cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cleaning your 7-pin connector: air gun brushes

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I finally found the little wire brush that is small enough to get between and clean each of seven sections of a trailer's seven-pin connector, so I pass this discovery along in case I am not the only one who did not know how to find them.

It's called a air-gun brush, or a paint-sprayer brush. I found some at Harbor Freight, but in the paint-sprayer department. (Thanks to Harbor Freight for directing me to the right department.) Amazon has them, too.
15 REPLIES 15

Latner
Nomad
Nomad
A shot of WD40 works for me.

johndeerefarmer
Explorer III
Explorer III
I clean my contacts with WD40 electronics contact cleaner and then give them a coat of DeoxIT. I used the stuff for years in electronics and it works great.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0014F110I/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1
2020 Ford 350 6.7 PSD & 2017 F150 3.5 EB max tow
GD Reflection 29rs

jffnkrn
Explorer
Explorer
I have kept my trailer plugs, bumper pulls and now fifth wheels up and out of the dirt, pointed down or now in the hitch. Never had an issue, also make sure the plug on the truck is kept closed when not in use. I guess it wouldn't hurt to add a little electrical lube to the male and female plugs. 🙂

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
I've been using this for years:

https://www.crcindustries.com/products/2-26-174-multi-purpose-precision-lubricant-11-wt-oz.html
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
After cleaning squirt Di-Electric grease into the connections and plug into 7 pin on TV. Now when storing cord leave the end pointing down. NO need for a cap that can trap moisture and cause corossion.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
keeping it lubricated...I have no issues...even on 10 year old trailers.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
I store my connector in a bag inside the kingpin housing when parked. I use a shot to dielectric grease every so often. I’ve never had a disconnect or any indication of a connection problem since new in 2018. Trailer has over 20,000 miles and around 50 campgrounds.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, BarneyS, you have it.

I had been getting "trailer disconnected" and "turn signal not working" messages off and on for some time, and my trailer brake and turn lights finally stopped working. I was afraid that the problem might be hard to trace, but just cleaning the trailer's 7-pin contacts solved the problem.

The OP

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Is this the one?
Air brush cleaning tools
Barney
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
Great suggestion/idea. I’ll get over there today. Nice one!
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I just went to harborfreight.com and typed in sprayer brush in the search box and the top.
Thanks for the tip RoyF
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Picture? Part#?
Currently Between RVs

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
RoyF wrote:
I finally found the little wire brush that is small enough to get between and clean each of seven sections of a trailer's seven-pin connector, so I pass this discovery along in case I am not the only one who did not know how to find them.

It's called a air-gun brush, or a paint-sprayer brush. I found some at Harbor Freight, but in the paint-sprayer department. (Thanks to Harbor Freight for directing me to the right department.) Amazon has them, too.

Handy tip. Thankyou.

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe I have just been lucky but after I started keeping mine covered with di-letric grease about 30 years ago I have not needed to clean them