3500 lb tandems, plus hitch wight to work with. Lightest I wieghed was 5300 total.

A semi quick overnight.

Marty
But the better question is - Do you recommend the OP load up his 25 foot trailer with 1400 lbs of stuff and head out on the highway?
But in reality that’s just a hypothetical question also. The real question is “OP, what is the GVWR of “your” trailer.” That’s the real info needed for any realistic advice.
Baffles me why in 4 pages no one bothered to ask that question- instead of speculating about what that trailer should weigh out on the road.

The OP has been using the trailer for a while now right? I think a much better question would be what the actual weight of the trailer is. If it is more than rating, (Likely) might want to adjust. But that is the number needs to tow.

Surgtech94
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
blt2ski wrote:
Nick

A semi quick overnight.

Marty

GVWR/PNBV 3091 KG (6800
Weight of cargo should not exceed 1670 lbs
GAWR (each axle) PNBE 3500 lb

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
blt2ski wrote:
Nick

A semi quick overnight.

Marty